: Where the V belongs

wildwhl
05-31-06, 01:56 AM
This past weekend I had duty of driving the V in the following:

Sunshine
Rain
Snow (complete white out as it melted on the hot pavement after dark)
Child delivery (in all of the above)
more snow
a whole lot more rain (:thumbsup: GSD3's)

Over 600 miles.

Half of that quite aggressive. A road map = Reno - Truckee - Portola - Quincy - around Lake Almanor - Susanville - Reno and then reverse 2 days later.

In all of the twisties the plan is simple. Several 25 mph recommended corners. Leave her in 5th gear. Cruise control set to speed limit +10. Don't hit the brakes unless necessary for "obstructions". Quite frankly, the V equipped as she is now, can handle most corners at 2-3 times the posted speed.

In the straights - pacing trafffic - which means 6th gear at 75-85 mph. Pass at will in 4th, 5th or 6th. 1 car, 2 cars, RV and a boat, doesn't matter.

The results? No tickets (I was sane, though aggressive and I limited my arsehole time to when the road was clear and I was alone). My enjoyment of the car is :worship: Several sportbikes laid to waste, one C6, an M3 vert, two 911's and a silly looking Charger RT in a big long straight where I rolled in 5th and heard him shift like mad. Not one loss. Not even close. The best part is leaving the 2 wheelers gasping for air in the twisties without even working at it. It can be done with the cruise control on - just stay off the brakes and let her grip the turns. 1.12 - 1.01 G-meter.

And here's the real kicker.

Total of 624 miles. DIC indicates average vehicle speed of 49.4 mph (mapquest the cities I listed and you'll see this is very respectable). DIC indicated milage? 24.4 mpg. Actual calculated milage? 25.1 mpg. For whatever reason the DIC has always been less than optimistic.

How close to perfect is this car REALLY?

A whole hell of a lot closer than any of us want to admit.

And where does she belong? In the twisty roads, driven by true enthusiasts, and sleeping in my garage.

Good night gents.

WW

VELOSE
05-31-06, 02:19 AM
WW, you make me want to drive down skyline blvd. to Capitola, CA for some good chowder. We need more stories like this. ;)

anim8orCTSV
05-31-06, 02:54 AM
Wow, You make me want to get in my V right now and hit Angeles Forest Highway at full tilt.

Probably not a great idea in the dark.

I drove that way the first week I had my V and it was a complete BLAST.

I made it from my House to LAX in 58 minutes when it should have taken me 2 1/2 hours (the long way).

-anim8orCTSV

wildwhl
05-31-06, 09:55 AM
Frank -

Ahhh...Capitola. I'm from Santa Cruz originally, I know of where you speak quite well. Any place in particular?

Have a great Wednesday folks.

WW

P-Funk
05-31-06, 10:27 AM
Awesome man. :thumbsup: Sounds like a blast. :bouncy:

V-SATX
05-31-06, 10:48 AM
Wildwhl,

When you love her and treat her well she will love you back!!!

Thanks from those of us that can only dream of the winding roads on the West Coast.

BadCad
05-31-06, 02:02 PM
nice to read that....

VELOSE
05-31-06, 02:11 PM
Frank -

Ahhh...Capitola. I'm from Santa Cruz originally, I know of where you speak quite well. Any place in particular?

Have a great Wednesday folks.

WW

I can't remember the name of the chowder place but I do like to go to Crows Nest for dinner when in the area.

Thanks to you Bill, I ordered some Falken RT-615 tires yesterday. I'm about to order some Stainless Steel Lines and Motul brake fluid. The headrest camera mount is ordered as well. Hopefully I'll have some video footage of my track day on June 22nd at Thunderhill Raceway to inspire the rest of the members here. ;)

Staxxin
05-31-06, 02:48 PM
Very enjoyable read! Thanks!!!

kjr39
05-31-06, 04:34 PM
And where does she belong? In the twisty roads, driven by true enthusiasts, and sleeping in my garage.

:yeah:

wildwhl
05-31-06, 10:28 PM
Frank, I'm glad to hear you've come to your senses :thumbsup:

WW

VELOSE
06-01-06, 12:36 AM
You just need to stop typing up bait to attract me to Porsche's. You keep changing that line under your username and screwing me up.

I want to payoff my V to get my 997 something. ;)