: A question about the interior of my car

MangoLovesYou
05-29-06, 04:26 PM
Hey, all, hows it going? I have a question for ya. My 84 Coupe DeVille, the leather is cracked a little bit on the seats, and today, I just noticed, the door pannel (the armrest part), where the window stwiches ar- its starting to crack just a bit. But I'm crazy about my car, so its gotta be fixed, like, asap. Anyhoo, do you guys know of any leather repair kits or anything like that out there that will work on the seats and the door?

Thanks alot for the advice.

Also, PS- is that actualy leather or vynl on the door? Cuz if its vynl, that changes things, and I need to find a vynl repair kit too.

Benzilla
05-29-06, 05:56 PM
Its vinyl on the door, most people just get a new armrest. I need to get one too, its funny some people say its not a real Cadillac unless the armrest cracks when it hits 15 lol. about the seat, I've heard that theres this really good company called leatherique or something, I'm sure sonebody else can give you more info.

Rick186
06-03-06, 10:32 PM
I stumbled across a site that you may want to check out. They are peddling a kit that covers up rips and tears in vinyl and leather. It's called:

www.SeenOnTVProducts.net

They have all that useless junk you see pop up in commercials on TV that says you can't get in stores and that you have to call in the next 30 seconds or whatever.

Anyhow, I got one of these types of kits some years ago to fix a rip in a seat on my boat and it did a pretty good job.

Their "Liquid Leather Repair Kit" is only $13.95, (allegedly reduced from $39.95 . . .yeah, right. . .) so you don't have a huge investment in the thing if it isn't up to your hopes and I suspect that a bit of nail polish remover or plain old Acetone will remove any residue if it it doesn't work out and what's left is too funky.

Good luck.

Rick186

Benzilla
06-03-06, 10:43 PM
that sounds interesting, but I can't find it on that web site. its huge, and theres no search.

Rick186
06-04-06, 07:56 AM
Yo! Big Ben!

Google to the rescue.:thumbsup:

Call up

LIQUID LEATHER REPAIR KIT

on Google and follow along that path. There are a whole bunch of ways to track the product. Some even cheaper that the $13.95 that I found.

Good hunting.

Rick186

MangoLovesYou
06-04-06, 09:02 AM
Awsome, I just ordered it! Thank you so much

Bro-Ham
06-04-06, 11:28 AM
Hi Mango,

Ben brought up Leatherique, and I've used their products and they are top notch.

www.leatherique.com

Good luck!

Dave

Benzilla
06-04-06, 02:11 PM
Yo! Big Ben!

Google to the rescue.:thumbsup:

Call up

LIQUID LEATHER REPAIR KIT

on Google and follow along that path. There are a whole bunch of ways to track the product. Some even cheaper that the $13.95 that I found.

Good hunting.

Rick186
Thanks I found it, I think I'll stick to leatherique and a new armrest.

Rick186
06-04-06, 09:12 PM
What about vinyl?

BTW, noting the Leatherique site and their attention to color matching, my secret weapon for color matching is my wife who was/is an art treacher. Her color vison is amazing.

She could easily destroy any of the guys trying the Coast Guard's notoriously difficult "Lantern Test."

But did somebody say that the door panels on the FWB were VINYL??:confused:

wHO CHEAPED OUT?

Rick186

Benzilla
06-04-06, 10:23 PM
umm, yeah its vinyl, on his 84 Coupe DeVille the only leather is the cushions of the seats, everything else is vinyl or plastic.

Rick186
06-04-06, 10:51 PM
Looks like the bean counters invaded all over!

On my 79 Cordoba, bought new, the seats were that "Rich Corinthian Leather" but only in the middle. At the edges, it was VINYL! That cracked on the driver's side after about 7 years. (I keep cars a long time. I gave it to my cousin's daughter in 1998)

Strangely, the door panels were a mix of leather and vinyl and cast plastic.

Along the inside top of the door was the nubbly cast plastic. Below that was leather but below that was vinyl and along the botton 6" edge was some kind of what I'd call galvanized mouse fur to match the carpet. The whole thing was backed by cardboard and tar paper covering poly sheeting.

I found that stuff when I had to unstick and rebuild the power window motor.

NOTE - Those safety warnings in the factory manual about the springs in the window mechanism aren't kidding. They'd take your arm off if you aren't careful!

Rick186

Benzilla
06-04-06, 11:12 PM
atleast the whole seating area in the Cadillac is leather, and the center armrest, and the head rests. If I ever need to have one if my interiors re-done, I'll have it done in almost all leather, give it an even higher quality feel.

Frost
06-05-06, 06:08 AM
I don't have a pic to show anyone, but when my armrests cracked on my '88 SedanDeville, (both of them on the front doors), I rebeled against the dealer who wanted an unbelievable $280 PER ARMREST - and they only came in black!

I have cloth interior and it is a taupe colour. Well, I started going to upholstery shops and looked around until I found a perfect match for the car seats - got a coupla yards, went to a car upholstery shop and had them recover the armrests. They did a fantastic, professional job and you have no more cracking issues.

Oh, the price? 10 bucks for the material and 60 bucks for the labour to do both. Now I tell anyone who notices that I have the ULTRA RARE cloth option on the armrests - only one known to be in existence!

As for leather repair, go to leathermagic.com. They are the best. Period.