: Coolant Leak

Benlomand
05-28-06, 05:18 PM
96 Eldo leaking fluid from right front radiator area. Does'nt overheat, usually 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of coolant will fill 'er back up after about an hour of running.
I'm going to assume the radiator is bad til I get down to it. Heard replacement applications can be tricky.
Any input?

Ranger
05-28-06, 05:40 PM
Might not be the radiator. Might be the side tank, which is replacable.

Benlomand
05-29-06, 04:31 PM
Thanks, for the input

gabriel84
05-29-06, 07:25 PM
96 Eldo leaking fluid from right front radiator area. Does'nt overheat, usually 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of coolant will fill 'er back up after about an hour of running.
I'm going to assume the radiator is bad til I get down to it. Heard replacement applications can be tricky.
Any input?
hey, I have a 99 sts... I've put it on the comp.. it says emission/head gasket leak problem.... every time I start it this white smoke comes out for about 15 minutes.. and it smells like coolant therefore I have to be always refilling it....

I dont know what to do :mad:

Ranger
05-29-06, 08:13 PM
Don't think you have too many choices. Fix the head gaskets.

gabriel84
05-29-06, 08:58 PM
Don't think you have too many choices. Fix the head gaskets.
is it possible for the engine to be burning coolant instead of going to the radiator?

Ranger
05-29-06, 09:18 PM
Yes, sounds like that is exactly what it is doing, burning coolant (so to speak as coolant is not flammable). There are only two ways coolant can get into the combustion chambers to be burnt and that is through an intake manifold gasket or a head gasket. The Northstar intake manifold is dry (no coolant flow through it). That only leaves the head gaskets.

gabriel84
05-30-06, 03:57 PM
Yes, sounds like that is exactly what it is doing, burning coolant (so to speak as coolant is not flammable). There are only two ways coolant can get into the combustion chambers to be burnt and that is through an intake manifold gasket or a head gasket. The Northstar intake manifold is dry (no coolant flow through it). That only leaves the head gaskets.
hey... But someone told me if it was the head gasket the car would overheat...
My car does not overheat at all... it burns coolant for the first 15 minutes coming out the muffler.. after that it's fine... and I have to refill the coolant frequently.. what do you think?

Ranger
05-30-06, 06:38 PM
It WILL overheat as it depletes coolant (if you don't replenish it). Do a cylinder pressure test to confirm or rule out head gaskets.