: Loud clunk after wheel hop kit installed

MN CTS-VETT
06-03-06, 09:56 PM
After having the dealer installed the wheel hop kit, I now have a loud popping clunk when letting the clutch out under load in all gears. This is not the 'parade clunk' that has been described. This clunk actually raises the eyebrows and is audible over a loud radio. Is this a downside of the wheel hop kit, or did the dealer do something when they were inspecting the root cause of my rear diff whine?

ctsvett
06-03-06, 11:46 PM
sounds like they didnt seat the rear spring properly... This is noted in the TSB and they need to be careful, but some miss it. Drive it carefully back to the dealer. The rear spring is probably not seated correctly. My guess. YOu can search to find some similar previous responses.

Reed

MN CTS-VETT
06-04-06, 03:55 PM
Thanks Reed - I will have the spring seating checked out at the dealer. After further review, the noise is more of a short compressed thump, and I just hope this is not a negative of the wheel hop kit. Wheel hop is much improved, after a minimal spar with an over-exhuberant Mustang GT (old 5.0).

MN CTS-VETT
06-09-06, 06:46 PM
Final update on the 'thump' after the wheel hop kit install. After a complete inspection of the wheel hop kit and associated components, the mechanic called the GM tech-line to discuss with engineers before proceeding. He was directed to de-installed the kit to determine if the noise was removed (true) - and reinstalled - and it was back. So, the thump is caused by the initial compression. I would rather have the wheel hop gone and deal with the thump. After a search on this site, I have not seen this as an outcome of this TSB. The wheel hop is much minimized so I will deal with the thump - a satisfactory tradeoff for me!:burn:

Robby2006
06-09-06, 07:34 PM
What the status with the dealer and the damage to your car. Did you come to an agreement yet?

ewill3rd
06-09-06, 08:02 PM
I'd have them take a look at the bushing in the nose of the differential.
Sometimes they go bad and the rear diff jumps when you load it up.
If you put it in first and run it up to about 10 mph, then push the gas and let it up, if it clunks once loading and once unloading it could be the bushing.
It is servicable but it requires special tools and the diff has to come out.
We have seen a few bad ones.