: Howling

c2000
05-30-06, 04:56 PM
I have a 2005 STS with Michilen Pilots.. When driving on a very smooth blacktop road I get a howling noise. I'm guessing it is coming from the tires but don't know for sure. When driving on other sufaces I'm sure it still makes the noise but the over all road noise covers it up..

Jerry in Minnesota

RedGalant2k1
06-03-06, 12:42 AM
Does it change at all when turning? By that I mean get worse when turning left for example.

c2000
06-09-06, 02:55 PM
Took it to the dealer and right front tire is wearing on the left side of the tire causing some howl.Of course the car has 12,000 miles and the tire warranty is now off.. I guess I will just deal with it until it needs new tires..

Jerry in Minnesota.

The Tony Show
06-09-06, 03:54 PM
Souns like you either have too much camber on the front, or your aren't taking corners fast enough to even out the wear.:lildevil:

rwbenson
06-14-06, 12:37 AM
I had a similar problem with my 2005 STS with performance Michelin tires that came with the performance package. It took 2 trips to the dealer and a call to the owner, before I convinced them that the tire howl was not how luxury cars should sound.

They replaced the 4 tires with a lower rated Michelin and the sound howl went away.

I can send more details if you would like.

rwbenson@sbcglobal.net

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.The 2005 STS has had an unusual low pitch noise that can be described in various ways as a grinding / growling sound that seems to be emanating from the wheel/tire area of the car. The noise appears at all speeds but is most pronounced at low speeds (< 30 mph). The car was very quiet when new. This sound has become noticeable over the last 2 months. I would describe the sound level as more of an “old truck” sound than that of a “luxury” automobile.

Jesda
06-14-06, 06:25 AM
A regular at this forum, Wes, recently put Michelin Pilots on his Q45 in place of Pirellis. The grip was outstanding but the ride quality and noise level was awful.