: How good is K&N filters... really?

uRabbit
06-03-06, 06:53 PM
I plan on purchasing every K&N air filter for my car that I possibly can. How good are they though, really?

I have a 2000 Cadillac Catera that's at a quarter tank with only 188 miles on the tank. That's pretty bad gas mileage if you ask me. It's rated at 18mpg and something like 288 miles to the tank.

So how drastically would the best K&N air filters improve my gas mileage and performance?

THANKS GUYS!

CadillacSTS42005
06-03-06, 07:01 PM
1st off your Catera does not have a N* so this is in the wrong forum area all together so mods please move it, secondly the K&N does NOTHING on the N* this has been covered more times than there are days in a decade

Ranger
06-03-06, 07:58 PM
Do a search. This battle has been fought many many times before.

chevelle
06-04-06, 12:20 AM
I plan on purchasing every K&N air filter for my car that I possibly can. How good are they though, really?

I have a 2000 Cadillac Catera that's at a quarter tank with only 188 miles on the tank. That's pretty bad gas mileage if you ask me. It's rated at 18mpg and something like 288 miles to the tank.

So how drastically would the best K&N air filters improve my gas mileage and performance?

THANKS GUYS!

Perfect case of the customer confusing range with fuel economy.

If you REALLY want to know what your fuel economy is write down the odometer reading, fill the tank, drive, refill the tank and record the odo and figure out what the actual fuel economy is. Going by how many miles it covers per 3/4 of a tank is useless and misleading. How big is your tank??? If you don't know then you have no idea what your actual fuel economy is....which is the important thing.

Putting a K&N filter in will have no impact on your fuel economy. Forget it unless you just want to spend a lot of money for an air filter.

zonie77
06-04-06, 01:28 AM
K&N makes little difference in mpg, esp in stock condition. K&N needs to be oiled properly or it may cause problems.

What is your gas mileage??? miles/gallons.

There are better things to do before K&N on a stock car.

uRabbit
06-04-06, 03:45 PM
Crap. Sorry. Didn't mean to post this in this forum. I had a few open at the same time. Sorry guys.

Mkay. So, K&N's work only for 4-bangers or what?

Is there anything I can use to increase my fuel economy? My friend's mom was selling pills for the gas tank to increase economy, but that sounds like bull to me...

My tank is 16 gallons. And it's already flashed at me, meaning I have about a gallon left. So 18 miles if it's working to specifications.

zonie77
06-04-06, 04:55 PM
For stock vehicles, 4 6 or 8 cyl, stock air filters are fine. K&N is subject to uneven oiling, oil migrating to the MAF and dirt passing into the engine. A stock engine doesn't need the extra airflow.

I've seen dyno articles where a K&N is worth about 5-10 hp on a modified engine, 0-1 on a stock engine.

SO...what's the mpg, what kind of driving?

Did you fill up and check mileage as Chevelle indicated?

Driver is biggest factor. Engine tune, tires, tire pressure, all have an effect.

uRabbit
06-04-06, 05:16 PM
I haven't filled-up yet, no, 'cause I'm not exactly the most fortunate person, to where I can put gas in any time I desire...

I drive in "regular mode" (as opposed to winter or sport modes) all the time and don't floor it. Two of my tires were low before I filled it last, but I got them filled-up.

Ranger
06-05-06, 01:34 AM
Crap. Sorry. Didn't mean to post this in this forum. I had a few open at the same time. Sorry guys.

Mkay. So, K&N's work only for 4-bangers or what?

Is there anything I can use to increase my fuel economy? My friend's mom was selling pills for the gas tank to increase economy, but that sounds like bull to me...

My tank is 16 gallons. And it's already flashed at me, meaning I have about a gallon left. So 18 miles if it's working to specifications.
That's because it is bull. Just another scam. Don't fall for it.