: Transmission squeak?

TripleblackETC
06-04-06, 06:47 AM
This only occurs when I manually shift the car....but going from 1st to 2nd gear there is a noticeable squeak or chirp when the car shifts. Any idea what this could be? Again, it doesn't occur when the car is in drive and shifting automatically...just when I do it manually.

danbuc
06-04-06, 03:44 PM
Are you sure it's not your tires breaking loose from the road and spinning? I know whenever I throw the shifter in second and floor it the tires always brake loose and spin when it shifts. How hard are you pressing the gas pedal when you do this?

SL1CK
06-04-06, 04:20 PM
Might be just the tires and not the transmissoin.

TripleblackETC
06-04-06, 07:30 PM
Nope...this is quite different. It's definitely not the tires. I'm driving normal, not gunning it or anything like that. I've done what you two are talking about -- chirping the tires on a shift -- and this is definitely a different sound.

danbuc
06-05-06, 04:38 AM
Hmm...the only other thing I can think of is maybe it's the sound of friction and steel plates scraping against eachother as they slip. How often do you drive around with the gear selector in 2nd? It's kinda hard to tell with these kinds of noises without actually hearing them first hand. At what speed does this normally occur. Also, if it is not making the noise and still shifting perfectly in D, you might think about just leaving it there. It doesn't take much to turn a nnocent squeak, into some not so innocent slippage. Can you hear the noise form within the car with the windows up (or radio on for that matter) or is it the kind of noise where you need to hear it bounce off a median with the windows open or something?

TripleblackETC
06-05-06, 02:28 PM
Hmm...the only other thing I can think of is maybe it's the sound of friction and steel plates scraping against eachother as they slip. How often do you drive around with the gear selector in 2nd? It's kinda hard to tell with these kinds of noises without actually hearing them first hand. At what speed does this normally occur. Also, if it is not making the noise and still shifting perfectly in D, you might think about just leaving it there. It doesn't take much to turn a nnocent squeak, into some not so innocent slippage. Can you hear the noise form within the car with the windows up (or radio on for that matter) or is it the kind of noise where you need to hear it bounce off a median with the windows open or something?

I don't drive around often with the gear selector in 2nd. Just sometimes if I come to a stop light I'll drop it down to 1st and progressively shift up to drive when the light turns green (no reason really, just for kicks). I noticed that it's more at what RPMs I'm at than how fast I'm going. I'm pretty sure the noise occurs around 4500 rpms. And it's definitley a noise I can only hear with the windows down and radio off, so it's not like it's a really noticeable sound.

But like you said...the car runs fine in D so the easy solution is to just not manually shift if I can avoid it...which I usually do anyway.

I do know that I need an input speed sensor, but I'm not sure if that's relevant to this problem or not.

danbuc
06-05-06, 02:53 PM
Strange. I'm not really quite sure what to make of the noise. It's really hard to say for certain what it could be since I (or anyone here for that matter) can't actually hear it. There's really not too many things in the transmission that can produce a squeaking sound. There are plenty of thing that can produce whining or screeching sounds, but a squeak is somewhat puzzling.

auroradude
06-06-06, 01:05 PM
I know what he is talking about. If I leave my trans in 1st or 2nd and let it shift (not moving it manually, but leaving it in say, 2 and letting it upshift to second) it is definately a firmer, raspier shift. You can feel it. HOWEVER, when you floor it in 1st or second on the selector, it is a very violent shift. Sounds like sandpaper rubbing against a cement block or something.

Since your car is the same year of mine, same transmission, does it also (when up to operating temp) whine (like a wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee) when you put it into drive from R or neutral gear? Only when its warm though...Thats what mine does and its very noticeable. Guys at school used to tell me they could hear it when I pull out. Now because of this if i have to run back in the house when i forget something, I leave it in gear and put the parking brake on instead of using park to disengage again. Not sure if that is better or worse, but its only for a minute.

danbuc
06-06-06, 03:02 PM
Sounds like sandpaper rubbing against a cement block or something.

If that sounds is coming from your tramsission and not your tires....THAT'S BAD! Any kind of scraping or screaching sounds from within the transmission can be a sign of slipping clutch packs (especially when it only occurs during a shift). The higher shift pressure developed when the shifter is manually placed in 2nd forces the clutch packs together quicker to allow less slippage, and therefor a firmer shift with les overall wear to the clutch pack itself. If it's making a "sandpaper rubbing against a cement block" sounds when it does this something is wrong.

AS for that whine when shifting between geras while stationary..my car has that as well. At least it did. New tranny going in this week.

