: questions on the v6

justgreat
06-01-06, 12:08 PM
has anyone done their own oil change on the 3.6 and how difficult was the task? is it necessary to jack-up the car or is there enough clearance with the car on the ground? also, is the oil filter the new type or is it a spin on?

what do most owners' use for a grade of gas 87, 89 or 91? do you see a difference in performance or fuel economy on the different grades?

jackg
06 v6 sts 1sv,5.1 on order

JTS/STS
06-01-06, 07:12 PM
It is an easy oil change but you do need to get the car elevated. However, since the oil drain plug is located on the FRONT driver side of the engine, you cannot change the oil by driving the front wheels onto a ramp. That is, the front wheels must be at least even with the rear wheels or preferable lower than the rear wheels. It helps to have a lift but 2 x 12 lumber placed under all 4 wheels will suffice for clearance. The oil filter is of the cannister type and is located on the top driver side of the engine. It is best to first remove the driver side cover by unscrewing the fasteners at the front of the cover then gently pulling them out. The cover then just lifts off. It really is easy. It takes 6 quarts of oil but I would put 5.5 quarts first as it seems to take forever to drain the last 0.5 qt.(and I waited one-half hour for it to drain). 6 quarts overfilled the engine and I ended up draining out approx. 0.5 qt. the next day.
The oil drain plug takes a 13mm wrench or socket.
The cannister cap takes a 24mm or 15/16in socket although the 15/16in fits slightly better. Just unscrew the cannister cap counterclockwise as you would the lid of a jar. Observe how it all comes apart and put the new filter in and screw on the lid. There seemed to be no pieces that could fall off and these new cannisters are a vast improvement over the old cannisters from the 50s etc. There is a valve that causes the oil to drain when the cannister filter is removed/lid opened. So you do not have to remove the oil from the cannister. Very clean/not messy!
Good luck.
Jim

Jesda
06-02-06, 03:22 AM
Buying familiar brands at well-maintained stations is most important. However, a low-quality 87 is more like 86, so if you're in some remote area and have to fill up with perceivably poor gasoline, go with the labeled 89.

The documentation for the 3.6 suggests 87 octane unleaded, which means the compression and timing were designed for 87. You'll gain no performance from using a higher octane fuel.

justgreat
06-02-06, 07:13 AM
It is an easy oil change but you do need to get the car elevated. However, since the oil drain plug is located on the FRONT driver side of the engine, you cannot change the oil by driving the front wheels onto a ramp. That is, the front wheels must be at least even with the rear wheels or preferable lower than the rear wheels. It helps to have a lift but 2 x 12 lumber placed under all 4 wheels will suffice for clearance. The oil filter is of the cannister type and is located on the top driver side of the engine. It is best to first remove the driver side cover by unscrewing the fasteners at the front of the cover then gently pulling them out. The cover then just lifts off. It really is easy. It takes 6 quarts of oil but I would put 5.5 quarts first as it seems to take forever to drain the last 0.5 qt.(and I waited one-half hour for it to drain). 6 quarts overfilled the engine and I ended up draining out approx. 0.5 qt. the next day.
The oil drain plug takes a 13mm wrench or socket.
The cannister cap takes a 24mm or 15/16in socket although the 15/16in fits slightly better. Just unscrew the cannister cap counterclockwise as you would the lid of a jar. Observe how it all comes apart and put the new filter in and screw on the lid. There seemed to be no pieces that could fall off and these new cannisters are a vast improvement over the old cannisters from the 50s etc. There is a valve that causes the oil to drain when the cannister filter is removed/lid opened. So you do not have to remove the oil from the cannister. Very clean/not messy!
Good luck.
Jim

the boards under the tires sounds like a great tip. i do have a 3 ton floor jack but as you pointd out, the angle of the car on the jack might not facilitate a full drain. the placement of the filter on the topside of the engine matches my recently departed 4.5...that was the easiest filter to change with minimal oil spillage, the set-up on the 3.6 sounds even better.

thanks for the instructions...any and all help isgreatly appreciated.

do you use the oli (oil life index) as your basis for changing the oil or do you use the 3k rule. i followed the oli on my 90 seville and felt comfortable with the oli interval.

justgreat
06-02-06, 07:16 AM
Buying familiar brands at well-maintained stations is most important. However, a low-quality 87 is more like 86, so if you're in some remote area and have to fill up with perceivably poor gasoline, go with the labeled 89.

