: HELP!!!! Can't Find Dip Stick hole!!!!

Staxxin
05-28-06, 04:11 PM
As it says... My header install has been very rough and now I can't find the dip stick hole!!!! Please Help!!!!!

StealthV
05-28-06, 04:21 PM
From the top of the engine, shine a flashlight down towards the lower side of the engine block and look for the hole. Or from underneath, use your finger to find it, note the location and guide the dipstick.

Did I not say the dipstick was the worst part? ;)

urbanski
05-28-06, 04:27 PM
yep worst part

get an extra helper real fast :)

Staxxin
05-28-06, 04:28 PM
I have one and we still can't locate it. Any ideas?

Staxxin
05-28-06, 04:35 PM
I can't seem to see the hole!

Dennisscars
05-28-06, 05:09 PM
:histeric: sorry man, somebodies gotta do it.... I just got to it before Dannystang, for once..

Staxxin
05-28-06, 05:11 PM
There's no way I'm finding it.... Is it okay to drive the car without the dip stick to a shop? I don't want to damage anything!!!!!

2004ctsv
05-28-06, 06:18 PM
There's no way I'm finding it.... Is it okay to drive the car without the dip stick to a shop? I don't want to damage anything!!!!!

If the hole is not blocked, then you probably lose a little oil out of the hole.
Follow you nose to the smell of burnt oil from the leak?

T

Dennisscars
05-28-06, 06:27 PM

Since I was a smart aleck, if you must drive it loosen or remove oil fill cap so that you don't make crank case pressure and have hot oil squirting out on your brand new "HOT" headers... and bring a fire extinguisher...

and low rev's on the way there..

Drift-caddy
05-28-06, 06:58 PM
I can't seem to see the hole!

Give me a call 301-943-2882 and dont drive your car with no dipstick tube.

Damian

joshdctsv
05-28-06, 07:23 PM
This could be the greatest thread subject header....ever.

trekster
05-28-06, 07:48 PM
As it says... My header install has been very rough and now I can't find the dip stick hole!!!! Please Help!!!!!welcome to the club. I also had this problem too.

rand49er
05-28-06, 08:00 PM
Holy crap, John. :eek: I just tuned in.

You can find it, dude! I'm not sure I'd drive without that dipstick in there ... too much oil squirtin' out, making a mess.

Did you poke around a bunch? Yeah, I'm sure you did. Try that finger-finding method mentioned above (by Rick I think?). If there's two of you, you may be alright. It's there ... you know it's there. When you hit upon it, you'll know it, too, as I recall. It goes in unmistakably. You may have to tap it a bit with a hammer to get it to "seat" ... use a piece of wood (2x4) to protect the end and get it in there enough to line up with the bolt hole.

Keep messin' with it. You WILL do it! :thumbsup:

stkshkr
05-28-06, 08:34 PM
place the dipstick in the area of the mount and then look around underneath where the end winds up, if I remember it's on the top of something and you can't see it from the top or bottom, use your finger as Rick said you will find it eventually, it didn't go away.....patience

wildwhl
05-28-06, 10:00 PM
like stkshkr says - patience. Place the tube in place with dipstick out and it will line up with approximately where the hole is and help you find it. Much easier with one person on bottom and one on top (just can't resist here...wait...wait...nope, I'm going to play nice).

Good luck - and don't drive it without the dipstick unless you want to see a lot of smoke from burning oil on the headers.

WW

ctsvett
05-29-06, 01:35 AM
NOt sure if I need to edit the title of this thread (upon re-reading). it can be seriously mis-read.

HAHAH

Reed

rand49er
05-29-06, 06:52 AM
John, come back!

Did you find it?

:alchi:

Sheesh ... poor guy can't find a dipstick hole, and Reed's makin' jokes! :thepan:
Actually, Reed, that was pretty funny.

Staxxin
05-29-06, 07:46 AM
John, come back!

Did you find it?

:alchi:

Sheesh ... poor guy can't find a dipstick hole, and Reed's makin' jokes! :thepan:
Actually, Reed, that was pretty funny.

I know, I know... Heat of the moment and that's the title I came up with! I ended up calling it a night 6PM ET and heading the the BBQ I was 4 hours late too.

I had absolutely no luck locating the dipstick tube hole. I'm working this morning on finding an open exhaust shop and a towing company with a flatbed.

The other part of my horror story is the RT CATS and lead pipes did not mate with my MagnaFlow -not even close. I need find an exhaust shop that can get this thing back together...

