: Who Makes The Best Trucks IYO?

Ralph
01-30-04, 01:34 AM
I know Ford sells more and they are considered to be more durable by some. GM, I think they have the nicest riding truck, almost car-like. Dodge, I like the new Hemi Ram, test drove one, lotsa power but needed a ladder to get in it. :rolleyes: Well, Dodge was known for some quality issues in the past, but I think that may have changed now. Nissan is making a new full-size because they want a piece of the NA market. I also heard on "Motoring 2004" that full-size trucks make-up 12% of the total vehicle sales. If this is true, I can't blame Toyota or Nissan for getting involved.

If you had to buy one tomorrow, which would you choose, and why?

Mad'lac
01-30-04, 02:01 AM
Hell thats easy..... a brand new F350 Ex-cab long-bed Power Stroke Diesel 4X4. Just bought some land and you need a truck that can really work and still get the mpg that a 1/2 ton truck gets. I would put on beefy bumpers and a 6 inch lift.http://www.autolandoutlets.com/images/1999%20F350%206speed%20LB%20red.jpg

Ralph
01-30-04, 02:06 AM
Hell thats easy..... a brand new F350 Ex-cab long-bed Power Stroke Diesel 4X4. Just bought some land and you need a truck that can really work and still get the mpg that a 1/2 ton truck gets.

If it's the one that says "Super Duty" near the front doors, that's the one I got a close look at today because I couldn't see around the da** thing. ;)

Ever notice when you are on the highway and something is being pulled, something big? Well I've noticed that it's usually a big-assed Ford doing it! :worship:

Ralph
01-30-04, 02:22 AM
I really like the Hemi, except the dash that rattled, but it was cold after all. :rolleyes: The Dodge 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel has 305 hp @2900 rpm and 555 lb ft of torque @ a lowly 1400 rpm! It's obviously about the torque with diesels for pulling power, but how do the others compare with this beast I wonder?

Mad'lac
01-30-04, 02:27 AM
I really like the Hemi, except the dash that rattled, but it was cold after all. :rolleyes: The Dodge 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel has 305 hp @2900 rpm and 555 lb ft of torque @ a lowly 1400 rpm! It's obviously about the torque with diesels for pulling power, but how do the others compare with this beast I wonder?
http://www.fordvehicles.com/powerstroke/flash/home.html
Ford got Dodge beat by 5lb ft of torque running at 560 @2000 rpm.

509Rider
01-30-04, 02:32 AM
Sorry but after working at a ford dealer and a chevy dealer I would take a chevy hands down over a ford, I would also take a dodge over a ford, not much for import trucks, and dont know much about them.

Ralph
01-30-04, 03:01 AM
Sorry but after working at a ford dealer and a chevy dealer I would take a chevy hands down over a ford, I would also take a dodge over a ford, not much for import trucks, and dont know much about them.

Because.................

Thanks a lot Mad Lac, that damn red beast is so big, my posts are too wide now!! It's bad enough I almost had an accident today because of that bohemith!~ :histeric: :D

airbalancer
01-30-04, 08:38 AM
So far 2 chevy , GMC. Got a GMC this time because I do not like the new Chevy front end Also my cab would only fit a GM truck.. This is GM country as it is only 1/2 hour from Oshawa ,Home of GM Canada. Also since I work in GM sometimes I think it better to drive in with a GM instead of another brand.
A extended cab on a dodger will not fit a 6 foot ladder. A ford did not have zero % for five years. Also I had 2000 GM point so that helped a lot. GM points is from VISA. 1 point 1 dollar off.Like the interior of the GM the best

Blackout
01-30-04, 09:35 AM
Ford all the way!

AKPsiMC03
01-30-04, 09:36 AM
I'll the the Ford anyday over the Chevy

Elvis
01-30-04, 10:05 AM
Something I noticed is that GMC has the most "liveable" trucks. More creature comforts. And this year, I see that Ford really put a lot of thought and work into the interior of the new F-150.

