: TPS Problem....Wont reprogram

JOEYCTS-V
06-04-06, 05:03 PM
I just recently had my Falkens put on and all the TPS sensors worked just fine. Now, 2 days later, after arriving at work (40 miles) my right front and my left rear tire sensors read ---. When trying to reprogram them, everything goes well except when I get to the right front tire (the second tire in the procedure). The horn will not honk. I tried both putting air in and taking air out, waiting, etc. What gives? I've reprogrammed my sensors in the past without a hitch. :mad:

RedGalant2k1
06-04-06, 05:16 PM
I just recently had my Falkens put on and all the TPS sensors worked just fine. Now, 2 days later, after arriving at work (40 miles) my right front and my left rear tire sensors read ---. When trying to reprogram them, everything goes well except when I get to the right front tire (the second tire in the procedure). The horn will not honk. I tried both putting air in and taking air out, waiting, etc. What gives? I've reprogrammed my sensors in the past without a hitch. :mad:

What are you using to reprogram them?

JOEYCTS-V
06-04-06, 05:22 PM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/tprepro.html

Jon
06-04-06, 05:27 PM
Your right front sensor is dead.

JOEYCTS-V
06-04-06, 05:57 PM
Why did it die? It worked fine for a couple of days. Is my left rear dead too?

RedGalant2k1
06-04-06, 10:38 PM
Follow the same procedure using a TIPS Tool. Your local cadillac dealer or tire shop should have one.

Jon
06-04-06, 11:18 PM
Why did it die? It worked fine for a couple of days. Is my left rear dead too?
Maybe it got knocked loose when they mounted your tires, and they moved around inside for a couple days, then died.

atdeneve
06-05-06, 04:07 AM
It's not necessarily true that your sensors are dead. For some reason or other, this seems to happen on my TPSs, as well (reading "---" on the DIC display). But, eventually, they do return to the numerical readings, at least in my case. Weird thing is, it doesn't give the flashing exclamation display as it does when your tires are below the acceptable pressure limits - i.e., flat.

Interestingly enough, I've seen it happen twice while driving in really rainy weather - once on the left front and another time on both the left front and rear. First time it happened, it got me a little bugged out. Pulled off the interstate into a gas station, checked the tire and it wasn't flat. Uhh, okay?

So, is this normal? Is it okay? Is it broken? Is it safe? No idea. Surely, this couldn't be characterized as normal function, but, then again, who's to say what's normal, especially on such a quirky character as the V.

But, I guess, if it hasn't return to normal readings within the span of one day, it probably is broken.

Jon
06-05-06, 08:44 AM
It's not necessarily true that your sensors are dead. For some reason or other, this seems to happen on my TPSs, as well (reading "---" on the DIC display). But, eventually, they do return to the numerical readings, at least in my case. Weird thing is, it doesn't give the flashing exclamation display as it does when your tires are below the acceptable pressure limits - i.e., flat.

Interestingly enough, I've seen it happen twice while driving in really rainy weather - once on the left front and another time on both the left front and rear. First time it happened, it got me a little bugged out. Pulled off the interstate into a gas station, checked the tire and it wasn't flat. Uhh, okay?

So, is this normal? Is it okay? Is it broken? Is it safe? No idea. Surely, this couldn't be characterized as normal function, but, then again, who's to say what's normal, especially on such a quirky character as the V.

But, I guess, if it hasn't return to normal readings within the span of one day, it probably is broken.
But his won't reprogram. I had one go dead, and it wouldn't honk when I got to that sensor while reprogramming. It was replaced under warranty and then everything was fine.

tedcmiller
06-05-06, 08:46 AM
I have had two TPM failures. In both cases, the failed TPMs reported readings in error ranging from lower than actual pressure to zero pressure. Pressure indications outside the normal range cause the flashing exclamtion display. The failed TPMs also, on occasion, failed to communicate with the system. This is what causes "---" in the place of the pressure display and the flashing exclamation point is not displayed. This is because the system assumes that a lack of communication is just that, and is not necessarily an indication of low pressure.

The bottom line is that all of these conditions and the associated displays can result from defective or intermittantly defective TPMs. In many cases hardware, like TPMs, can indicate a problem then never have that problem again. Or, they can repeatedly fail and recover. If there is an indication of a problem with a TPM, the best approach is to have it replaced. Both of my failed TPMs were replaced under warranty.

An unreliable diagnostic tool is worse than no tool at all. Out of four indications of low tire pressure by the TPMs on my car, two were geniune and the other two were defective TPMs. While this is not a particularly good success rate, I suppose that it is better than nothing at all, since you might not notice a low-pressure condition with run-flat tires.

atdeneve
06-05-06, 01:34 PM
Oh, I see.

So, if you get intermittent readings of "---", would that warrant a replacement under warranty? Indeed, what good is an unreliable diagnostic tool. I guess, if it is the case that my TPSs are faulty, the only problem would be getting the DIC to read that while the service technicians are there. Otherwise, the dreaded "could not duplicate".

JOEYCTS-V
06-05-06, 04:35 PM
Well, I've driven another 100 miles and it still reads the same. If I bring it to the dealer they'll most likely blame it on the place that installed the tires. Is there a way I can disable the 2 working sensors without removing the tires so I'll be able to go into Competition mode and disable Stability Control?? I really don't need to know the pressure in the tires. Thanks in advance.

tedcmiller
06-06-06, 08:28 AM
If the TPM fails to communicate with the system, even intermittently, it is definitely defective and is eligible for warranty replacement. I have no idea what yours or any other dealer will do about warranty actions if tire replacement by a third party is involved. As I have mentioned in previous posts, I always use the dealer for repair or replacement activity while the car is under warranty because of the frequent problems created by those who do not have the knowledge, the correct equipment, or any incentive to do a proper job. If the dealer screws up the job on a car still under warranty, he is obligated to fix it properly at no cost to the car owner.

Of my two TPM failures, one was solid and the other was intermittent. I purposely avoided calling the dealer's attention to the intermittent problem until it stayed in its failure mode long enough to demonstrate the problem. I actually made three trips to the dealer before the TPM would stay in the failure long enough for them to see it. Then they replaced the TPM immediately.