: 1990 Brougham AC Compressor HELP!!!

1990CaddyBrougham
05-29-06, 07:50 PM
The heat is here and its time to Crank the AC.:bulging: Turned it on for the first time yesterday and im having a bit of a problem. The AC Compressor turns on intermitanly... When it is on and pumping it puts out cold air... but it will sut off or the clutch will didengage.

Its weird... Doesnt matter if the car is driving or stopped. It will Click and turn not even a 1/4 spin, sometimes it will turn once.. Or it may switch on and stay on for a minute... Someting is tripping it out and in. Looking at the plug, someone has already been there.. therer was tape around it. Looks a bit messy, but wiggleing the wires dosent do anything..

Im hoping somoene else has had this problem..

I was going to Gank the plug off my 92 parts car, but its differnt... Bastards.. :rant2:

Here is what im dealing with... You can seee a resistor or something connecting each wire... i dint know if thats factory or if thats the work of bobs auto repair that granny who owned it took it too, and he rigged something up.... But for the 5 seconds the AC comes on its lovely! :bouncy:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/AcCompressor.jpg

The Ape Man
05-29-06, 08:12 PM
That isn't a resistor. It's a diode. It's there to dissipate the Voltage spike caused by the collapse of the field of the compressor coil when power is suddenly removed. Should be a trouble free part.
Time to get a pressure gauge connected to at least the low side of the system to see where you stand charge wise. Either you have a real unusual problem or your low pressure switch is cutting the compressor off due to lack of freon. The low side pressure readings are very telling.

1990CaddyBrougham
05-29-06, 08:23 PM
So you are saying it may be low on freon... I should see what i got still chilling in the system.

And that dildo is sopose to be there.. Good to know.

N0DIH
05-30-06, 04:47 PM
Get gauges and check pressures.
Read my recent post on AC Problems Fixed. It might help.

Destroyer
06-01-06, 12:17 PM
It IS low on freon. Problem fixed but it is leaking somewhere too. Hopefully not too bad.

N0DIH
06-01-06, 01:19 PM
A sign of low freon is frost on the lines to the evaporator after the orifice (follow the line from the condensor (the heat exchanger in front of the rad) to the firewall), the orifice is in that line. If you find the point where it goes from hot to cold, that it the orifice.

GM says if it is cold after the orifice into the evaporator and warm out of the evaporator and the accumulator, it is low on freon. In my case, I was ok on freon, but had a restriction other than the orifice, and it didn't allow it to flow properly.