I work with a guy who had a big Dodge Ram. He loved it until the transmission started slipping really badly at 23,000 miles. The dealer wouldn't fix it until it failed completely. Finally, the Dodge was traded on a Toyota. The Dodge had only 32,000 miles.

Night Wolf
01-30-04, 10:44 AM
IMO the new Rams....damn I LOVE the way they look, and the Hemi is sweet too.....

I remember when Motor rend had a review of the 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel Dullie..... they were saying that watching the 2nd gear burnout as all 4 rear tires spun was sweet....

I want to get a truck some day.....

elwesso
01-30-04, 04:09 PM
Ive driven the suburban and the new hemi and here's my take...

The hemi isnt a big deal, IMO... I drove one on a ram 1500, with a GOLDEN sounding dual exhaust, and I cant say I was impressed..... No more than our 03 suburban anyway.... No more power, or minimal at best.....

I think chevy makes the best trucks..... We've owned them for a long time (10 years at least) and we've only had 1 problem on 4 different models (3 tahoes and a suburban).....

Never been a ford fan..... I dont really think they make as good quality stuff as GM.... Especailly long term....

c5 rv
01-30-04, 07:48 PM
This is a hotly contested topic. I grew up in a GM family, bought a lot of different brands over the years (probably as some form of protest) and now am back in the GM fold. In the past 10 years I've owned a '93 Suburban, '97 Ford Expedition, '99 Sierra, and an '02 Avalanche. The last three models were each in their first year of production and had no major problems with any of them. The biggest problems I know of with recent Chevy / GMC trucks is piston slap in 99 - 02 4.8, 5.3, & 6.0 gas engines.

Some anecdotal reports from folks I know:

- A guy from work had a Dodge pickup that had over 100K miles and was running fine. However, the interior was falling apart and he wanted to move into to 3/4 ton truck as he starts a contracting business. He bought an '04 Ford superduty with the 6.0 L diesel and the engine repeatedly failed to start. In the first three weeks of ownership, the truck was in the shop for 17 days. In the past month since he got it back, the truck has been running fine.

- Another guy from work was interested in getting a diesel crewcab to pull his 30' travel trailer and to use around his farm. He stopped by a Chevy dealer months before the 24 hour test drive campaign and the dealer told him to take a Duramax crewcab home overnight. After his wife drove it he called the dealer to say he wouldn't be bringing the truck back and he'd stop by the next afternoon to sign the purchase paperwork.

- My wife's family are all farmers. My father-in-law has an old gas Ford 250 that he uses every day with very few problems. My brother-in-law has a Dodge Cummins diesel and has been happy with it. Another brother-in-law has a Chevy Duramax who uses on his farm and foundry with no problems.

Ralph
01-30-04, 07:57 PM
IMO the new Rams....damn I LOVE the way they look, and the Hemi is sweet too.....

I remember when Motor rend had a review of the 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel Dullie..... they were saying that watching the 2nd gear burnout as all 4 rear tires spun was sweet....

I want to get a truck some day.....

I totally agree! It's about the styling, and that engine. Yes I believe that Dodge has some good quality NOW. Elvis, did your friend have an older than 2002 Ram because the newer ones are the only Ram I would consider. I thought the Hemi had great power. In fall 2002 I tested a nice new black 1500 with the 5.9 360, 20 inch chrome mags, I was very impressed. It was a little choppy but it is a truck after all. Great handeling, almost car like. I guess 2 years ago Dodge was number 1 because of all the improvements and restyle, but now that Chev and Ford have redone theirs, Dodge has to play some catch-up. :cookoo:

ShadowLvr400
01-30-04, 07:59 PM
Dodge fan, no questions. The Hemi, I don't know much about yet. It's not the love of my truck life. Give me this beast.

