: 97 Eldo running weak!

mikeyeldo
01-30-04, 03:39 AM
Hi i'm new to the forums and i must say that i love this place.Unfortunatly i'm here because i have a problem with my 97 Eldorado w/76,000 on it.

The Aceleration is poor,Engine is surging and hesitating,loss of power.When it's under 32 degrees i have to use the gas to keep it from not stalling or backfireing. Once i can get it to idle it will not stall and backfire,and my check engine light is on.It never stalls while driving or sitting at a light only on cold starts.

The codes i pulled were
p0603,History,Control Module long term memory reset
p1599,History, Engine stall or near stall detected
p0101,History,MAF Sensor
p2477,Current,Reverse lamps grounded wrong(can't figure out this one)
p0108,History MAP Circuit intermittent
p0300,History,sometimes Current,Random/Multiple Cylindar Misfire detected
u1255,History,Communication Malfunction
B1983,History, Device power circuit low

I called my caddy dealer figuring it was a fuel problem,they had told me to drop a bottle of chevron fuel injecter cleaner in it,did'nt make a difference.I usually use 94 octane at all times and never go under 91.They also told me start with the plugs and wires,but before i go out and start buying parts what do you guys think?Anyone else encountered these problems?

P.S.It's been very cold here for the past month in New England

Anthony Cipriano
01-30-04, 01:58 PM
Hi i'm new to the forums and i must say that i love this place.Unfortunatly i'm here because i have a problem with my 97 Eldorado w/76,000 on it.

The Aceleration is poor,Engine is surging and hesitating,loss of power.When it's under 32 degrees i have to use the gas to keep it from not stalling or backfireing. Once i can get it to idle it will not stall and backfire,and my check engine light is on.It never stalls while driving or sitting at a light only on cold starts.

The codes i pulled were
p0603,History,Control Module long term memory reset
p1599,History, Engine stall or near stall detected
p0101,History,MAF Sensor
p2477,Current,Reverse lamps grounded wrong(can't figure out this one)
p0108,History MAP Circuit intermittent
p0300,History,sometimes Current,Random/Multiple Cylindar Misfire detected
u1255,History,Communication Malfunction
B1983,History, Device power circuit low

I called my caddy dealer figuring it was a fuel problem,they had told me to drop a bottle of chevron fuel injecter cleaner in it,did'nt make a difference.I usually use 94 octane at all times and never go under 91.They also told me start with the plugs and wires,but before i go out and start buying parts what do you guys think?Anyone else encountered these problems?

P.S.It's been very cold here for the past month in New England

Just for starters, check the fuel pressure regulator. Pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator while the engine is idling and see if any fuel comes out the vacuum nipple on the FPR - none should. If the FPR is leaking internally past the diaphragm inside it could cause the symptoms you describe due to the fuel making its way to the intake via the vacuum line. If there have been backfires like you mention those could have caused the other codes to set. Check the FPR and post back.

mikeyeldo
01-30-04, 10:30 PM
Sounds like a great place to start.Please tell me where the rFPR is and i'll get on it ASAP.Thanks for your imput:)

growe3
01-31-04, 01:03 PM
After checking the Fuel Pump Regulator as suggested, I would replace the spark plugs with those reccommended as original equipment.

If this cure the miss firing, I would not replace the spark plug wires. They seem to be very durable unless actual phisical damage was done to them.

-George

Anthony Cipriano
01-31-04, 10:17 PM
Sounds like a great place to start.Please tell me where the rFPR is and i'll get on it ASAP.Thanks for your imput:)
Take the top cover off the engine so that the fuel rail is visible find the little canister shaped item on the fuel rail that has the fuel return line leaving it and a vacuum line attached to it. That is the fuel pressure regulator.

mikeyeldo
02-07-04, 07:10 PM
Hey guys,the verdict on my 97 Eldo is that the plugs and wires needed to be changed.I hope this info helps someone.My conclusion is when in doubt change those plugs and wires.Car runs 100%:cool: