: What is a V6 doing in a STS???

weister42
05-31-06, 12:03 PM
I was looking for cars on eBay and came across a bunch of new 06 STS with a V6...my first impression is WTF??? The STS looked almost like a CTS V6, I thought STS was a "Sport Touring Sedan" and comes with a N* V8 since Cadillac introduced it back in 1993?

This high gas price thing is messing up Cadillac's V8 legend:mad:

CadillacSTS42005
05-31-06, 01:46 PM
STS has a base V6 then you can option up to a V8

AsAkAs
05-31-06, 07:58 PM
I was looking for cars on eBay and came across a bunch of new 06 STS with a V6...my first impression is WTF??? The STS looked almost like a CTS V6, I thought STS was a "Sport Touring Sedan" and comes with a N* V8 since Cadillac introduced it back in 1993?

This high gas price thing is messing up Cadillac's V8 legend:mad:

Why have a V8 in a car that doesn't really need one?

0-60 in 7 seconds is just fine for everyday driving applications. Most people don't need more power than that. V6 is good for some, and cadillac is smart to offer one. If it didn't you would loose lots of buyers to other brands like Audi, BMW and mercedes that offer both V6's and V8's in thier large sedan lineups.

JTS/STS
05-31-06, 08:51 PM
The V6 is quite a nice engine. It has more than enough get up and go and most people will not be disappointed with the V6. It is actually a better driving car than the V8 with 48%/52% F/R weight bias in the V6 vs. 46%/54% weight bias in the V8. I actually prefer the V6 on a country road. It has better balance and turns in quicker. You ought to try one of each. To me, they drive like different cars. I do not think that you will be disappointed with either. If 0-60 is your forte then go for the V8. (V6 0-60 under 7 sec. and V8 under 6 sec.) The V8 does sound better esp. at higher RPMs.

How do I know? I have one of each and love them both.

Jim

Jesda
06-01-06, 07:10 AM
Youre thinking of the Seville. The game has changed, and so have the cars.

jgrade
06-01-06, 08:37 AM
I traded an SLS with the NorthStar for and 06 STS V6 and have to say it's plenty of power. High gas prices or not the V6 is a great car. Flame on V6 owners:thepan:

soupero
06-01-06, 02:22 PM
yeah the V6 rules :) and btw you guys shouldn't complain about high gas prices look at the European prices :O

svnoto
06-03-06, 12:41 PM
JTS/STS, do you have the magnetic ride control in your v8? I own a CTS with the 3.6 and sports suspension and a STS with an 8 and the magnetic ride control, and I think the MRC makes all of the difference. Of course the CTS handles more aggresively, but for highway driving through turns, I think the MRC is a godsend.

Also, if you do have the MRC, which setting do you keep it on during the twistys?

JTS/STS
06-03-06, 03:28 PM
svnoto, no MRC on my V8. So I cannot comment on the STS's MRC. The standard V8 suspension is a great suspension. The V6 just feels better balanced. I am familiar with the MRC on the Vette. It is amazing. It gives you the best of both worlds. However, for performance, most Vette owners prefer the Z51 suspension (of course there is always the Z06).

Whoops! I just noticed that I flipped the F/R weight distribution percentages in my prior reply. It should read 52/48 % F/R for the V6 and 54/46 % F/R for the V8. Sorry.

Jim