: CCW Wheels rubbing on caliper???

tweeter81
06-01-06, 05:02 PM
Hey all,

I have had the CCW SP600's (10" rears) on for about 3 months now and have always made sure to check the rear calipers for rubbing marks because the wheel spokes only clear the calipers by about 3/16" and I was worried something might happen. Well, after all this time I looked at both of the rear calipers the other day and saw some rub marks on the outside of one of the calipers. Now, I don't understand why this would happen after all this time. I have been babying the car due to a replaced diff for 500 miles or so, and don't remember taking any corners too crazy-like, so I am worried. Also, if they are rubbing would spacers take care of the problems. I want to eventually get all four calipers painted red anyway but I definitely don't want to grind something off back there. Any thoughts?

C.J.

SoCadillac
06-01-06, 05:07 PM
Have any pics? Are you losing a wheel bearing?

ssmith100
06-01-06, 05:38 PM
When the dealership removed your wheels to replace the rear end they dropped the wheel on the caliper when they removed it and scratched it. Trust me. :mad: All four of my calipers have scuffs on them from this. There is no way the wheel will flex and hit the caliper. I have one of the first prototype sets of CCW wheels made and my rears are maybe an 1/8" away from the caliper and have never rubbed. You will wish you had had them chromed though like I did. No maintenance:thumbsup: I got sick of polishing them every weekend.

Shane

1MEANV
06-01-06, 05:39 PM
yup i did that to one of my fronts. i bet if the wheel was hitting it would tear it right off

Dreamin
06-01-06, 09:56 PM
There is no way the wheel will flex and hit the caliper
:yeah: Once the lug nuts are torqued, wheels dont flex *at all*... you could have 1/100" clearance and you'd be fine.

blown black caddy
06-01-06, 10:11 PM
Whew that post scared me for a minute! I should have my SP600's in about a week to week and a half? :D

lasstss
06-01-06, 10:44 PM
:yeah: Once the lug nuts are torqued, wheels dont flex *at all*... you could have 1/100" clearance and you'd be fine.

Exactly, I knicked my front caliper. If your not careful, very easy to do. I have the SP-18's perfect fit.. Close but perfect.

RedGalant2k1
06-02-06, 12:15 PM

Everything flexs when enough stress is induced on it. Wheels are no different.

Tweeter do you have a picture of the clearance, and damage?

tweeter81
06-04-06, 01:07 PM
Thanks guys, for the info. I have such limited experience with all things high performance that I have stupid questions sometimes. Anyway, no pix because I don't have a digital camera handy but ssmith was probably absolutely right. The damn dealership can't even handle removing the f@$king wheels without f&*cking something up. Upon closer inspection, that is for sure what happened. Also, I am an engineer (civil) and have some knowledge of materials and it is true that wheels will flex slightly under the right amount of force, but I really don't think I will ever drive my V hard enough for anything remotely like that to happen. Sorry to scare anybody looking to put these wheels on their V, I really have had no probems and they are such a thing of beauty I almost get goose bumps every time I walk up to the V with them installed. Catch y'all on the flip side.

C.J.

James Baldwin
06-05-06, 10:43 AM
Hey all,

.... Well, after all this time I looked at both of the rear calipers the other day and saw some rub marks on the outside of one of the calipers. Now, I don't understand why this would happen after all this time.
C.J.

take the baseball cards out of the spokes. :)

seriously, the dealership had to replace one of mine because they scuffed it up pretty bad just putting the tire on.