: Poor Man's Security System.

ralphb
05-29-06, 03:48 PM
I was reading some auto theft statistics from around 1992-93. The average vehicle theft rating was 100, and the Cadillac Brougham was over 500. I imagine that it is even worse nowadays, with a spectacular Brougham like mine being particularly appealing to a would be car thief.

It would be nice to have a fighting chance to protect your Brougham from becoming one of these statistics, however, I am not a fan of aftermarket security systems for a number of reasons. I was thinking of something simple and inexpensive that one could do to effectively disable the car to try to thwart a carjacker or a car thief.

The starter solinoid is energized by a single 12 V.+ wire. If an ON-OFF switch was installed in this line, and located in a hidden, but readily accessible location, it would effectively render the vehicle inoperative. Even a sophisticated thief that has a set of master keys would be thwarted. Of course, the truly suave thief would use a flat-bed wrecker to load up his victim and be off without further todo.

Any comments and/or suggestions ?

fleetwood76
05-29-06, 04:13 PM
It is also possible to add a switch on the wire that feed the HEI ignition.
I have that on my Fleetwood and that is extra good beacause i don't drive the car on the winter, and when it is time to start the engine up after a long time sitting, i can crank the engine whithout the ignition until i get the oil preasure up.
And then just flip the switch and the engine starts gently.
However i can see one problem with my switch and that is if you have a catalyt converter, beacause the risk of unburned fuel get to the catalysator.

jolle

1990CaddyBrougham
05-29-06, 07:15 PM
For some reason i dont think a car theif is going to steal a 16 year old car... Or be on the lookout for one.. unless its some crazy crack whore trying to flee the state... or something from cops.

I have a viper alarm in my car... only because it came with it.
I dont lose sleep at night either when i leave it unlocked.. Plus if someone steals my Brougham.. or goes threw the trouble of it... Then they can take it. Insurace will cover it.

ocjmakaveli
05-31-06, 02:41 AM
Some or most people don't really care about their cars its just a tool so that they can get from A to B.

The rest of us don't just care about the $ value of our cars or whether or not our insurance will pay us 3-4 weeks after the car has been stolen.....

You can easily install a starter interruptor with a switch which you can hide practically anywhere..... Ive even seen custom install with pushbuttons that are hidden in the door panell so you must hold it down while starting your car or else your car won't start.....

there's also column shift collars so they cant easily start the car with a $.99 flathead screwdriver......

You should be able to find an easy diagram of how to do this to your car with www.the12volt.com (http://www.the12volt.com) and www.bulldogsecurity.com (http://www.bulldogsecurity.com) for wiring diagrams of your cars wire colors and also for a cut off switch etc.

I would go the easy route of a collar and cut off switch for starter.

itll at least take 20 minutes to bypass both if its a pro....unless you have $5000 rims they wont bother..

You might also want to look into one of the best cheapest theft deterrents it's a battery with remote taht when activated sends no current to the car so basically you can't start it unless you have the control for hte battery itself.

I saw it a couple times at sears auto or something.

Don't wait until you walk out of a mall and have to go to the police dept. to make a report then......call your insurance company and show any and all receipts for that vehicle...then pay the deductible for your insurance...then wait a few weeks for hte check so you can then.....add a few $1000 so you can buy another decent car ONLY to probably find out the car you bought had some hidden mechanical problems ..:bouncy: :rolleyes: :thepan:

Do I ever want to go through that last paragraph above? HELL NO :thumbsup:

N0DIH
05-31-06, 10:43 AM
I would do the starter interrupter and a HEI disabler too. Something to kill ignition and to keep them from cranking it. Honestly, if someone wants it bad enough, they will get it, but at least keep the common thieves from having it....

I still like the idea of charging the body of the car with 500v AC.... But the government doesn't always like my sense of humor.....

Rick186
06-02-06, 09:44 PM
Why not a simple, hidden, on-off toggle switch to the fuel pump?

On my Dodge Van/Wagon, it was inside the A/C duct,just behind the directional far left, driver's louver painted black, and was activated thru the vent by a pencil thru the louvers.

Kick it to the left was on, right was off, but since the Dodge was a 318 V-8 with mechanical pump, the wire was the + to the coil.

Sho' nuff, one time when I'd parked it in downtown Brooklyn, I came back to find the driver's door unlocked, nothing taken (nothing left, either!) but crooks apparently frustrated with dirty handprints all over the column and steering wheel. Ignition scratched but not jimmied too badly. Maybe I was just lucky and the scumbags were scared off in time before my deterrent had a chance to prove itself.

Rick186

Spock
06-03-06, 11:42 PM
There are many types of "kill switches" that can be installed, but some prevention for those flat bed thieves is this.

When you park your car, turn the wheel fully to the left or right, and then make sure the wheel is locked when the key is out. Someone would have to break in, break the steering column to straighten the wheel out so they can't just tow it away. Still theft could occur, but at least make their job harder.

adhood219
06-04-06, 01:34 PM
For some reason i dont think a car theif is going to steal a 16 year old car... Or be on the lookout for one.. unless its some crazy crack whore trying to flee the state... or something from cops.

I have a viper alarm in my car... only because it came with it.
I dont lose sleep at night either when i leave it unlocked.. Plus if someone steals my Brougham.. or goes threw the trouble of it... Then they can take it. Insurace will cover it.

Actually it all depends on where you live. Around my neighborhood, older Cadillac's are like BMW's. The european front (halogen lights,bezels, moulding etc) has a street value of over $1500. Trust me my buddy wrecked his 1991 Brougham. He spent roughly $2000 just in front end parts.

As far as security I would get the steering column collar. I am suprised that no one has mentioned the brake pedal lock. It keeps the brake pedal from being depressed. No brakes=no steal.