What a day so I now know what MOD HELL is!!!!

Thanks for all the help guys and for lightening up the conversation.

rand49er
05-29-06, 11:00 AM
... MOD HELL ...Did the SW people actually say that you'd be able to mate up with your MagnaFlow exhaust, and they gave you the right connector pipes? :confused:

Hey, get back to us, and let us know how you made out.

heavymetals
05-29-06, 01:56 PM
You have my sympathy.

The dipstick hole should not be that frustrating, although I guess for you it is :rant2:

The last resort is jacking up the car and having someone help.

It is a lot easier if the dipstick is not in the tube when your doing this ( I assume you do have it removed).

Good luck on the exhaust to header mate up.

Check for leaks!

Now you know why I had all that BMR suspension stuff laying around for a year.

Joey'sVee
05-29-06, 03:14 PM
GM should have put a little hair around the hole. Then we would have all found it within seconds!!!

:histeric:

rand49er
05-29-06, 03:31 PM
GM should have put a little hair around the hole. Then we would have all found it within seconds!!!

:histeric:Reed! Reed! Better look out! :eek:

Things are degenerating! :stirpot:

Staxxin
05-29-06, 08:58 PM
No activity to report today! All the shops around the area were closed so hopefully I'll get everything addressed early in the morning

JOEYCTS-V
05-29-06, 09:02 PM
I say give it another shot when you have a clear head. You're probably so frustrated you'll never find it. Patience, patience, patience. :bouncy:

Staxxin
05-30-06, 09:48 PM
Latest update…. Car was towed this morning. The shop was able to get the dipstick tube installed. However, they said because of the size of the headers they needed to float out the tube at the mount point by adding some washers.

Sounded kind of odd to me as I’ve never heard anyone say this was necessary. Tomorrow morning, they will tackle getting the CATS to mate up with the MagnaFlow.

Stay tuned....

Give me a call 301-943-2882 and dont drive your car with no dipstick tube.

Damian

Damian,

I will give you a call tomorrow afternoon or Thursday - once I get a chance to look over the car. I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts about this...

DILLIGAF
05-30-06, 09:54 PM
They shimmed out the bracket that bolts to the head I bet.

Drift-caddy
05-30-06, 09:55 PM
hey i should have another V on the dyno on thursday for some tune. Come on by and say hi and watch. Nothing better to look and learn and see what we do, After all you are intrusting US to 50k of your hard earned money. Anyone and everyone is welcome to come out and learn and watch and ask ????.

Latest updateÖ. Car was towed this morning. The shop was able to get the dipstick tube installed. However, they said because of the size of the headers they needed to float out the tube at the mount point by adding some washers.

Sounded kind of odd to me as Iíve never heard anyone say this was necessary. Tomorrow morning, they will tackle getting the CATS to mate up with the MagnaFlow.

Stay tuned....

Damian,

I will give you a call tomorrow afternoon or Thursday - once I get a chance to look over the car. I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts about this...

rand49er
05-31-06, 06:04 AM
... However, they said because of the size of the headers they needed to float out the tube at the mount point by adding some washers.

Sounded kind of odd to me as Iíve never heard anyone say this was necessary. ...You know, I forgot to mention that, but I sort of tweaked mine to get it to fit. I suppose I could have used washers, too.

Anyway, the guy is right, so not to worry. :thumbsup:

Keep us posted. :)

cash
05-31-06, 07:44 AM
I would not mention this to your Wife or Girlfriend:crybaby:

Staxxin
05-31-06, 09:02 AM
hey i should have another V on the dyno on thursday for some tune. Come on by and say hi and watch. Nothing better to look and learn and see what we do, After all you are intrusting US to 50k of your hard earned money. Anyone and everyone is welcome to come out and learn and watch and ask ????.

Excellent! I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the invite!

Staxxin
05-31-06, 09:04 AM
You know, I forgot to mention that, but I sort of tweaked mine to get it to fit. I suppose I could have used washers, too.

Anyway, the guy is right, so not to worry. :thumbsup:

Keep us posted. :)

Wow, I'm feeling better now!!! I can't tell you how concerned I was. Hopefully, the exhaust work will be done sometime mid-afternoon.

Thanks for the heads up!!!

Staxxin
05-31-06, 01:51 PM
Another Update....

The car will be ready by COB today. The exhaust was apparently an easy fix. The cut into the X-Pipe and welded the CATs in - then the CATS will slip over the headers. They cut the provided lead pipes and added another custom bent one.

