: Maggied V 1st thrown Belt!!!!!

bryce3
06-01-06, 09:58 PM
Ok, I'm toot'en along in town not even on it that hard and I hear something smacking around under the hood. Then the check coolant light goes off and finally that old no power steering feel kicks in. Now when I popped the hood my top left radiator hose was spitting out coolant, is this normal? Is there a fix out there for this problem or can I expect a thrown belt ever couple of thousand miles. I have the 2.8 pulley that came with the kit and stock belt also included with the kit. Is there a better belt available? should I replace the mat under the hood that got ripped up? This would happen just in time for the weekend.
-Sean

heavymetals
06-01-06, 10:53 PM
The Goodyear replacement is supposed to be a better belt then the Gates.

I ordered a pair from:Murray's Discount Auto Stores

GOODYEAR GATORBACK SERPENTINE BELT Model # 4061037

You can order them on Amazon.

My current belt is starting to walk on the pulleys.

BLAH!

Also, it is not a bad idea to carry an extra belt and a long 15 mm box wrench as an emergency kit.

DILLIGAF
06-01-06, 10:56 PM
The belt probably cut your hose,PM wild or heavy for the belt part number.The hood mat,cut the loose $hit off and live with it untill you have the extra cash to burn.All you can do is replace the belt and keep an eye on it for alignment issues.I threw 2 belts because of the joint on the belt,jointless belt=no jumping

Dennisscars
06-01-06, 11:05 PM
Don't forget to order a correct sticker (from the fine folk's at Wild's save your ass printing emporium) or put a copy of the correct one from the install manual in the trunk after Wild's wild belt experience.

wildwhl
06-02-06, 02:41 AM
Goodyear belt = better.

15M and spare in the trunk not a bad idea .

5,000+ miles with the 2.6 and not a thrown belt.

Hoodliner is torn - who cares?

email me your address: wildwhl@registeredink.com

heavymetals
06-02-06, 03:19 AM
Just got my sticker in the mail, Thanks!

If you ever need a favor, let me know...:thumbsup:

VELOSE
06-02-06, 12:26 PM
Yeah, same here. Got my stickers too. Thanks again WW. :alchi:

Sean, why didn't you call me? Do you need to see my car? I had the same problem at the beginning. My belt was making its way to jumping off the pulley. The dealer put in a washer and aligned it better. Ever since then, the belt is intact. ;)

Seattle CTS-V
06-02-06, 12:40 PM
I 3rd that 'thank you'. Got my new stickers. Gonna put one on the windows next to my others...'Magnacharger', 'Hotchkis', 'JBL', 'UUC', 'I honk for honeys', 'SRT-8'.

heavymetals
06-03-06, 03:44 PM
What did I tell ya about a long 15mm box end and an extra belt?

Like I can predict the future.

Within 4 blocks of my place I hear a funny noise, then my power steering goes away....

Within 10 minutes I was driving :highfive:

Tore a nice chunk out of the hood headliner.

Oh well, I was looking for an excuse to Dyna mat that anyway.:rolleyes:

Should have changed the belt the first time it walked on the pulleys.:thepan:

2004ctsv
06-03-06, 04:02 PM
What did I tell ya about a long 15mm box end and an extra belt?

Like I can predict the future.

Within 4 blocks of my place I hear a funny noise, then my power steering goes away....

Within 10 minutes I was driving :highfive:

Tore a nice chunk out of the hood headliner.

Oh well, I was looking for an excuse to Dyna mat that anyway.:rolleyes:

Should have changed the belt the first time it walked on the pulleys.:thepan:

Maybe I'm on borrowed time - I'll put the wrench in and head to the auto parts for the spare belt.

WW - I got the stickers - thanks:thumbsup:

T

bryce3
06-03-06, 11:04 PM
I picked up the Goodyear Gatorback Serpentine for a replacement belt. Now is there a wrong way to put the belt on? I simply followed the new diagram of how to loop the belt and used my breaker bar to move the tensioner enough to slip it on the pulley. I haven't driven the car yet but I did start it and when I rev the motor a little the tensioner flexes a whole lot? Is there something else I should of done?
-Sean

heavymetals
06-03-06, 11:21 PM
The tensioner moves quite a bit under hard acceleration.

bryce3
06-04-06, 12:14 AM
-Heavy
I was just wondering b/c I see that a few others here mention a 15mm socket and I didn't use one to get my belt back on.
-Sean