: Need Advice

chrisminshall
06-03-06, 10:31 AM
I have a 2004 CTS-V that I purchased used from a Cadillac dealer in my local area. It is a Cadillac Certified Pre-Owned vehicle with the nice extended warranty. I was not informed of any previous damage or accidents related to the vehicle when I purchased it and it had a clear CarFax (for whatever that's worth). I just recently took my vehicle in to see about trading it in on another vehicle and was told by the dealership that the front driver-side panel looks like it had been painted and they asked me if the vehicle had been in an accident which of course it hasn't since I owned it. I decided to ask the service advisor in the service department of the Cadillac dealer (not the one I purchased from) that does my regular service whether they thought it had been painted and they also thought it had been painted as well. My question is - does anyone know whether I have legal recourse against the dealership that sold me the vehicle for selling me a possibly previously damaged/wrecked vehicle (at the very least previously painted which was undisclosed at sale and would have a major impact on re-sale value)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I live in the state of Missouri if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Chris

chrisminshall
06-07-06, 09:01 PM
So, no opinions from anyone on my situation?

I have a 2004 CTS-V that I purchased used from a Cadillac dealer in my local area. It is a Cadillac Certified Pre-Owned vehicle with the nice extended warranty. I was not informed of any previous damage or accidents related to the vehicle when I purchased it and it had a clear CarFax (for whatever that's worth). I just recently took my vehicle in to see about trading it in on another vehicle and was told by the dealership that the front driver-side panel looks like it had been painted and they asked me if the vehicle had been in an accident which of course it hasn't since I owned it. I decided to ask the service advisor in the service department of the Cadillac dealer (not the one I purchased from) that does my regular service whether they thought it had been painted and they also thought it had been painted as well. My question is - does anyone know whether I have legal recourse against the dealership that sold me the vehicle for selling me a possibly previously damaged/wrecked vehicle (at the very least previously painted which was undisclosed at sale and would have a major impact on re-sale value)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I live in the state of Missouri if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Chris

heavymetals
06-07-06, 09:12 PM
Painting does not have to show up on disclosure.

Doesn't mean there was damage enough (or any) to report.

lasstss
06-07-06, 09:27 PM
Depends on the damage. It could have been road damage in which case the fender was spot repaired. Any frame damage even if repaired should be visible. As far as Carfax, its a lot of BS. Only reported accidents or insurance claims show up. If you smack the car up and pay for it yourself or use a small shop its never on there. If they sold it to you under the premise that it was undamaged then I would go visit them. Check you receipt disclaimers.

mostoyzwinz
06-07-06, 09:49 PM
Ditto the above. Unless you ask for it in writing, no disclosure necessary. Something about a used car salesman....:confused:

formula223
06-07-06, 10:00 PM
Comes down to something knows as scienter. Did the dealership know about the damage, and fail to disclose the information to try to get you to buy the car. If they knew of the damage, like they repaired the vehicle before they sold it to you, you might have a case depending on which state you are in. If you when in Texas you would, but I don't know where you purchased you car. Good Luck.