: Tire pressure sensors any good?

BadCad
05-30-06, 04:01 PM
Picked up some used V-wheel tire pressure sensor for use on new set of wheels. Can anyone tell me how to make sure the sensors are good before tires are mounted on the new wheels? I hate to have the tires all mounted and then placed on the V and find out the sensors are no good.
Tks,

BadCad
05-31-06, 12:50 PM
Anyone know?........

Jschmank
05-31-06, 09:33 PM
seems I read somewhere on the FAQ's that the sensor battery lasts 5 to 8 years. Not sure if there is any way to see the dates or replace the battery.

50 4Ever
05-31-06, 10:45 PM
Not sure if there is anyway of testing it out of the tire. But it seeme to me if you had a big strong magnet and went thru the proceedure in the faq to reprogram the TPS, if you could get the sensor to program using the magnet it would be good since it has to transmit something inorder for the computer to recognize it. Seems like it would work to me.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

If you get it to work send something to Reed (ctsvett) so he can include it in the faq. :highfive:

ctsvett
05-31-06, 10:52 PM
uhhh. magnets done work on the V....

You could try entering the programming mode (listed on the faq) and when it says to put air in/out, do just that on the valve stem of the TPS. It may or may not work (may require rotation)... its worth a try I guess...

Reed

StealthV
05-31-06, 11:28 PM
If one wanted to go to the dealer, I don't see any reason why they couldn't use their handheld tool to program the unmounted sensors to your V. They'd read zero but you'd know their working.

tedcmiller
06-01-06, 12:00 PM
Magnets don't work on CTS-V TPMs. You must use either the pressure change method or a Scan Tool to program the sensors. Also, simply putting air into the TPM with no tire on the rim won't accomplish anything. The air just goes through the TPM. I personally don't know of any way to completely test unmounted TPMs (in this case, mounted implies that the TPM is mounted on the rim and a tire is installed on the rim). As suggested by StealthV, you could get a dealer to use his Scan Tool to check to see if it could communicate with the TPM. If communication can be established, this shows that a)the TPM battery is not dead and b)the TPM is accurately reporting a pressure of zero. Whether or not it will work properly at any other pressure is still unknown. If the TPM communicates a pressure other than zero, it is probably defective.

BadCad
06-02-06, 11:39 AM
OK... thanks for the info, guys. I guess I am stuck going to the dealer with their handhelds to test these, as much as I dislike seeing the dealer. I may just pass on testing these, mount the wheels and take my chances.

RedGalant2k1
06-02-06, 12:29 PM
OK... thanks for the info, guys. I guess I am stuck going to the dealer with their handhelds to test these, as much as I dislike seeing the dealer. I may just pass on testing these, mount the wheels and take my chances.

A lot of tire shops should have the TIPS Tire Pressure tool by now. Its a tool that can test the functionality of your TPMS. You will need to have the new sensors in or near the vehicle with the old sensors removed. Either way after testing they will need to be retrained after being installed in the wheels. Though they are simple enough for a tire shop to remove.