: Radiator Sealant

Yaemish
06-05-06, 03:12 PM
I think I am having the head bolt issue with my Northstar. I grushed up some of the supliment tablets (nearly double what you put in on a coolant change) and added them. Dove, 7 miles one way, 7 back, 7 back again, and then maybe 10 miles. After all these trips the engine wa allowed to cool. On the last trip, I had my mechanic do the chemical test (looks like a turkey baster) and tested for O2 inthe coolant resivour. The color didn't change and he didn't think any O2 was getting through. Should it have sealed that qucikly and is it safe to drive the car a few hours?

dkozloski
06-05-06, 08:09 PM
The coolant tablets don't do a damn thing for a blown head gasket. There is no product on the face of the earth that will seal up the problem. Either the gasket leaks or it doesn't. If it doesn't leak you are good to go. If it does leak you're toast.

zonie77
06-05-06, 11:41 PM
Yaemish, on another thread you said your mechanic determined the head gaskets were leaking. What test did he use?

The tablets won't seal head gaskets.

Yaemish
06-06-06, 10:46 AM
I really have no idea. It wasn't my regular mechanic that said that. When I was getting my oil changed at the Chevy dealership, I had asked them to just do a quick diag becuase I thought it was running a little rough (hadn't driven it in a few days but that usually doesn't happen(.

One of the guys said that they did a test ("this test is usually 90% accutrate). I woul dassume they did the chemical test with the turkey baster thing, but I'm not sure. They tossed some tabs into it and I brought it home.

For peace of mind and before I did anything drastic I took it to my real mechanic who works on northstars every day. He did the chemical test and didn't have any color change.... Sooooo I guess I just wait it out.

But logically, I can imagine that the tablets sealed up a leak in a few trips under 10 miles each.