: need a SUBWOOFER

mlg
06-01-06, 01:36 PM
any recs for a modestly priced sub that is an easy diy install?? also where to buy? the stock sub is way too slow/mushy. the rest of the speaks are decent.,,,,thnx

RedGalant2k1
06-01-06, 03:38 PM
I always recommend MTX, Polk, or Orion. To be honest you can even get subwoofers from some top notch companies like A/D/S for fairly inexpensive.

What would you call 'modestly' priced? $150? $300?

Do you also need or want a new amplifier or plan on using the stock one?

nikon
06-01-06, 03:43 PM
I think it's a must to upgrade the amp, at least for the sub alone, do a search for ssmith, you'll get all the answers you need ;)

First Class Motoring
06-01-06, 04:11 PM
use A.V.I SS-250 @ AVI-USA.COM

ssmith100
06-01-06, 04:16 PM
Use the "search" feature. I have covered this extensively.

Shane

MrEr1c
06-01-06, 04:18 PM
Image Dynamics, USA

ssmith100
06-01-06, 04:42 PM
Yes,

The Image Dynamics sub works fantastic. That's what I currently have running now.

Shane

mlg
06-01-06, 06:00 PM
ok, say 175$ AND use the stock amp,would rather have tighter base over the lowest hz. thnx

First Class Motoring
06-01-06, 06:06 PM
That's Why You Shouled Use A.v.i The Cone Is Made With Paper And It Does Not Need Alot Of Power.

nikon
06-01-06, 07:28 PM
That's Why You Shouled Use A.v.i The Cone Is Made With Paper And It Does Not Need Alot Of Power.

do you have this sub currently installed?? if so pics please. Also theres no free-air ratings for it.

also what impedance is the factory amp outputting to the sub??? Im guessing it's a 2 ohm, and on a 4 ohm sub such as that one you would'nt gte much power out of it without an aftermarket amp.

First Class Motoring
06-01-06, 07:37 PM
I Had It On My 05v.my 06v Is Still Under Construction.and Will Be Installing The Sls-300 On The 06.all My Cars I Have Done Free Air.

nikon
06-02-06, 02:26 PM
I Had It On My 05v.my 06v Is Still Under Construction.and Will Be Installing The Sls-300 On The 06.all My Cars I Have Done Free Air.
how did it sound?? and were you just running it off the stock amp?? or aftermarket, if aftermarket, how much power could it take in free air.

ssmith100
06-02-06, 04:17 PM
I don't think there is a subwoofer made (aftermarket) that is efficient enough to run off the factory Bose amp. I had the ID on a 2 ohm load on the factory amp and it wouldn't hardly do anything.

Shane

First Class Motoring
06-02-06, 04:18 PM
if you'r running free air subs,you shouled push 150w-300w maxx.when i had 05v i was pushing 150w to the ss-250.on the 06v i'm installing 2 sls-300 and 600w.i also installed ss-250 in my customers V with the stock amp and it was very tight sounding.

mlg
06-02-06, 04:23 PM
thanx , ordered ss250 thru dealer out of cali , will be about 160 delivered to my door. plan to run it off stock amp. thnx again for recs, ,real world info beats sales talk, mag talk, brochures every time.

nikon
06-02-06, 05:35 PM
you say sounds "good" off of stock amp, does it bump? or is it a slight gain over factory???

First Class Motoring
06-02-06, 06:54 PM
It Will Be Better To Have A Aftermarket Amp Running 100w Rms But It Sounded Better Than The Stock.IF YOU WHANT IT TO BUMP PUSH 100w :bouncy:

RedGalant2k1
06-02-06, 07:39 PM
I don't think there is a subwoofer made (aftermarket) that is efficient enough to run off the factory Bose amp. I had the ID on a 2 ohm load on the factory amp and it wouldn't hardly do anything.

Shane

No offense, but I think you have that backwards. There isn't a factory amplifier efficient or powerful enough to properly power a aftermarket subwoofer. Surprising the factory amp can even handle 2ohm loads at all. Though aftermarket will always provide better sound quality and power than factory.