TripleblackETC
06-06-06, 07:32 PM
I know what he is talking about. If I leave my trans in 1st or 2nd and let it shift (not moving it manually, but leaving it in say, 2 and letting it upshift to second) it is definately a firmer, raspier shift. You can feel it. HOWEVER, when you floor it in 1st or second on the selector, it is a very violent shift. Sounds like sandpaper rubbing against a cement block or something.

Since your car is the same year of mine, same transmission, does it also (when up to operating temp) whine (like a wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee) when you put it into drive from R or neutral gear? Only when its warm though...Thats what mine does and its very noticeable. Guys at school used to tell me they could hear it when I pull out. Now because of this if i have to run back in the house when i forget something, I leave it in gear and put the parking brake on instead of using park to disengage again. Not sure if that is better or worse, but its only for a minute.

Nope...mine doesn't do the whine you're talking about or the sandpaper rubbing against a cement block noise. And as an update on the noise I DID have....I've tried my hardest to see if I could get the car to make the sound again while manually shifting and haven't heard a thing.

I'm not sure what to make of it.

auroradude
06-07-06, 03:40 PM
Eh Danbuc. Good luck with the new trans. You were getting it rebuilt and not brand new right? Is that thing back up here in WC for that or down south? About that noise, It only does it when its in 2nd so I dont use that anymore. My fluid went from being changed at 80k perfectly clear and pink to now being semi brown at 95k. I put some lubegard in it for good luck ;)

Let us know if the car runs any better (its been reported by some that the engine temp stays flat at 200, running much cooler while before wobbling around 225-230 etc) Also tell us if the car seems any faster.

danbuc
06-07-06, 09:41 PM
Well, the car is at AAMCO just down the street. The guy at the shop my stepfather bring his car's to recommended this one, so I brought it over this afternoon. I should be hearing back form them tomorrow, as to whether or not the stupid aftermarket warranty I have will cover it. They said they wouldn't covered a reman, but that they would cover a rebuild, so I'll just have to play it by ear.

I was a bit concerned at first about having the current trany fixed, but they said they have worked with many 4T80E's and that they would be tearing it down and replacing everything form clutch packs to seals, to one way bearings and what not. Hopefully it works fine when (and if) I get it back. As soon as I do, I'm gonna have to do some WOT's on the highway. The engine hasn't seen more than 3k rpm in two months, and it shakes now on cold startup sometimes depending on outside temperature. Hopefully everything works out.

auroradude
06-07-06, 11:56 PM
I'd suggest you run the trans in for 500 miles or so first before doing that.

acklac7
06-08-06, 12:54 AM
EEEKK!! Not AAMMCO!..lol

Most AAMCO shops are individually owned franchises. And AAMCO doesn't mandate that there tech's be ATRA certified (automatic transmission rebuilders association) so you could basically have any old joe working on your tranny ("hmmm...I think this part goes here:hmm: )

A buddy of mine had his Trans. rebuilt at AAMCO (95' F350). It blew a critical seal twice...Spewing trans fluid all over the place. AAMCO "fixed" it twice under warranty (replaced the seal). Then about 8 months later it blew the seal again!...This time it was out of warranty and AAMCO said it would be another $2500 to rebuild it! He eventually took it to a local ATRA certified shop and had the whole trans rebuilt (again) b/c there was obviously some pressure issue that kept causing the seals to blow.

In regards to the whole "we work on alot of 4t80E's"...What else are they going to say??? "Um yeah...We haven't seen a whole lot of those in here...but well fix her right...;)"

Danbuc dude..I read about the stealership flushing your trans...And man..I wouldn't want someone else to screw up your tranny..AGAIN!!! lol....I would seriously consider finding a ATRA certified shop to work on your Trans...Unless you really,really trust your references ;)

danbuc
06-08-06, 02:16 AM
Well, I don't really have a choice in the matter. If I don't want to have to sell the car, I gotta get the damn thing rebuilt. There gonna call me tomorrow and see what they say. I'll call this place tomorrow "anonymously" and ask if there guys are ATRA certified. If not, I guess I'll be picking the car up and looking elsewhere. Seeing as how they do alot of work for the local police, I would tend to think so, but that doesn't mean a damn thing. At this point, I just want it driveable. I haven't been able to really drive it at all for the last month.

Auroradude...I'm well aware of the brake in period for the clutch packs. After that is when I plan on blowing all the crap out of this motor. I don't wanna tack any chances ruining the new s**t they put in it.

edit: I just looked up the website for the ATRA and search for certified shops in the area. Needless to say, the AAMCO was not one of them. Interestingly enough, the shop that rebuilt the C4 tranny in the '66 Mustang I used to have is. Perhaps I'll bring it over there instead. They did a good job on the Mustang.