: Anyone have a run with The Charger R/T yet?

GAGS-V
05-30-06, 09:37 PM
I am curious if anyone has had any experience in running against a Charger R/T yet? How did it go? We should be able to handle them fairly easily.

Another question after reading this forum is that before a race you guys turn the traction control off. Why is that? It would seem to make sense to keep it on for full traction, what am I missing here?

twentyon20s
05-30-06, 09:48 PM
Not head to head, but i had one definately staring on the highway. We did a few accelerations and he couldnt keep up. I stopped (family in the car) and let him go, but he didnt handle the off-ramp nearly as well as I did.

nikon
05-30-06, 09:50 PM
just so so I know, the r/t has a 5.7 and the srt has 6.1 right??? what about the srt then?? anyone race one of those??

DILLIGAF
05-30-06, 09:51 PM
Yep,no fun at all.However,I like the chargers styling.Thought about getting one for my kid till I lurked in their forums,now I don't want to be associated with that crowd.Serious.Check the faq on the t/c issue.With the t/c on you lose way to much power when the wheels break loose alittle.

Kyle15
05-30-06, 10:18 PM
My buddy has an SRT and my Trailblazer SS loses to it....BARELY and I mean BARELY so we should hand them their asses pretty easily.

Caddy Man
05-30-06, 10:55 PM
Forget the R/T...I wanna see how an SRT holds up to the V...the SRT runs about 43,000 fully loaded (I just built one), that car is more in the category of the CTS V.

starfox86
05-30-06, 10:59 PM
GUYS! I raced one tonight actually...from a red light we rolled at about 10mph and then we both hit it..I stayed about 2 feet ahead until the end 2nd i started creeping out a little further. after the middle of third he let off. we catch the next light and he says "wow those are fast...I have much more weight to pull on mine" I was like "yeah man..those are some beasts".and then I had to turn. But yeah, what a rush. and actually I had a go with a 300C with some 22" rims (lol) 2 nights ago. we started at a red light (mind you this is like 2 in the morning) we both punched it...he stayed with me for a bit, I was very suprized. when I hit the end of third i just started to leave him. I think I hit about 135 and he was about 5-6 car lengths back still punchin it. then i finally let off because i had to turn towards my house.

wildwhl
05-31-06, 01:02 AM
Yes. ;)

nikon
05-31-06, 11:28 AM
GUYS! I raced one tonight actually...from a red light we rolled at about 10mph and then we both hit it..I stayed about 2 feet ahead until the end 2nd i started creeping out a little further. after the middle of third he let off. we catch the next light and he says "wow those are fast...I have much more weight to pull on mine" I was like "yeah man..those are some beasts".and then I had to turn. But yeah, what a rush. and actually I had a go with a 300C with some 22" rims (lol) 2 nights ago. we started at a red light (mind you this is like 2 in the morning) we both punched it...he stayed with me for a bit, I was very suprized. when I hit the end of third i just started to leave him. I think I hit about 135 and he was about 5-6 car lengths back still punchin it. then i finally let off because i had to turn towards my house.

was that an r/t you raced??? or srt?

caddyv
05-31-06, 11:40 AM
a buddy of mine has a srt charger and we have run a few times. It is actually pretty even until mid third gear. by the end of third im about a car ahead. the srt sounds amazing stock and it handles really well for being such a big car, still no V. Oh yeah the charger runs consistant 13.3's at the track (no fun automatic) completely stock.

Mat347
05-31-06, 12:40 PM
I raced one on the freeway the other day, I walked away both times quite easily. All I have is the Volant, the SRT sounds quite a bit louder than a V..maybe he had exhaust???

But I raced my bud in his V, I took him real easy...too easy...until I asked him if he had TC on...after he turned it off it was way closer. Leaving it on will cost you about two lengths in the 1/4.

96Fleetwood
05-31-06, 02:15 PM
Oh yeah the charger runs consistant 13.3's at the track (no fun automatic) completely stock.

My Dad and I ran 12.99, 12.96, and 13.1 in his 2006 Charger SRT-8 when it was around 2100 miles at the Richmond Dragway. It was completely stock! :thumbsup: It destroyed the 13.8 we ran in his 2002 CE T/A WS6 Convertible.

CVP33
06-01-06, 03:12 AM
12.7's to 13.2's are pretty repeatable. From a dig, most CTS-V's can't keep up especially when trying to modulate tire spin, wheel hop and keep from frying the clutch. From a roll, the CTS-V should have the advantage. The 6 speed allows you to put the LS6 in the "sweet spot" everytime. The SRT-8's is deadly at 62mph and 82mph as the transmission will down shift at those speeds and launch hard. Any other speeds and the automatic is not at the optimum rpm's.

As for the handling stock vs. stock the V makes you feel safer when you're pushing it, but the SRT-8's are actually very good handlers. I've since added KW V2 coilovers and Hotchkis Swaybars and now mine handles better than my stock V ever did. Then again it better after spending over $2,000 on suspension upgrades.

I'd still love to run a V if anyone local wants to get together I'm always available for a fun run. :thumbsup:

MSJ
06-01-06, 08:59 AM
One of my best friends has an SRT-8 charger and an 05 GTO. We had 6 c5's between us in the last few years. Oddly, last night we swapped cars the for a couple days and there is a silver SRT-8 charger sitting in my parking lot today..LOL

I've run both the R/T's and the SRT-8. R/T's are nice but not really a challenge. The SRT-8 is a diff story all together - I've seen them run 12.9x at the track bone stock. I'd have to agree with caddyV and CVP33. From a dig if you get wheel hop they'll get a good car on you, and it's pretty even until you hit 3rd when you'll pull that car in and start passing it, by fourth it's a consistent walk. The torque spike chris mentions at 62 and 82 are indeed deadly, but a V at 65 in 3rd is win as well..lol

I love the SRT-8's, but the handling feels a bit numb to me comparitively - still a good handler though. It's really a coke vs. pepsi kinda thing- both good, just depends upon your personal preference. :thumbsup:

brtnharv
06-01-06, 12:44 PM
..I think I hit about 135 and he was about 5-6 car lengths back still punchin it. then i finally let off because i had to turn towards my house.

you raced from a stop to 135? that is like a 16 second race...more balls than me...