First Class Motoring
06-02-06, 07:57 PM
that's why i said,will be better to push 100w rms tru an aftermarket amp but just by swapping out the stock sub to the a.v.i ss-250 will be better then the stock.these subs dont need alot of power to sound great.

ssmith100
06-02-06, 08:29 PM
RedGalant,

No offense, but the factory sub is actually a 1 ohm driver. There are actually numerous factory amplifiers that will power aftermarket subs (Example: Nissan Maxima, had a 2002 that powered two JL 8W1's in a sealed enclosure on the back deck quite efficiently) but no since in argueing. Installing a small amplifier to power the sub is very easy and very inexpensive. My original upgrade was a small JL amp on a Kicker Comp 10 (Pic below) The factory amp is not going to do a very good job on any aftermarket sub. :tisk: It will be a lot easier to do it right the first time.

Make sure to do a very good baffle for the sub like in the first pic. 5/8" MDF is cheap.

Shane

heavymetals
06-02-06, 08:52 PM
Seems like everyone ran into the same brick wall.

That is, you almost have to make the woofer hole ID bigger to get anything to clear.

Here is my install:

First Class Motoring
06-02-06, 08:55 PM
Thank You AND YOU CAN GET AN AMP WITH SUB CONTROL.

mlg
06-02-06, 09:41 PM
mdf baffle sounds like a great idea, to add a solid base for cone to push against. ill try the stock amp and if it sounds only marginally better ,i may be online for amp recs. thnx again to all.

RedGalant2k1
06-02-06, 11:59 PM
RedGalant,

No offense, but the factory sub is actually a 1 ohm driver. There are actually numerous factory amplifiers that will power aftermarket subs (Example: Nissan Maxima, had a 2002 that powered two JL 8W1's in a sealed enclosure on the back deck quite efficiently) but no since in argueing. Installing a small amplifier to power the sub is very easy and very inexpensive. My original upgrade was a small JL amp on a Kicker Comp 10 (Pic below) The factory amp is not going to do a very good job on any aftermarket sub. :tisk: It will be a lot easier to do it right the first time.

Make sure to do a very good baffle for the sub like in the first pic. 5/8" MDF is cheap.

Shane

Shane,

I'm impressed that any factory supplied amplifier would be 1ohm capable, let alone 2ohm capable. Thats impressive for any company. Though it really doesn't need to be wired to 1ohm, that would allow for incredible heat buildup unless the amp can be efficiently cooled down before clipping or overheating.

Does the CTS premium system only run one Bose amplifier?

nikon
06-05-06, 06:00 PM
ok eh, I think the only thing I dont understand now Is why you need the mdf baffle?? other than a place to screw the sub too....and smith how is that sub you got holdin up to the 500/1??? Im still contemplating selling the 500/1 for something smaller but if it holds up Ill just run with it...

ssmith100
06-05-06, 08:56 PM
The factory baffle back there is plastic and rattles. I removed all the plastic back there and put everything on foam after I Dynamatted everything. The MDF baffle seals everything better also. Most aftermarket tens have a different hole size than the factory sub also. This is a better pic of what I did to the rear deck. I also removed the center seat belt as it rattled like crazy. I filled the hole in the factory parcel shelf and covered with black suede. Looks 100% better.

Shane

nikon
06-06-06, 01:26 PM
AH, ok thankyou, yet again :)

fast66
06-06-06, 09:19 PM
Factory amp and sub sucks

try orion for the amp and jl audio for the sub. Also reaudio make really good subs aswell.
That is a good combo.

make sure your getting enough power to the sub and not too much.

alcast082
06-06-06, 11:07 PM
:thumbsup: i've been dying to put a sub in my car, I still have an orion 1200 and a hifonics 1500 from my last car as well as two idmax tens and an adire brahma 15" > i BELIEVE IT IS TIME TO STOP SAVING THE TOYS PUT ONE IN MY CAR AND GET RID OF THE REST. I can always count on you guys to help me find new ways to put rattle in my car,

oh I'll probably be back with a thread asking where the damn rattles are comming from.:thepan: o well

4drvette
07-19-06, 11:33 PM
Shane,

Did you install the RF 3sixty yet? Any feedback on it verses the JL Cleansweep?

CB

dvandentop
07-20-06, 01:52 AM
i have some focal 165w's i am hoping to install. what size are front door speakers?

nikon
07-20-06, 08:13 AM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/doorspeakers/index.html

P-Funk
07-20-06, 10:29 AM
Yes,

The Image Dynamics sub works fantastic. That's what I currently have running now.

Shane

Shane,
Are you using an ID 10 v.3 or the IDMax 10 v.3?