: Lubricating door latch

BluEyes
06-05-06, 04:52 PM
What is the best lubricant for the door latches on a 1970 SDV?
I've got the door latch out of the door and have cleaned off 36 years worth of caked on dust, dirt, and grime. I've temporatily sprayed it down with liquid wrench to keep anything from rusting, but I don't know what is the best lubricant to put on all the inner bits of the latch before putting it back in the car.

Any suggestions?

90Brougham350
06-05-06, 05:08 PM
I've been told to use motor oil on door components and hinges.

Johnny Bravo
06-06-06, 12:25 AM
Lubriplate grease.

eldorado99
06-06-06, 02:05 AM
Lubriplate grease.
Seconded

BluEyes
06-06-06, 09:44 AM
Well, it certainly looked like there was some stuff that used to be grease in there (maybe it was back when I was born haha) so I guess I'll have to hit the parts stores and see if I can find this stuff.

The latch sure was gross. Probably has something to do with the inch of dirt that I pulled out of the bottom of the door as well. Maybe after everything is cleaned and lubed up my power locks will work correctly.

eldorado99
06-06-06, 04:55 PM
Well, it certainly looked like there was some stuff that used to be grease in there (maybe it was back when I was born haha) so I guess I'll have to hit the parts stores and see if I can find this stuff.

The latch sure was gross. Probably has something to do with the inch of dirt that I pulled out of the bottom of the door as well. Maybe after everything is cleaned and lubed up my power locks will work correctly.

Yeah I'm having the same problem with my locks, and I had the same problem with my latch. Let me know if you find a way to fix those locks. Mine don't even think about working. The lock switch doesnt to squat, the interior lights dont dim when I push it so its not even drawing any power.:mad:

BluEyes
06-06-06, 06:22 PM
Sorry, can't help you there. My power solenoids work :D
Before, if you held the switch to the lock side, three of the locks would lock after a bit as the solenoid slowly pulled the lock down. The 4th would go with just a bit of help. All 4 unlocked easily.

Unless they used different styles of solenoid later during the '70 model year, the solenoids look non-rebuildable. So if the solenoids are at fault then you're probably stuck scouring junkyards. Fortunately the door panels are easy enough to remove. I assume you have checked the circuit breaker and wiring for the power locks?

I got one latch back in after throughly lubricating it (and then wiping the excess off) and it sure does work more smoothly now. The hardest part of the whole thing is the little locking tabs that hold the controll rods onto the latch. Dang those are a pain, but I haven't broken or lost any (yet).

I really love how this car, despite being a top-line luxury car, is an absolute joy to work on. With just a bit of patience and knowing where all the attachments are, almost everything comes apart and goes back together with ease. I don't really like the metal tab fasteners they have on the door panels, but they're backed up by a handfull of screws which do a wonderful job on their own. This is the one car I know of where I wouldn't have a problem taking parts apart again and again if nessacary because I can do it without any worry of breaking some impossible to find part. True quality, I love it.

eldorado99
06-07-06, 01:26 AM
Sorry, can't help you there. My power solenoids work :D
Before, if you held the switch to the lock side, three of the locks would lock after a bit as the solenoid slowly pulled the lock down. The 4th would go with just a bit of help. All 4 unlocked easily.

Unless they used different styles of solenoid later during the '70 model year, the solenoids look non-rebuildable. So if the solenoids are at fault then you're probably stuck scouring junkyards. Fortunately the door panels are easy enough to remove. I assume you have checked the circuit breaker and wiring for the power locks?

I got one latch back in after throughly lubricating it (and then wiping the excess off) and it sure does work more smoothly now. The hardest part of the whole thing is the little locking tabs that hold the controll rods onto the latch. Dang those are a pain, but I haven't broken or lost any (yet).

I really love how this car, despite being a top-line luxury car, is an absolute joy to work on. With just a bit of patience and knowing where all the attachments are, almost everything comes apart and goes back together with ease. I don't really like the metal tab fasteners they have on the door panels, but they're backed up by a handfull of screws which do a wonderful job on their own. This is the one car I know of where I wouldn't have a problem taking parts apart again and again if nessacary because I can do it without any worry of breaking some impossible to find part. True quality, I love it.

Thanks for the info! Yeah I checked the fusebox and everything was ok, that sure does seem like the nature of the problem though. I have a hard time believing that all four solonoids don't work though its possible. I probably just have a bad piece of wire somewhere or something. I totally agree with you on how this car was constructed. Unlike any other car I've worked on (though not a huge amount) the way everything on this car was put together just makes sense. Its all very logical and easy to figure out. For example the dash, on any other car or luxury car for that matter the dash is a convoluted piece of frustration, on this car everything makes sense, its all held together with screws for the most part and all the wiring makes sense with a diagram. Another example; without having ever done it before I was able to take the power window switch out of the drivers door, clean it, put it back in and hook it up in about 5-10 minutes.

scurling
06-07-06, 02:33 PM
Grease on the door latch will provide the longest lubrication. I like the white Lithium grease that you can spray into small areas.

N0DIH
06-07-06, 04:19 PM
GM Recommends motor oil in every car I have owned on hinges.

I've been told to use motor oil on door components and hinges.

Johnny Bravo
06-07-06, 07:32 PM
GM Recommends motor oil in every car I have owned on hinges.
That's for maintainence, it's difficult to get grease into the latch after it's installed. From the factory they come greased with Lubriplate or similar.

I don't care for the white lithium spray grease either, seems to dry out quickly.