: I hate the dragstrip!

Seattle CTS-V
06-01-06, 06:21 PM
Man, I've gone to the drags 3 times this year. The first time it was really busy and I waited 2.5 hrs to run one time! I left after that run with a 13.3@109 time. The second time to the track I actually waited 4 hours! I have no idea why I waited so long but after 2 hours passed I couldn't give in and leave. Anyway, I got one run in and, again, ran 13.3@109. Well, yesterday I decided to give it one more try. I went to the track and there were very few people there! YES!!!! I was finally going to get to work on my launch and get some good times. After all, 13.3@109 is pathetic for a blown V. I lined up for my first run against an Acura RSX-S. Light went green and I nearly bogged 1st. Man I need work on that launch. I guess I'm afraid to be too hard on the rear since it's been whining like a beeeotch since the day they installed it. The Acura jumped out about 1.5 cars on me! My KARS kit minimized wheel hop and Baby-V caught traction and took off. I had a perfect 1-2 shift and heard the tires chirp pretty hard w/o hop. By this time I had already caught the RSX and was passing it like he forgot which pedal was the gas. The 2-3 shift was equally good and, again, I heard the tires chirp w/o hop. By now the RSX is waaaay back and I'm just putting on bus lengths by the second. A quick shift from 3-4 surprisingly gave me a quick chirp and I rounded out the 1/4 mile.

Given my launch I was thinking my time would be yet another 13.3@109 but to my surprise I ran a 12.9 @ 111 with a 2.19 60'. Not bad for my first run of the day. Not great, but not bad considering my previous times. Well, I went back in line to try again but the bikes were running. While waiting for them (just a couple of minutes) it started to rain!!!! Noooooooooo!!! Long story short, I didn't get to go again. 3 times to the track @ $25 a visit and I've only run 3 times! I give up.

BTW, some of that 12.9 has to be attributed to Rick's StealthV tune. The 13.3 runs were with the Magnuson tune and this last one is with his tune. We're still not even done tweaking it yet. With a better launch I'm sure I can get another couple tenths and another couple mph. My buddy is getting a new M6 in a few weeks and I don't want to be too much slower than him...

Vendetta-V-
06-01-06, 06:53 PM
Practice my friend. Don't give up on the track yet. You should be running higher MPH given your mods...I attribute that to the heat?

Seattle CTS-V
06-01-06, 08:25 PM
Practice my friend. Don't give up on the track yet. You should be running higher MPH given your mods...I attribute that to the heat?

Nah, wasn't the heat. It's only 60's here in WA. And how am I supposed to practice when I never get to run? I don't live in an area that has any unpopulated backroads either.

Vendetta-V-
06-01-06, 08:39 PM
Hmm, my Lexus runs 114-117mph with 418rwhp...but of course the car only weighs 3,285lbs.

Dennisscars
06-01-06, 09:09 PM
Wait till you try a real road course.... 4 to 5 - 20 minute sessions for two days.. at 100 to 125mph > 1g turns http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/images/smilies/driver.gif

12-13 sec's is like teenage sex, don't think you'll ever get any and then it's over before the lights are out...

road course is like married sex.. it doesn't happen often but when it does... http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/images/smilies/grd.gif

lasstss
06-01-06, 09:14 PM
Unfortunately, when the lights go green the clock is running no matter what you do. Doing what the V does off the line cuts way into your times. Despite the horsepower its hard to 'make up' for loosing it on the line. With drag radials and no hop, the blown V can be a low 12 car easily. My last car ran 12.65@109. It dynoed at 385 at the wheels and weighed 4400lbs. Your time was good given what we all have to deal with.:highfive:

Chef
06-01-06, 09:31 PM
Wait till you try a real road course.... 4 to 5 - 20 minute sessions for two days.. at 100 to 125mph > 1g turns http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/images/smilies/driver.gif

12-13 sec's is like teenage sex, don't think you'll ever get any and then it's over before the lights are out...

road course is like married sex.. it doesn't happen often but when it does... http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/images/smilies/grd.gif

I like that analogy...:highfive:

There's another guy out here that is a drag king and is close as any to the 11's. Between him and StealthV I'm sure we'll see it here. He also would have suggestions like launch at 1,500 etc....