The documentation for the 3.6 suggests 87 octane unleaded, which means the compression and timing were designed for 87. You'll gain no performance from using a higher octane fuel.

i agree on the brand selection: i used nothing but shell gas in my 90 seville and my motorcycle. i also agree on the 87 for the 3.6. it doesn't seem that using a higher grade will increase the performance.

thanks for your input.

jackg
06 sts v6 (waiting patiently, so far)

justgreat
06-02-06, 11:10 AM
i went to the gm powertrain website and checked out the picture of the 3.6: the oil canister is such a neat design. one interesting note that might be common knowledge on the board but surprised me: according to the stats for the 3.6 it shows mineral based oil (5w-30 gf4 rated) as the replacement oil for the factory installed mobil 1. also, for 06 the oil level sensor has been deleted.

jackg
06 sts v6 on order

JTS/STS
06-03-06, 12:40 AM
I have spoken with GM engineers and they say to use the oil life index. Still can't do it. I always change the oil the first time at approx. 1000 miles. I know, new engine technology is supposed to be so great that debris/metal fragments during break-in mileage is negligible. However, early oil change is cheap insurance. I therafter change oil at 5000mi. intervals. I only use Mobil 1 synthetic. The oil filler cap says to use Mobil 1. I believe the owner's manual says Mobil 1 or similarly rated synthetic that meets GM's code.

As far as gasoline is concerned: It is not only about octane. I prefer Shell V-power (their premium) which is a Top Tier Gasoline. Therefore I use it. Their other grades, while better than most, still do not clean as well as their premium (V-Power). See: http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=us-en&FC2=/us-en/html/iwgen/shell_for_motorists/fuels/v-power/zzz_lhn.html&FC3=/us-en/tailored/shell_for_motorists/fuels/optimax/optimax_about_ga_1602.html

TOP TIER DETERGENT GASOLINE: Thought this might be of interest.

This information applies to all GM passenger cars and trucks. (U.S. and Canada only)
Top Tier Detergent Gasoline, a new class of gasoline with enhanced detergency, will be appearing at retail stations of some fuel marketers. This gasoline meets new, voluntary deposit control standards developed by GM, BMW, Honda and Toyota.
The U.S. EPA requires all gasoline sold in the U.S. to contain a detergent additive. However, the requirement is minimal and in many cases is not sufficient to keep engines clean. A higher level of detergent is needed than what is required by the EPA. Top Tier Detergent Gasoline exceeds the detergent requirements imposed by the EPA.
The four corporations recognized the benefits to both the vehicle and the consumer. Also, joining together emphasized that low detergency is an issue of concern to several automotive companies.
All vehicles will benefit from using Top Tier Detergent Gasoline, which will help keep engines cleaner than gasoline containing the lowest additive concentration set by the EPA. Clean engines help provide optimal fuel economy and performance, and reduced emissions. Those vehicles that have experienced deposit related problems would especially benefit from the use of Top Tier Detergent Gasoline.
The Top Tier program, begun on May 3, 2004, is a voluntary program initiated by the four automotive companies. Some fuel marketers have already joined, although not all fuel marketers will off Top Tier Detergent Gasoline. Once fuel marketers make public announcements, a list of all fuel marketers meeting Top Tier standards will be made available. For now, it will be necessary to look for the “Top Tier” designation at the gas pump.

TOP TIER UPDATE BULLETIN: Note that this bulletin was written December 2004 and applies to all 2006 and newer GM vehicles also.

Info - Top Tier Detergent Gasoline (Deposits, Fuel Economy, No Start, Power Performance, Stall Concerns) #04-06-04-047C - (Dec 14, 2004)
Top Tier Detergent Gasoline (Deposits, Fuel Economy, No Start, Power, Performance, Stall Concerns)
2005 and Prior All General Motors Passenger Cars and Trucks (U.S. Only)
2005 and All Prior Saturn Vehicles
2003-2005 HUMMER H2
This bulletin is being revised to include additional gasoline brands that currently meet the Top Tier Detergent Gasoline Standards and add Saturn to the Models section. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-047B (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).
A new class of gasoline, called Top Tier Detergent Gasoline, is appearing at retail stations of some fuel marketers. This gasoline meets detergency standards developed by four automotive companies. A description of the concept and benefits of Top Tier is provided in the following question and answer section.

Gasoline Brands That Currently Meet Top Tier Detergent Gasoline Standards:
QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada

What is Top Tier Detergent Gasoline?
Top Tier Detergent Gasoline is a new class of gasoline with enhanced detergency. It meets new, voluntary deposit control standards developed by four automotive companies that exceed the detergent requirements imposed by the EPA.

Where Can Top Tier Detergent Gasoline Be Purchased?
The Top Tier program began on May 3, 2004. Some fuel marketers have already joined and have introduced Top Tier Detergent Gasoline. This is a voluntary program and not all fuel marketers will offer this product. Once fuel marketers make public announcements, they will appear on a list of brands that meet the Top Tier standards.

Who developed Top Tier Detergent Gasoline standards?
Top Tier Detergent Gasoline standards were developed by four automotive companies: BMW, General Motors, Honda and Toyota.

Why was Top Tier Detergent Gasoline developed?
Top Tier Detergent Gasoline was developed to increase the level of detergent additive in gasoline. The EPA requires that all gasoline sold in the U.S. contain a detergent additive. However, the requirement is minimal and in many cases, is not sufficient to keep engines clean. In order to meet Top Tier Detergent Gasoline standards, a higher level of detergent is needed than what is required by the EPA. Also, Top Tier was developed to give fuel marketers the opportunity to differentiate their product.

