: Wasn't Expecting This

CoupeDevilleRob
06-03-06, 07:43 PM
Today I went to a classic police car show at the New York City Police Museum. The weather sucked but it was a good show. I was expecting to see a lot of Impalas and Furys, which I did. I wasn't expecting to see an absolutely mint 1967 Fleetwood. Turns out it was the Governor of Delaware's car back in the day. It's fully equipped with lights, sirens, radios and a cool shotgun rack mounted on the bottom of the trunk lid. The car is now privately owned (the owner was really cool about showing off all the special features) but the State of Delaware fully supports the guy, they even hooked him up with all kinds of special Govenor's license plates. A couple times a year he lends the car to the Delaware State Police to take the current governor to special events. The car is unrestored, and only has 53,000 miles on it. It was easily my favorite car at the show even though it really isn't a police car. My favorite cop cars were the 1966 Chevy Biscayne in the old NYPD green, black and white color sceme and the 1976 Pontiac Catalina in the blue and white NYPD colors.

Bro-Ham
06-03-06, 10:41 PM
Hi Rob,

THAT is COOL! Any pics of the shotguns in the trunk? Thanks for sharing the pics!

Dave

scurling
06-04-06, 01:53 AM
What a gem. I love the dual battery setup.

Johnny Bravo
06-04-06, 03:41 AM
While on the subject of police, that building with the arched windows in the backround is the old NYPD 1st Precinct. Narcotics bureau headquarters of "The French Connection" fame.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-04-06, 12:06 PM
Hah that IS neat! What's more intimidating than a black '67 Cadillac with a built in shotgun rack?? Not much!

CoupeDevilleRob
06-04-06, 01:17 PM
Like an idiot I forgot to take a picture of the shotgun rack, there weren't any guns in it though, friggin city gun laws. It was like a box, two guns could fit in it, the butt of one would stick out on the left the other on the right so you could draw them quick. What was really cool about it was it was upholstered with the OEM trunk carpeting so it looked almost factory. The glove compartment also used to be set up to store handguns but it now holds an XM reciever and a police scanner. You can't tell from the picture but it also had an ambulance radiator, the thing was like 4 or 5 rows.

PS: I always knew that was the old 1st Precinct but didn't know it was in the French Connection. Now I have to go and watch it again. The old 1st Precinct now houses the police museum.

Johnny Bravo
06-04-06, 06:06 PM
PS: I always knew that was the old 1st Precinct but didn't know it was in the French Connection. Now I have to go and watch it again. The old 1st Precinct now houses the police museum.
It's not really in the movie, you have to read the book which has all the details. On my part, I didn't know it was a museum, but that's how it is in New York City, tons of history everywhere.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-04-06, 07:18 PM

I was watching it on Bravo last night, pretty good chase with a Mark III at the very end.

eracer
06-04-06, 08:34 PM
Hey, Coupedevillerob

I was there yesterday around noon. I was the guy telling his 3yr old daughter 'KEEP YOUR UMBRELLA AWAY FROM THAT CAR!!!'

I talked to the gent who owns the Fleetwood. I have a bunch of pics of the other cars too.

CoupeDevilleRob
06-05-06, 08:31 PM
Pretty good chase with the Mark III? It lasts like ten seconds. Now the LeMans vs the el train, that was a chase. Better than Bullitt in my opinion.

eracer- I must have just missed you, I didn't get there til around 1:30. I took tons of cop cars pictures too, if people want I'll post some.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-05-06, 08:36 PM
Pretty good chase with the Mark III? It lasts like ten seconds. Now the LeMans vs the el train, that was a chase. Better than Bullitt in my opinion.

The only reason I brought it up was because of the Mark III! :D

Johnny Bravo
06-06-06, 12:20 AM
The only reason I brought it up was because of the Mark III! :D
In real life the heroin was smuggled in a 1960 Buick Invicta.
:yup:

N0DIH
06-06-06, 12:38 PM
SPO DIE
"Rack, Shotgun, Under Deck Lid Mounted"

Hah that IS neat! What's more intimidating than a black '67 Cadillac with a built in shotgun rack?? Not much!