And the Cummins Deisel is a durable beast. GM and Ford only caught up with the Cummins torque by adding cylinders and displacement. :tongue2: Cheaters. Hehe Ford and GM both running 8 cylinder deisels at over 6.0L, the Dodge is 5.9 and I6. Nanny Nanny Boo Boo :P On a serious note, I also have more faith in the Cummins than any GM or Ford truck motor. I drowned one and it still runs, and have seen them with some very high mileage. Also, I prefer Dodge's styling, something Ford and GM have had to respond to, 2 styles in a row. The current Ram is simply a truck, and is shameless about being one. Put a big brush bar up front here, some fun accessories, etc. I love the 3500 in Silver. Don't bother me with Ford or GM trucks. Bah

On a side note, Nissan... I hate you for doing it properly. :P They went, made a solid truck, with some cool little tricks as well, making for a very nice, liveable truck. I still want a Dualie and a full sized bed, but I actually work my trucks, not just drive it around with the off chance that I might need to carry something big.

Ralph
01-30-04, 08:01 PM
Another thing I need help on, my dad has a 1978 Chev "Bonanza" half ton he bought new. It is still VERY good condition (you know my dad!) I have NEVER seen another one. Everyone knows what a Cheyanne, Silverado, or Wrangler is but is this something special? It does have the gauge package with everything. :confused: I can't find a darn thing on this truck except info about the tv show "Bonanza." (the net)

Mad'lac
01-30-04, 08:06 PM
I only got one problem with the new Nissan. Why did they have to make it soo damn ugly?

elwesso
01-30-04, 08:09 PM
IMO import trucks are a waste... Im talking pickups, not SUVs.... They obviously have the market on that....!! For big, powerful, TRUCKS its all about america baby!!

The imports like having their twin turbo 4cylinders, and the americans like the big pushrod V8! IMO thats the only way a true truck can be.... Along with being overly big, overly loud, and consuming way too much gas!

ShadowLvr400
01-30-04, 08:27 PM
The Titan is a 5.6L DOHC V8 Wes... Pretty good amount of power actually...

elwesso
01-30-04, 08:33 PM
I realize this, I was saying overall....

I still dont like it....

Ralph
01-30-04, 08:58 PM
I see a lot of those full size Toyotas with the V8, and now with Nissan, THEY WILL hurt the Big 3! I would be worried about the Nissan, because they tried to address everything the Toyota lacked, and added a lot more.

Ralph
01-30-04, 09:02 PM
Another thing I need help on, my dad has a 1978 Chev "Bonanza" half ton he bought new. It is still VERY good condition (you know my dad!) I have NEVER seen another one. Everyone knows what a Cheyanne, Silverado, or Wrangler is but is this something special? It does have the gauge package with everything. :confused: I can't find a darn thing on this truck except info about the tv show "Bonanza." (the net)

Still waiting........................................... :yawn:

I bet no one knows about or ever seen one.

509Rider
01-30-04, 09:12 PM
The thing I hate about ford powerstrokes is they never seem to start, and when they do they seem to run like crap, I have seen a lot of rust problems around the doors and fenders and I think the interiors are cheap, this is just what I have seen, for myself I really dont have a problem with the 5.4 liter, but I still like the chev 5.3 better.

Ralph
01-31-04, 04:07 AM
OK, I talked to my cousin who knows about trucks and he said that the Chev "Bonanza" was some sort of series they offered in the late '70's for Western Canada only. Thanks anyway.

Does GMC and Chevy still offer an amazing selection of engines? I remember the 2001 brochure, and it was impressive.

Dead Sled
01-31-04, 10:34 AM
Im a big Dodge fan. I love the new Hemi and no one can touch the Cummins in pulling power

brougham
01-31-04, 10:35 AM
If I was going to buy a truck I really don't know what I'd get. I like the way the Dodge Rams have looked since the 90s better then the other ones but there seem to be more people around who are happier with Fords and I don't mind the way some of them look either. I've never liked GMs all that much and I don't think I'd get a GM or Chevy truck because to me they always look plainer then the other ones. Since I wouldn't be doing any major work with one I'd probably be buying one because of how it looks more then anything else.

Just like cars it seems like some people can have a certain kind of truck and not like it because they say it's unreliable while other people have the same one and say they've never had any problems with it.

