: Lease Turn-in - Run Flats Required?

NC STS-V
06-04-06, 11:44 PM
My V will come off lease in less than a year and I need new tires. I'm trying to figure out if I have to have EMT's on the car when I turn it in at the end of the lease (GMAC).

Has anyone confirmed run flats are (or are not) required?

Thanks!

Ron

Florian
06-05-06, 10:11 AM
it shouldnt matter, they may charge you for the difference between the type of tire you have vs. the cost of EMTs.

F

dannystang
06-05-06, 11:35 AM
My V will come off lease in less than a year and I need new tires. I'm trying to figure out if I have to have EMT's on the car when I turn it in at the end of the lease (GMAC).

Thanks!

Ron

No.

It has the have a minimum tread which is on your contract.

Same size tire yes.

ANY tire so buy the cheapest crap you can find and slap it on.

Been through this a few times.

chiro444
06-05-06, 12:04 PM
I turned in a lease car with 3 different brands of tires a few years back and they didn't say a thing because all they cared about was the amount of tread.

atdeneve
06-05-06, 02:27 PM
I turned in a lease car with 3 different brands of tires a few years back and they didn't say a thing because all they cared about was the amount of tread.

I really hope that it was a set of one brand on the front, a set from another brand on the back, and the final brand being the spare. If you just started mixing it up, though I would have to commend you on your unique creativity, I certainly would not want to be riding in your car on a daily basis.

Oh, and your dealer should be tarred and feathered, if he actually sells the vehicle with a hodgepodge of different tires.

lasstss
06-05-06, 03:13 PM

Thanks!

Ron

The V has no spare so it should have run flats. If the dealer has a bunch of Bobo's that look at the car, you will get away with it. Its their problem if the guy gets a flat and finds out the hard way, if they were on the ball, they would check.

Vlightful
06-05-06, 03:36 PM
My lease will also be up in a little over a year. I went to RSA's to be sure of the tread depth requirement(didn't think I would make it on new F1's). I believe you will have to have "Run Flats" on the car or they may charge you the difference. My previous cars that I leased I know you are not allowed to turn them in with snow tires on even if your lease is up in winter.

chiro444
06-05-06, 10:28 PM
I literally drove the car (not a V) from the used tire place with 3 different brands of tires to the dealer to turn it in. I would never drive my own car that way.

guyspat
06-05-06, 10:55 PM
Tread depth and same size are the only requirements. GMAC will send a kit just before your lease ends and there is nothing in it about having the same tires as came with the vehicle. I used to think that the lease company checked maintenance and believed the vehicle had to be perfect, but having turned in four leased vehicles for three different manufacturers (GMAC, Saab Financial and Volkswagen) I know this is not the case. In fact, I would never buy a vehicle off a lease, because you can use them up and as long as the tires have depth and there is no significant body and interior damage (GMAC conveniently sends you a template to measure the size of scratches etc.) you are golden...

Lanman
12-25-06, 09:37 PM
Hey guys,
I just wanted to bump this thread again to see if anyone has been required to put run flats back on their V before turning it in at the end of the lease. I've got just over a year left on my lease and it's just about time to buy more tires so if I need to put run flats back on now's the time to do it.

Ryan's '05-V
12-25-06, 09:56 PM
I will be turning my lease in to the dealer this week without runflats and expect everything to be fine. PM me next week and I should know for sure.

benh
12-26-06, 11:04 AM
I would be very surprised if they didnt look for the runcraps and then require you to make up for the fact that they're not on if that is the case; if you get away with it, that would be great. I think the lease can be read to require them due to the lack of a spare (real issue is what if you tossed a spare in there (and jack), which likley would still be cheaper than the runflats...). Like others on here, I took my runflats off at about 1/2 life (a paltry 5K miles) and replaced them with gsd3s, figuring that I was going to need a set of new tires at some point during the life of the lease. So just before turning her in I will remount the original runflats. Gsd3s are holding up well and should take me to the end of the lease.

benh
12-26-06, 11:05 AM
PS maybe James at Lindsay has some experience in this...

NC STS-V
12-26-06, 10:14 PM
I called GMAC and spoke with someone who is in the group responsible for turn-in's and associated charges. They told me that if EMT's came as original equipment on the car, then it should be turned in with EMT's.

I don't think she had a clue what a run-flat tire was, and I highly doubt that they are going to know enough to check, but I don't want to gamble and then end up receiving a $1200 turn-in charge for 4 new EMT's!

My turn-in is in May 2007 and my tires were shot so I decided to put RS-A EMT's on. I only have 200 miles on the tires but so far I have not been impressed!

Ron

Lanman
12-27-06, 07:44 AM
My turn-in is in May 2007 and my tires were shot so I decided to put RS-A EMT's on. I only have 200 miles on the tires but so far I have not been impressed!

Ron

That's exactly what I'm worried about. My lease isn't up until March 2008 so whatever I buy will be on the car for just over a year. I don't want crappy tires for that long but I also don't want to put the F1's back on either. I only got 10K miles out of the original F1's so they won't even last a full year. Decisions... Decisions.... Decisions.... :bonkers:

Kadonny
12-27-06, 09:08 AM
Put on the F1's, run them for the year, by that time they'll be worn out. Then buy the RSAs and put them on to turn the car back in.

NC STS-V
01-12-07, 09:04 PM
I will be turning my lease in to the dealer this week without runflats and expect everything to be fine. PM me next week and I should know for sure.

Any update on the turn-in Ryan?

Lanman
04-07-07, 10:00 PM
Does anybody else have any additional information on whether or not we have to have run flats on the car at the end of the lease? I've gotta get new tires this week and I would love to go with the Pilot Sport A/S's again but they don't come in run flats.

Ryan's '05-V
04-07-07, 11:24 PM
Yeah, sorry. I PM'd someone a while back but guess I forgot to post my results.
NO RUNFLATS are needed. I had very little tread on a pair of tires with back ups ready to put on but they were not needed nor were runflats. I had a paid of Avon 550s and GY RSA no runflats on my car when I turned it in and everything was fine.

I took my 285/35/18 off and made sure they were all stock sizes with 245s.
Good luck to the rest of you. I really miss my V but maybe someday.

2k6V4me
04-08-07, 02:04 AM
My mom does GMAC lease return inspections. The only thing she checks for is tire size and tread wear when it comes to the tires. They don't give a shit what brand tires you have or if they are RFT or not. She said she rarely looks at the tire size to see if it's the same, as long as it doesn't look obviously different than stock.

Lanman
04-08-07, 10:16 AM
Okay, I've seen where 2 or 3 people have said they didn't have to have run flats on the car when they turned it in but has anybody tried to turn there car in without them and where told that they had to have them?

ItsJustMyCaddy
04-08-07, 11:35 AM
My mom does GMAC lease return inspections. The only thing she checks for is tire size and tread wear when it comes to the tires. They don't give a shit what brand tires you have or if they are RFT or not. She said she rarely looks at the tire size to see if it's the same, as long as it doesn't look obviously different than stock.

Good Info.

2k6V4me
04-08-07, 02:44 PM
Just don't go lifting your V and putting monster truck tires on it and you will be fine... GMAC is a lot more lenient than other lease companies. If you have a door ding or dent bigger than a credit card, you get charged, if you have chips on your windshield, you get charged, if you have a different brand of tires or different type of tire, as long as it looks like it fits good, you dont get charged. The GMAC inspectors don't really even know the difference between the V and the regular CTS. They do notice if the wheels are different than stock and they charge up the ass for those.

1fstkde
04-08-07, 04:31 PM
Does anybody else have any additional information on whether or not we have to have run flats on the car at the end of the lease? I've gotta get new tires this week and I would love to go with the Pilot Sport A/S's again but they don't come in run flats.
just returned my car last week...they didnt say anything about my tires. i think they were more happy to see that i kept it clean..I REALLY MISS IT!!!!!!!!! i didnt get another one yet because the sales rep told me to wait till the 15th because they are comming out with some incentives..:thumbsup:..so ill keep you guys posted if i get an sts-v or another cts-v!!

1fstkde
04-08-07, 04:35 PM
Just don't go lifting your V and putting monster truck tires on it and you will be fine... GMAC is a lot more lenient than other lease companies. If you have a door ding or dent bigger than a credit card, you get charged, if you have chips on your windshield, you get charged, if you have a different brand of tires or different type of tire, as long as it looks like it fits good, you dont get charged. The GMAC inspectors don't really even know the difference between the V and the regular CTS. They do notice if the wheels are different than stock and they charge up the ass for those.they let chips in the windshield go as long as it is not cracked..i had three of them when i went on the coast to coast run..they issue you a packet before your lease runs out, on how big a chip can be, a dent, and a cigarett burn in a seat could be..very usefull..oh and also a tire thread indicator.