: Upgrade headlight harness 94-6 Fleetwoods

BCs71
06-01-06, 02:21 PM
Just thought I'd point this out to everyone since I just found out myself....

innovativewiring.com now has cable upgrades for 94-6 Fleetwoods.
Check the link: click here (http://www.innovativewiring.com/CadillacPage2/CadillacPage.htm).

I bought his headlight harness for my Caprice a couple of years ago and it is great. The Caprice/Impala has even worse headlights than the Caddy Fleetwood, believe it or not. This harness is plug and play, very easy install. Existing wiring in the car (very thin gauge, high voltage loss) is used to trigger the relay in the kit, and the thick wiring in the kit is pulling juice directly from the battery for minimum voltage loss. The benefit is maximum power to the headlights, allowing us to replace the stock bulbs with a high wattage bulb without having to worry about melting the stock wiring harness with its thin wiring.
I know one guy locally who made his own harness by purchasing relays and wiring materials for much less money, like $35, but had to do the labor. It sure was nice having a plug N play harness that took five minutes to install, though. Your call.

I have no connection to the seller, just thought I'd make you all aware of the product from a good B/D body vendor.

Also available is the fat battery cable wire for maximum power.

BCs71
06-01-06, 02:23 PM
Since I mentioned the "make your own harness" option, here is the write-up from a local guy who made his own:

I just did the high current headlight conversion on my 9c1. It's well worth it! I tested voltage at my headlights before I did it and found about 10.8 volts. I now have alternator voltage when the car is running. In other words, about 14 volts. The difference is amazing. It seems like the headlights are twice as bright.

It's as expensive as you want. There are kits available that are super easy to install or you can piecemeal it together as I did.
I found a couple relays at a surplus outlet that gets all kind of wierd electronic stuff. The headlight terminals, wire and plastic loom material, I bought at the local auto parts place.
Do a search, you'll find out how it's done. Or PM me and I'll try to write you instructions.

I think I spent about $30.00 for everything. The relays are going to be the expensive part unless you can find a deal.
I found some 30 amp continuous duty equipment relays.
These are more than enough for either the low beams or highs.

Normally, on line directions call for 4 relays. I used two since they are so large in capacity.
First of all, you need to get some replacement terminals that fit your headlight sockets. The ones I got were from a Carquest store. I would think a NAPA would have them.
1) Find a place to mount your relays. I used the front of the core support. One is for low beams and one is for high beams.
2) Disconnect your headlights.
3) Get a power source to the hot side of the relays. Since I have a 9c1, I used the power take-off stud inside the red cover. I installed (2) 30 amp fuses to protect the relays. Install 12 ga. wire to your relays.
4) Cut the ends off your existing wires from your headlights. You do have them out of the socket, right?
5) I used the low beam wire from one side and the high beam from the other side of the car for the energizing wire to the relays. This is the wire that used to go directly to the headlight socket.
6) Make up new wiring to go to the low and high beams from the corresponding relays. Put your new ends on the wires and insert them into the existing sockets. I used 14 ga wire for the individual terminals.
7) Put good grounds on your sockets. I ran new grounds and put them onto a ground screw on the core support.

All you are doing is using your existing headlight wiring to trigger relays. The power for the lights themselves is coming directly from the battery. If you do not understand how relays work, this might not be any help.

N0DIH
06-01-06, 06:35 PM
I'm running a relay to keep my low beams on when I hit the high beams (like it should! they did that so they could run thinner wires and lose some vehicle weight and reduce alt requirements). I haven't actually measured the voltage drop on the lights though. I should just to compare and see if the Cad is as bad as the B bodies...

Scrounge boneyards for like fan controller relays. FWD cars have 2-3 good relays with excellent wiring to them in weather proof connections.

HotRodSaint
06-03-06, 12:26 PM
Good link, thanks.