Chef

moldowan
06-01-06, 10:36 PM
lights go green clock is running?????????????
The time clock starts when you trip the IR beam!
My buddy with a new M% could only run 13.4 13.3 and a best of 13.1 at the track last week!!! 507HO M5!!!!!!!!!!!! best time was using launch control
-moldy

CTSV05
06-01-06, 11:43 PM
Well...lets not forget altitude too.

Bad air is bad air, but I agree....with some practice you'll get quicker.

And your e.t starts when you break the second beam, not on the green.

NoSlackCadillac
06-02-06, 01:23 AM
Seattle, Bremerton is open this Friday. I don't know exactly when I can break free from work, but you should get plenty of runs. The strip opens
at 3:00pm with first run at 4:00pm. They generally run till dusk.

Of course the weather has to cooperate.

I'll give you a call.

Seattle CTS-V
06-02-06, 12:16 PM

I've done 2 track days so far this year. Hope to get 2-3 more in b/f the fall. Ya know, it is just like married sex...

My track is 2.5 miles around with a very long front straight. If I had more balls I know I could get her up to 140-145mph. I'm usually hold it at 130mph (top of 4th gear). I just need a bit more experience b/f going any faster.

Seattle CTS-V
06-02-06, 12:19 PM
Seattle, Bremerton is open this Friday. I don't know exactly when I can break free from work, but you should get plenty of runs. The strip opens
at 3:00pm with first run at 4:00pm. They generally run till dusk.

Of course the weather has to cooperate.

I'll give you a call.

Yeah, I'm worried about the 2 hr drive only to turn around b/c of rain.

Dennisscars
06-02-06, 09:39 PM
I've done 2 track days so far this year. Hope to get 2-3 more in b/f the fall. Ya know, it is just like married sex...

My track is 2.5 miles around with a very long front straight. If I had more balls I know I could get her up to 140-145mph. I'm usually hold it at 130mph (top of 4th gear). I just need a bit more experience b/f going any faster.

The more I go, the less I worry about going fast. A good driver in a Miata will clean your clock when it comes to lap time. A clean line will yield better times than HP. I pulled behind a Miata and I was yawning :yawn: down the straight at 80 I had too much weight in the turns, but followed him to get a better line. It helped my times more than worrying about the straights. However it's cool to go fast too :bouncy: but anybody can hold the whine pedal down and hold it down, it takes man marbles to know when to let off..

keep going...this car rocks when driven properly

Seattle CTS-V
06-03-06, 02:58 AM
My track is kind of a scary track to drive on. The spill zones are not very large and will definitely mess up your car at the very least. I like to push her hard but not too hard. My bud just lost control of his 350Z trying to keep up with me through the twisties and hit a sand bunker. $7k in damage. I'm so jealous of your tracks down there!

CTSV05
06-03-06, 04:54 PM
Ha...we don't even have a road course I can run in Ohio....Mid-Ohio only does kabillion dollar class days, no open test days....count your blessings.

Dennisscars
06-03-06, 05:16 PM
this looks like a cool track, are you not close by? I've been known to drive up to 9 hrs for the addiction. Looks like NASA runs there.

http://www.midohio.com/track.aspx
http://www.racenasa.com/

NoSlackCadillac
06-03-06, 09:02 PM
Talked to some other guys that ran that night. They said everyone was running considerably slower than usual. So don't get too frustrated. If
you really want to see your times keep falling and have a good time at the strip, you have to make it out to Bremerton. Generally get lots of runs.

They ran last night, but I didn't get away from work till nine.

Next time is June 16th. I will be out of a house by then, but we aren't leaving the area for a few more days after that.

Seattle CTS-V
06-04-06, 12:42 PM
Talked to some other guys that ran that night. They said everyone was running considerably slower than usual. So don't get too frustrated. If
you really want to see your times keep falling and have a good time at the strip, you have to make it out to Bremerton. Generally get lots of runs.

They ran last night, but I didn't get away from work till nine.

Next time is June 16th. I will be out of a house by then, but we aren't leaving the area for a few more days after that.

I think I can make the June 16th date. I don't work that Friday so I can be there right when she opens! Give you a nice last-V-memory before leaving the state.