: The Snow And A Rwd Sts...any Good?

WEATHERBY460
06-04-06, 01:06 PM
I am trying to decide on a sts or a dts....i am leaning towards a dts because it is front wheel drive and a 6 seater. But I have heard the rwd sts does pretty good in icy/snow conditiopns....is this true?

Also what can i expect for mpg from the v8 sts or dts...thanks.

Cajonkev
06-04-06, 02:08 PM
Try running a few searches as there are several threads and many comments on this already.

The general consensus I believe is that the STS is not well suited for snow/ice as a RWD and the AWD STS4 does better. many folks have recommended switching out the OEM tires for snow/winter tread and wheels during the winter months. YMMV and certainly exact geo location and general driving conditions apply.

Since we do not generally discuss DTS's here there is little side by side comparison info. They are completely different beasts but it would typically go that with the FWD, longer wheelbase, weight distro etc. etc. etc. the DTS performs better in same similar conditions against the RWD STS and unknown against the AWD.

There are some specific threads on mileage already as well. Folks report various numbers from 17 city to 22-24 hwy. Again lots of variables in location, fuel, driving habits and ECM adjustments.

justgreat
06-04-06, 05:22 PM
if your ride is something that will be used every day for work and such, go with the dts. i'm waiting on an sts6 and would never consider the rwd platform if i had to contend with a winter season in the northeast and commuting to and from work. one bit of advice on the sts if you go that route: absolutely put on snows at each corner and make sure the width of the snows are narrower by at least 1/2 sizes. there's way too much rubber on the road for good snow traction. you want to focus the weight of the car on as narrow a tire patch as possible for good traction in snow. the handling will suck in the dry but it's a small price to pay for that extra piece of mind in the white stuff.

jackg
06 sts6 on order

RedGalant2k1
06-04-06, 06:22 PM
I would recommend using a full winter tire on either the STS or DTS. Front drive cars tend to push easily on snow if your not careful. Rear drive cars tend to oversteer if you aren't careful. Both can be acceptable cars to drive in winter (I've driven both rwd cars/trucks and fwd cars in heavy snow). To be totally honest a rwd car or truck is much more fun to drive in winter. My fwd car could barely make it out of heavy snow on my dirt road in winter.

Using full snow tires at all corners on any car (RWD, FWD, or even AWD), is the best thing possible to do.

malcolm
06-05-06, 11:47 AM
I have an 05 STS and it's performance in the snow is pityful. Matter of fact it's pretty bad on wet pavement too. On dry pavement it's lots of fun but I have serious doubts about ever buying a RWD again. I hear the AWD is good.

MacDougal
06-05-06, 04:01 PM
The OEM tires on my 05 STS are terrible in the snow. Four snow tires made a tremendous difference.

Jon
06-05-06, 05:33 PM
I have a CTS-V and a CTS. I drove the CTS through a heavy winter (I'm in Ontario, Canada) on the stock tires and had no problems. After that, I added a V, and I have Blizzaaks for the winter. Again, no problems. You'll be fine with the STS. :)

Cajonkev
06-05-06, 06:08 PM
Absolutely no offence but the STS is a competely different car on a different chassis than either of the CTS's.

The two comments above yours are fairly indicative of STS performance in wet/ice/snow conditions according to multiple threads on this topic.

But glad your sled stayed on its skis...:bouncy:

Jesda
06-05-06, 07:14 PM
Tires tires tires! Every RWD car needs a set for each season.

GA1019
06-11-06, 03:15 PM
buy the dts. snow handling and the sts (with any tires) is the worst i've ever experienced.

corvette00
06-11-06, 08:03 PM
Blizzaks make a big diffrence, however I will either opt for an awd or DTS next.

Louisstoll
06-13-06, 11:50 AM
I have a 2005 STS with RWD, live in Minnesota and get lots of ice that tends to last. The car does not do well with the std tires. I switched to snow tires last fall and it was better but not to my satisfaction. I put about 200 lbs of sand in the trunk (local h/w store carry tubes of sand just for this reason.) The car performed very well and only noticed about a 2 MPG reduction in mileage. It is a bit of a pain to switch the tires in the spring/fall but not that bad. I have a 60K mile lease and my seasons are half winter half summer so I look at it as having bought the tires I would have had to buy anyway so ultimately the cost is not that great

justgreat
06-13-06, 01:20 PM
it's amazing that with all the "advacements" made in the last 40 years of automobile design that it still takes a bag of sand in the trunk to get through the white stuff. it makes sense though: there is a definite front bias for the weight distribution especially for the v8 and that ain't good for the winter.

all the talk about the merits of rwd versus fwd re winter driving; you can't beat the fact that fwd has the lion's share of it's weight over the driven wheels....very important when it comes to winter driving.

jackg
06sts6 on order

Wiseguy2
06-16-06, 12:41 AM
My STS is going to share the driveway with a veritable fleet of BMWs, all of which are RWD, and all of which are fantastic in the snow.... because I use snow tires.

I can remember this past winter fighting to get the stupid FWD Volvo to move in a blizzard with its' all-season Michelin MXM4s while my '88 M5 was having no trouble at all driving around.. on Pirelli SnowSports. From the looks of it my STS has 235-50-17s up front and 255-45-17s in the rear. I'll be putting 215-5517s or 235-50-17s all round the car this winter and expect no problems at all.

justgreat
06-16-06, 10:35 AM
i would agree...rwd without snows is dicey, at best. the trick with the sts will be to find snows in a narrower size, while maintaining the same overall circumference. the narrower tires will help bigtime in the white stuff...there will be some loss of dry weather adhesion, but it's a small price to pay for the additional grip in the snow.

jackg
06 sts6 on order...got my vin!!