: Coolant boiling out of overflow

CadillacSTS42005
05-30-06, 12:45 PM
^ does this mean bad headgaskets? its not my caddy but a friend of mine has an 96 STS with this problem and it has overheated a few times. I was thinking maybe the return line could be blocked or the cap could be bad. I know overflow is a sign but i though it was usually just overheating.

krimson_cardnal
05-30-06, 02:17 PM
seems like you have identified the first issues to check out. wouldn't jump right to a head gasket.

baby steps, eliminate the obvious first.

what's the maintenance history on the cooling system??

CadillacSTS42005
05-30-06, 03:14 PM
he bought the car about a year ago it only has 78K on it and before it was bought i believe he changed all the fluids

gabriel84
05-30-06, 05:08 PM
I have a 99 sts.. when I start it I can smell coolant coming out the mufflers along with a white smoke for about 15 minutes..I have to be refilling the coolant frequently.. it doesnt overheat though.. I dont know what to do

Ranger
05-30-06, 07:45 PM
Yes, that is one sign of a bad head gasket. This has been discussed many many times. Check to be sure the purge line is clear. Check the water pump belt tensioner. Check the cap. Check to be sure the thermostat is opening when it should.

CadillacSTS42005
05-30-06, 10:02 PM
i know its been discussed many times and i hate to be guilty of perhaps one of the things i hate the most about people on this forum posting topics without searching to see if its already been explained, however the car doesnt have alot of miles and hes kept up with the maintenance and has no other signs of HG failure no coolant loss just boiling out and none coming out of the exhaust just overheating and boiling out.

Ranger
05-30-06, 10:18 PM
Well, sometimes shit happens, but don't condem the head gaskets til you check the simple, easy & cheap things first.

CadillacSTS42005
05-30-06, 11:50 PM
thats what i figured but he lives an hr and a half away and if it was the heads i was gonna tell him not to waiste his time and gas to come here for me to tell him your fuked man haha

Harry Yarnell
05-31-06, 06:35 PM
Are the fans coming on? What's the temp numbers from the INFO display?

CadillacSTS42005
05-31-06, 11:27 PM
idk i left him a message and hes comin over tomarrow for me to look at it thanx alot thus far guys!