Ralph
02-01-04, 02:58 AM
Dodge used to be the easiest to fix, and the cheapest for parts. I'm willing to bet that's still true.

With regard to trucks, Dodge gets my blood pumping. Look at all the cool stuff they are offering now like a Hemi truck, Hemi in cars soon, a turbo 4 banger that beats everything in its class, etc. No one mentioned the Ford V10, but to me it's not nearly as exciting as the SRT-10 with 500 hp!

Plus I believe the quality of Dodge is now up to the standards of the others. Just like I believe Cadillac should match Mercedes for fit and finish, etc.

Playdrv4me
02-01-04, 03:49 AM
This should be a no-question topic, Im sorry but while GM has some serious issues with SOME of its cars, GM is bar-none, hands down the king of trucks IMO. Ford has really done some great things for the 04 model year F150, and Lightning is a totally bad-ass dude (moreso even than the SRT-10 ram for the dollar if you think about it,imagine what theyll do for the 05,the Chevy SS is no comparison there), but they are still a few ticks away from GMs HUGE variety, quality, COMFORT, and power selection of trucks available. When you balance all of the pros and cons, GM is just the hands down winner for the consumer level stuff. Just looking at resale values of the Tahoe,Sierra and etc compared to Fords trucks in the same category and its almost sad. Now the F250 and 350 have a cult-like following industrially, and I will say GM is probably equal here, if not a little behind.

Let me put it this way, other than my love for most of Cadillac, and the Corvette, I would absolutely take a piss on GM if it wasnt for their spectacular truck lineup. FULL SIZE ONLY! The S10/Sonoma and Cavalier/Sunfire cars were the absolute running joke of GM for the past 10 years (thus the need to include them as a family of four), the new Colorado and its twin, and the new Cobalt and its Pontiac twin, are a really good effort, but too new to give a definitive thumbs up or down on. (But I mean come on... "That thing got a V8?" umm...no actually its umm an inline-5 cough)

The imports right now are a joke too, but give them a couple of years, they seem to have funny ways of handing us our arses before we even sniff them coming.

Ralph
02-01-04, 04:05 AM
This should be a no-question topic, Im sorry but while GM has some serious issues with SOME of its cars, GM is bar-none, hands down the king of trucks IMO. Ford has really done some great things for the 04 model year F150, and Lightning is a totally bad-ass dude (moreso even than the SRT-10 ram for the dollar if you think about it,imagine what theyll do for the 05,the Chevy SS is no comparison there), but they are still a few ticks away from GMs HUGE variety, quality, COMFORT, and power selection of trucks available. When you balance all of the pros and cons, GM is just the hands down winner for the consumer level stuff. Just looking at resale values of the Tahoe,Sierra and etc compared to Fords trucks in the same category and its almost sad. Now the F250 and 350 have a cult-like following industrially, and I will say GM is probably equal here, if not a little behind.

Let me put it this way, other than most of Cadillac, and the Corvette, I would absolutely take a piss on GM if it wasnt for their spectacular truck lineup. FULL SIZE ONLY! The S10/Sonoma and Cavalier/Sunfire cars were the absolute running joke of GM for the past 8 years, the new Colorado and its twin, and the new Cobalt and its Pontiac twin, are a really good effort, but too new to give a definitive thumbs up or down on.

The imports right now are a joke too, but give them a couple of years, they seem to have funny ways of handing us our arses before we even sniff them coming.

Good post! Let me say this, the SRT-10 doesn't need a supercharger to get that kind of power. :D The Chevy SS is a joke IMO. All image, and as a sport truck with good quality, but needs more muscle to really compete IMO. Comparing resale values in the newspaper, I would say Ford is on par with what GM offers in the full-size line.

The only problem I have with the Cavalier/Sunfire is their crappy 1 star side-impact rating, (which seems to be common on some GM cars) other than that, GM seems to be doing well with them as a bread and butter car because they are everywhere I look and I am sick of them to be honest. My friend has one, just like everyone else's friend, :rolleyes: and he loves it, no problems yet.

