: Tie Rod Ends replacement

jas386
05-31-06, 03:54 PM
has anyone had the pleasure of replacing the tie rod ends on their Fleetwood?

I have a 93 Fleetwood limo with a front tire thats a leaner. going to attempt to change the tie rod. is this something difficult, or does anyone have any suggestions or instructions on how to do this?

N0DIH
05-31-06, 05:00 PM
Tie rods won't make the tire lean, that is upper control arm bushings or alignment.

As for replacement, the hardest thing is getting the adjuster loosened up to turn. then pop the tie rod loose from the end, and turn it off counting the turns, put new one on, counting the turns and put back on. OR just measure it at a repeatable location like grease fittings. If you are like me, home brew alignment is fine for tie rods, likely more accurate than a shop, but it takes time to get dialed in sometimes....

Make sure tie rod adjust clamps are tight and in the same exact location as it was, GM spec's it so it won't hit anything in the full range of travel.

jas386
06-01-06, 03:19 PM
i havent been under there to look yet, i assumed it was the tie rod end because of the rediculous amount of play in the steering wheel. and in hard turns i can feel the wheel kind of moving around. Is this the upper control arm also, and is that a pain, or very expensive to replace? I wouldnt worry about it, except for the safety aspect.

N0DIH
06-01-06, 07:14 PM
Look at the upper arm bushings, you can see them, upper arms are fairly easy to remove, you don't need spring compressors, just leave car on the ground. I did my 80 T/A upper bushings (thinking it was the source of my steering play, it wasn't) that way.

1. Check steering rag joint (steering shaft to box coupler)
2. Check all tie rods. I grab them and have someone jerk the wheel back and forth. I prefer engine off, safer and quieter so the steerer can hear me.
3. Check drag link (mine was shot and wandered all over the road...). Same type check as tie rods, grab each joint and jerk wheel back and forth. Get deep enough in the turn of the wheel that you see something, not a little bit, but like 2/3rd turn or more of the wheel.
4. Check the ball joints (upper and lower). I think GM has you pry on them to see if they move. Look for the wear indicators to be recessed.
5. Look for broken tire belts. May need to spin tire and watch tread for odd movement.