: Tree sap on vynil top

92cadbro
05-28-06, 09:37 PM
Hi there ...

I have some tree sap spots on my white vynil top on the 92 brougham. Anybody knows how to gentyl clean this off?

thanks again

77CDV
05-28-06, 09:47 PM
Try car wax.

thu
05-28-06, 10:09 PM
Plain ol' Isopropyl Alcohol (ordinary household rubbing alcohol) dissolves tree sap in a HUGE hurry.

Mountie
05-28-06, 11:18 PM
W-D 40. It works. It will also protect the vinyl.

It's not a solvent, & no harsh ingredients. Some removers will dry the material, this won't.

I've worked on MANY race cars, boats, ..you name it. It's very good for removing duct tape glue & decal glue from paint, etc.

Benzilla
05-29-06, 01:45 AM
I wouldn't put car wax on the top, I used to know this old lady why tryed to "help" her husband but waxing the vinyl top on their deep red '80 Coupe Deville, weeks later it was cracked all to hell becuse the wax dryed it out. she was 71 :D

scurling
05-29-06, 11:45 AM
I've had the same problem with my light blue top. I stopped without a solution after I rubbed through the first color of the top. Some vinyl tops seem to have a layered color combination. If you find something that works well to dissolve the sap without heavy rubbing, let us know. My wife works at an office with large trees all around the lot, and I deal with the sap issue all the time.

Johnny Bravo
05-29-06, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE=Mountie]W-D 40. It works. It will also protect the vinyl.
It's not a solvent, & no harsh ingredients. Some removers will dry the material, this won't.
I've worked on MANY race cars, boats, ..you name it. It's very good for removing duct tape glue & decal glue from paint, etc.[QUOTE]

WD-40 is about 70% kerosene, 30% light oil, definetly in the solvent category. That's why it does so well dissolving adhesives and also evaporates eventually.

92cadbro
05-29-06, 01:07 PM
well i did remove the sap from the BODY of the car with mother's wax.......applied it on the spot, dried for 5 mins, and then just wiped it off............also, GOO-GONE works wonders on anything sticky............

but the vynil.......that's a different story.............i tried the same way as the body with goo gone and wax......but nothing.......very little.............and white spots where i did it...........:mad:

the vynil is so fragile people.....you really can't scrub hard AT ALL...........

I will try the alchool and the wd40 tonight.......ill write later for the results

92cadbro
05-29-06, 10:30 PM
well....

i did the wd40.........but no results.....dissapointment.it did not remove the sap...........maybe just a 10%.....but it did give it a nice coating!

and as per THU's post suggesting plain rubbing alcool..........u made my day bro......alcool DID dissolve the sap in a HUGE hurry..........some spots gone 100% in like 10 seconds of light wiping.....and some 95% gone.............i cleaned the whole vynil top ......cleans amazing, minimal white spots........ but dries the vynil a bit..........i will do the conditioner treatment tomorow...........thank you THU

thu
06-03-06, 02:24 PM
You're welcome! I'm glad it worked for you so well. Sometimes you barely have to wipe it.

If you use it on a waxed surface, it will also remove the wax. But, that's not a big deal - just rewax the spot.

Isopropyl is soooo cheap and goes a heck of a long way.

eracer
06-04-06, 07:38 PM
Lemon juice worked for me on paint that was covered in pine tree sap. Dunno what it would do to vinyl. My old gf's mother clued me in on that trick.

Edit: I'm not cock-sure this wont ruin paint or any other finish. It is an acid, so beware.