I hope you are right about the import full-size line because I said the same thing when they started to build large luxury cars! :yup:

Mad'lac
02-01-04, 09:02 AM
Good post! Let me say this, the SRT-10 doesn't need a supercharger to get that kind of power.
And the Ligthning doesn't need 2 extra cylinders in an aluminum block or a manual tranny to make the power it makes :lildevil:

ShadowLvr400
02-01-04, 09:25 AM
Dodge has the Viper motor lying around, they needed a sport truck. Why do something stupid like design an all new motor to power a sport truck? Shoehorn in the Viper's motor, gives you a better aftermarket overall, gobs of power, and that extra 2 inches a bunch of the guys who buy the SRT-10 want on their dicks.
As for GM truck quality. :yawn: I'd laugh if not for some other things in my life. Had a 97 Silverado, with the deisel. That POS got towed farther than it drove itself. Literally. The Ford we had years back never pulled like it was supposed to, and rusted out in so many spots. (The Ford was towing about 5000 lbs on the trip down here from NJ. The horse transport towing our horses was carrying anout 7,000. Dodge with a cummins. That Dodge outran us from every point in the power bands.)

509Rider
02-01-04, 02:27 PM
I agree the 6.5 diesal of chevy is I think one of the worst motors they ever built, followed by the 2.8.

Ralph
02-02-04, 01:40 AM
I'm with Shadow all the way!! :D Sorry Mad Lac.

Lowcos, I disagree about the little 2.8, that's a tough engine. Maybe you are referring to power? My friend who I used to hunt with has a 1985 S10 with that 2.8 and it can not be killed! We've driven through dust storms, 3ft. snow banks, and sleughs (sp?) with it! Very little maintenance required.

Ralph
02-02-04, 03:03 AM
And the Ligthning doesn't need 2 extra cylinders in an aluminum block or a manual tranny to make the power it makes :lildevil:

Ya.........................well................... ......the SRT-10 doesn't need to work or rev as hard to get that power 'cause it's got that big block grunt and torque. :devil: The SRT-10 won't have to ever replace a supercharger because it doesn't have one! :lildevil: The SRT-10 is CLUTCH baby, pure CLUTCH. :D

Mad'lac
02-02-04, 06:43 AM
Ya.........................well................... ......the SRT-10 doesn't need to work or rev as hard to get that power 'cause it's got that big block grunt and torque. :devil: The SRT-10 won't have to ever replace a supercharger because it doesn't have one! :lildevil: The SRT-10 is CLUTCH baby, pure CLUTCH. :D
Need to work or rev as hard? I take it you never been in a Lightning before. :burn: To each their own. I'll take the Powerstroke or Cummings if I could afford either.

WOTMODE
02-03-04, 01:08 AM
After 7 years at independent shops, I would say that Fords are turds, GM and Dodge are equal as far as quality/durability. The GM's drive and ride so much nicer than a Dodge does. I work at a Chev dealer now, so I drive Chevys. If I worked at Dodge, I'de drive a Dodge. I'll either collect wellfare or shoot myself before working at a Ford shop. For Old Retarded D!ckheads. I test drove a Titan and a Hemi. The Titan did have some neat little extras I wish my 99 Silverado had. The Hemi sounded cool and felt tough. Neither of them wowed me with power, the Titans interior has that jap crap feel to it, the Hemi's no better. Both rode like dump trucks. I'm going to stick with my chevys for now.

Ralph
02-03-04, 04:21 AM
Need to work or rev as hard? I take it you never been in a Lightning before. :burn: To each their own. I'll take the Powerstroke or Cummings if I could afford either.

Unfortunatley no, I haven't tested a Lightning yet, maybe in spring. How was your test drive? Impressions?

Just toyin' with ya before, basically implying that any engine when put next to the 500 cu. in. Dodge monster will seem puny in comparison. I thought larger (I know, not by much) engines didn't have to rev as hard as a smaller one to get the same power as a bigger block. ie. 4cyl. vs. 8 cyl., etc. :halo:

I was reading up on the Hemi Ram again tonite and how that 375 ft. lbs. of torque gives instant, effortless throttle off the line. Sounds sweet too! :yup:

airbalancer
02-03-04, 06:31 AM
Truck alway ride better with weight, in the back.
My 03 Z71 rides smooth with a cap on back.
I wish ownly people who needs a truck would buy them. Because the price of them is getting to high.

