: Clutch slipping?

TTJR-CTS-V
05-29-06, 08:22 AM
I just turned 18k for miles and have noticed in the last few months the clutch is slipping at take off. The pedal seems to be a little mushy feeling, and it does it at slow speed from a start. If you hit the gas hard, it does not seem to do it. Anybody else have problems with their clutches? Is this a warranty issue or just wear and tear? Thanks!

rand49er
05-29-06, 08:54 AM
... Is this a warranty issue or just wear and tear? ...I would think that regardless it would be covered under warranty.

Just out of curiosity, how would you characterize your driving style? I've got 23.9k and no clutch problems, but I drive "wimpy." :)

TTJR-CTS-V
05-29-06, 10:01 AM
Have to say I have never treated it rough, a few burnouts but not many for sure, no speed shifting either. Like I said when you are going through the gears at about 5k it shifts great and the clutch feels fine, just at low speeds does it feel funny.:confused:

Froggy
05-29-06, 12:31 PM
Sorry to say, but it will probably not be covered under warranty. I just had mine replaced. Set me back $2200, 2 weeks after I bought the car with 12500 miles on the car.

If you go through Cadillac, the big problem you will run into is that the catalog is inaccurate. The Tech. orders what he thinks is the entire clutch kit, only to find out that the flywheel is the only thing shipped. Then they again order, what they think is the remaining parts, for an additional $700, to find out that, once again, more parts, time and money are needed. This is only half of the problem I had. I could go on with everything that happened, but it would be too long. It took them 2 1/2 weeks to get the car fixed.

I am currently fighting with Cadillac regarding this issue. I'm hoping that they will fix the problem they have with their catalogs so future customers won't have to go through the nightmare I had to.

When you do get your clutch replaced, be sure the Tech. confirms the parts he is ordering and not just assuming. Good luck!

wildwhl
05-29-06, 12:42 PM
Are you sure your clutch pedal isn't sticking to the floor at high rpms?

Isn't that what was happening to you Froggy?

(This is a subtle hint :shhh: )

WW

TTJR-CTS-V
05-29-06, 05:04 PM
No, its not sticking at high rpms, only low speed shifting, even feel it in reverse, which is also hard to engage most of the time.

lars464
05-29-06, 05:19 PM
It is sticking at high rpm's. Im sure of it! Hint=tsb=covered=happy!

Florian
05-29-06, 05:21 PM
2200 bux????? you couldve bought the best clutch on the market and still had money left over.....

You got screwed.

F

homer403
05-29-06, 05:53 PM
Please listen to WW's hint, it will save you $$$.

TTJR-CTS-V
05-29-06, 09:14 PM
Got it!, Thanks to all for the hints.....

Koooop
05-29-06, 09:57 PM
Got it!, Thanks to all for the hints.....

Just in case, complain that you are having this problem.

Some customers may comment that while shifting at engine speeds greater then 6000 RPMs, the clutch
pedal does not return to the up position. As the engine speed decreases, the clutch pedal will return to the
up position.

Then give the dude the document #

Mines a early '05, it was covered.

Document ID# 1645348
Clutch Pedal Does Not Return to Up Position
During Shifts at High Engine (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#) RPMs (Inspect Date
Code and Replace Clutch Kit (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#)) #05-07-31-001 -
(Apr 8, 2005)
Clutch Pedal Does Not Return to Up Position During Shifts at High Engine RPMs (Inspect Date Code
and Replace Clutch Kit)
2005 Cadillac (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#) CTS-V
2005 Chevrolet Corvette (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#), SSR
with Tremec T56 6-Speed Manual Transmission (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#) (RPOs M10, M12, MM6)
Condition
Some customers may comment that while shifting at engine speeds greater then 6000 RPMs, the clutch
pedal does not return to the up position. As the engine speed decreases, the clutch pedal will return to the
up position.
Cause
It is possible that when the engine speed is greater than 6000 RPM and the clutch pedal is depressed,
centrifugal loads on the clutch diaphragm spring may be greater than the clutch return load from the
diaphragm spring. This force created by RPM would be directionally opposite to the clutch bearing
force, causing a near net zero or less than zero return force. As a consequence, the clutch pedal may be
stuck at the bottom of travel at the floor. Once the engine speed reduces to less than 6000 RPM, spring
return load dominates and the clutch pedal returns to normal function.
Correction
Inspect the clutch date code and replace the clutch kit if built PRIOR to the following date code:

atdeneve
05-29-06, 10:00 PM
If you think the problem is that your clutch is worn out, although you should still definitely take it in for the TSB, this will not replace the worn out clutch - just the pressure plate. The TSB addresses the fact that the springs do not have enough tension to clamp down or overcome the high centripetal forces at such high rpms, regardless of the clutch pedal's position. At least, that's what I thought.

atdeneve
05-29-06, 10:06 PM
Cause
It is possible that when the engine speed is greater than 6000 RPM and the clutch pedal is depressed,
centrifugal loads on the clutch diaphragm spring may be greater than the clutch return load from the
diaphragm spring. This force created by RPM would be directionally opposite to the clutch bearing
force, causing a near net zero or less than zero return force. As a consequence, the clutch pedal may be
stuck at the bottom of travel at the floor. Once the engine speed reduces to less than 6000 RPM, spring
return load dominates and the clutch pedal returns to normal function.

Yea, there you go. Pretty much sums it up. Your problem, which, according to your description, is only happening as you try to get moving (i.e., low rpms), will not be addressed by this TSB.

Of course, if you do have this problem, as do I, by all means, get the TSB done. Just don't expect any miracles, as far as your current problem is concerned.

V-SATX
05-30-06, 12:03 AM
2200 bux????? you couldve bought the best clutch on the market and still had money left over.....

You got screwed.

F

:yeah:

$2200 you got to be kidding me?