Why did the four automotive companies join together to develop Top Tier?
All four corporations recognized the benefits to both the vehicle and the consumer. Also, joining together emphasized that low detergency is an issue of concern to several automotive companies.

What are the benefits of Top Tier Detergent Gasoline?
Top Tier Detergent Gasoline will help keep engines cleaner than gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" set by the EPA. Clean engines help provide optimal fuel economy and performance and reduced emissions. Also, use of Top Tier Detergent Gasoline will help reduce deposit related concerns.

Who should use Top Tier Detergent Gasoline?
All vehicles will benefit from using Top Tier Detergent Gasoline over gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" set by the EPA. Those vehicles that have experienced deposit related concerns may especially benefit from use of Top Tier Detergent Gasoline.

Jim

justgreat
06-03-06, 06:19 AM
i thought it was unusual that the manfr would change oil type after the initial fill from the factory. it will be interesting to see what my service department uses for their oil changes.

i knew about the top tier fuels. there has been tons of stuff on caddyinfo from industry types regarding this subject. my information tells me that all three grades of shell contain the same amount of cleansing agents.

one interesting note regarding the octane grades: in order to meet the knock protection requirments for the premium grade fuels, there are additonal addtives in the fuel that can lead to greater deposits being formed in the combustion chambers, more so than from 87 or 89. lots of owners reported reduced oil consumption in their northstars when they used the lower grade fuels. the lower grades actually cleaned the c/c's better than the premium grade.

as long as the engine doesn't knock and the performance level is acceptable, modern engines can be run just fine on 87/89 and there will be less risk of deposits forming. in so many areas of the country, running the engine hard and for sustained periods just isn't posible anymore and that's what it takes to keep the c/c's clean...either that or the throttle braking procedure which is SO much fun.

jackg
waiting patiently, so far
06 sts6

JTS/STS
06-03-06, 08:39 AM
Update:
From the Shell site: http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=us-en&FC2=/us-en/html/iwgen/leftnavs/zzz_lhn3_4_1.html&FC3=/us-en/tailored/shell_for_motorists/fuels/optimax/optimax_about_ga_1602.html

Under the FAQ section we find "All Shell gasolines meet the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standard."
However that does not mean all three grades have the same cleaning agents.
On their "About Shell V-Power" page we find:
"Shell regular and mid-grade gasolines contain more than twice the amount of detergents required by the EPA." and
".. it (Shell V-Power) contains more than five times the amount of cleaning agents required by government standards."
Not the same but all Top Tier.
Shell's other grades, while better than most, still do not clean as well as their premium (V-Power).

Cheers :bouncy:

Jim

justgreat
06-03-06, 11:04 AM
while the premium grade may have more cleansing agents than 87/89, there are more deposits to be removed when using the premium grade. as i said, there are more additives necessary in premium than the 87 or 89.

the gas is itself is the same for all three grades. it's the additives that fine tune, if you will, the different octane and knock characteristics for each grade. that's why i mentioned that in some cases, using premium in certain engines, under certain conditions can do more harm to c/c and valves and rings in forming deposits.

just got back from the dealer; my salesman thinks he can get me the owner's manual in about a week so i can start reading up...can't wait.

jackg
06 sts6 on order

AllWheelEric
06-03-06, 11:51 AM
Jack, if the anticipation is killing you, you can print yourself an owner's manual at http://www.mygmlink.com (or read it online as PDF).

justgreat
06-04-06, 04:03 PM
thanks for the link...i registered but need my vin for the full monty...i will have
to wait...i also have an emailnotification in with helms for the service manual when it comes out.

jackg
06 sts6 on order

AllWheelEric
06-04-06, 08:03 PM
I didn't give them the VIN yet either but I can click on Vehicle Home, then Glovebox, then Owner/Service Manuals.

justgreat
06-05-06, 04:34 AM
got it!!...thanks eric.

jackg
06 sts6 on order

justgreat
06-08-06, 12:10 PM
another question: how many rpm's does the v6 turn at 60mph on level ground?

jackg
06 sts6 waiting...

psykiv
06-10-06, 12:16 AM
justgreat: I would think it depends...

for the oil question: my friend owns an oil change place, doesn't charge me, and puts in synthetic for me. so why waste my time changing my oil, when I can have someone else do it, for free?

as for gas: Unless something wierd comes up, I fill it up with Chevron Supreme w/ Techron

justgreat
06-10-06, 04:53 AM
IF i had somebody who would change my oil and filter for FREE...yeah, i would have them do it...but in my world, the wife picks up the tab for service or i do it myself.

it's so strange regarding the oil; apparently the cars are filled from the factory with mobil 1 but the standard requirment per the manual is dino oil, not synthetic. go figure...

jackg
06 sts6 waiting patiently...