Ralph
02-03-04, 08:49 PM
Truck alway ride better with weight, in the back.
My 03 Z71 rides smooth with a cap on back.
I wish ownly people who needs a truck would buy them. Because the price of them is getting to high.

Those Z71's are nice trucks, I bet it rides nice. You are correct about pricing high as a new Hemi Ram costs 45,000 and up! (cdn. so like 77.00 U.S. :D ) Weight is a definite advantage in icy conditions like this, and I kinda like that Jeep Liberty now! they are a double 5 star safety rating and weigh 4,100 pounds! That's 500 more pounds than my Caddy! A good all-around vehicle? Compared to a similar sized Saturn Vue weighing in at 3,600 pounds. Plus that one won't rust if you neglect it.

Emerald
02-05-04, 04:34 PM
Going only by my personal experience, Ford all the way.
I've owned three Chevy Trucks.
1976 K-5 Loved it.
1989 S-10 Headache/sitting in yard collecting dust.
1996 Silverado 5.7 Litre Loved the look the feel and the speed, but was nothing but a lemon from day one.

I have owned two ford Rangers one a 1985 (Lemon)
1986 Ranger, Loved it
1977 Explorer Truck, best truck yet
1970 F 150 Race Truck, great truck
1988 F 150 great truck
and we recently just bought a 2001 F 150, I love it too.

Now talking cars here, I prefer Chevy over Ford. ;)

Ralph
02-09-04, 11:25 PM
Going only by my personal experience, Ford all the way.
I've owned three Chevy Trucks.
1976 K-5 Loved it.
1989 S-10 Headache/sitting in yard collecting dust.
1996 Silverado 5.7 Litre Loved the look the feel and the speed, but was nothing but a lemon from day one.

I have owned two ford Rangers one a 1985 (Lemon)
1986 Ranger, Loved it
1977 Explorer Truck, best truck yet
1970 F 150 Race Truck, great truck
1988 F 150 great truck
and we recently just bought a 2001 F 150, I love it too.

Now talking cars here, I prefer Chevy over Ford. ;)

Talking cars, yes I agree! The thing that completely got me to dislike Ford was my Grand Marquis. The screen under the PCV valve froze and cost me 1,200 dollars. That wasn't what really made me mad, what made me mad is the fact that when I picked up the car and paid, I asked them if they changed the screen filter, they said NO! So I might have had the SAME thing happen because it was clogged with frozen oil in the screen! I MADE them change it and told them the factory trained technicians should have been aware of this little item that is in hundreds of thousands of ford 5.0's out there in cold climates. I've never had a major problem with GM or Dodge where I couldn't drive a vehicle home because of no oil left in the pan. :madtalkin :crying: :madtalkin :tisk:

Oh, and the only way (thank GOD) that I found out about the screen was because they showed a dismantled 5.0 in a "Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords" magazine. That mag probably saved me a small fortune.

inmycadillac
02-10-04, 04:11 AM
GM makes good cars:elvis2: , Ford makes good trucks:cowboy: , hands down done deal.:coolgleam

Ralph
02-10-04, 08:48 PM
GM makes good cars:elvis2: , Ford makes good trucks:cowboy: , hands down done deal.:coolgleam

I'll go along with that, but I still want a Ram one day. :bouncy:

airbalancer
02-10-04, 09:38 PM
Driven over 450000 KM in GM's trucks,cost of srvice less then $2000, not including oil changes and tires
GM is the only way to go

HUGE59Fins
02-11-04, 09:24 AM
2004 Chevy Silverado SS, the grill feels cheaply made, but everything else is very nice. HO V8, 345HP, 20" rims on Goodyear Eagles. Very nice all around, either blue or black!