I was told the total is $263 for the dipstick tube and exhaust fabrication. I'm really looking forward picking her up today!!!

rand49er
05-31-06, 02:18 PM
... the total is $263 ...:thumbsup:

Staxxin
05-31-06, 06:09 PM
Can this get any better.... I'm dying here!!!!!

I pick up the car... The TAC doesn't work. I ever once in awhile it will jimp but then fall back down to zero. Also, the car feels real slugish almost like I'm hauling something. More fun, the auto recall on my seat when entering doesn't work either - using key fob. The AC seems warmer too.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell is wrong now?

heavymetals
05-31-06, 06:27 PM
Welcome to Mod Hell...

Staxxin
05-31-06, 06:30 PM
Welcome to Mod Hell...

I gotta tell you... I'm so fed up and worried - it's sickening!!!!!!!:crying2:

Staxxin
05-31-06, 06:47 PM
I just tried re-tunning the car with the SuperChips tuner. No dice, the TAC still doesn't work. However, my seat recall using key fob does now. Anyone have any idea why the TAC doesn't work anymore?

heavymetals
05-31-06, 07:41 PM
I think a wire is pinched or a harness plug isn't in all the way.

Towards the rear of the motor, underneath the windshild wiper assembly there are some connections.

You are throwing in more variables by reprogramming.

keeksv
05-31-06, 07:46 PM
301-943-2882

ew

rand49er
05-31-06, 07:48 PM
Welcome to Mod Hell...C'mon, heavy, you're used to it! Ya gotta cut John some slack here. He's the newbie in MH. :histeric:

Staxxin, your express power window may not work, either. They probably disconnected the battery. It's all fixable ... you'll be fine. :bonkers:

Staxxin
05-31-06, 08:48 PM
I think a wire is pinched or a harness plug isn't in all the way.

Towards the rear of the motor, underneath the windshild wiper assembly there are some connections.

You are throwing in more variables by reprogramming.

I just took a quick look and check the connections and all seems well. However, the TAC is still not working.

Staxxin
05-31-06, 08:50 PM
C'mon, heavy, you're used to it! Ya gotta cut John some slack here. He's the newbie in MH. :histeric:

Staxxin, your express power window may not work, either. They probably disconnected the battery. It's all fixable ... you'll be fine. :bonkers:

Thanks!!! My main concerns are the TAC and sluggish feeling. The car feels like it's hauling something...

Lindsay Cadillac
05-31-06, 08:50 PM
First thing you need to do is check for and clear the codes in the PCM if there are any... If the key was turned on with anything not connected completely it will set a "phantom" code in the PCM. Once this happens you will have the dreaded "reduced engine power". I would start there at least...

Staxxin
05-31-06, 08:51 PM
First thing you need to do is check for and clear the codes in the PCM if there are any... If the key was turned on with anything not connected completely it will set a "phantom" code in the PCM. Once this happens you will have the dreaded "reduced engine power". I would start there at least...

James,

How do I clear the codes?

Lindsay Cadillac
05-31-06, 08:54 PM
I don't remember off the top of my head... Can the Superchips tuner check and clear codes?? I know you can clear them with EFI Live (I think Marty has)... Or a Tech II which we have here at the shop...

Staxxin
05-31-06, 09:02 PM
I don't remember off the top of my head... Can the Superchips tuner check and clear codes?? I know you can clear them with EFI Live (I think Marty has)... Or a Tech II which we have here at the shop...

I'm not sure if it does. I did reflash the PCM with the SuperChips tune to try to fix this issue. I haven't driven the car since I've done that. I'm a little paranoid since the TAC isn't working. Any thoughts on the TAC?

Lindsay Cadillac
05-31-06, 09:09 PM
If there are codes in the PCM trying to flash it won't work... As far as the TAC goes did you check the harness going into the module?? Possibly got knocked loose while putting the headers on...

Staxxin
05-31-06, 09:17 PM
If there are codes in the PCM trying to flash it won't work... As far as the TAC goes did you check the harness going into the module?? Possibly got knocked loose while putting the headers on...

Per Heavy suggestion I checked the connections on the right side of the engine but I didn't see anything abnormal.

Where specifically is the harness and module?

Lindsay Cadillac
05-31-06, 09:28 PM
The module is on the right side of the engine compartment below the fuse box...

Staxxin
05-31-06, 09:44 PM
Okay, I took another look... I don't see anything that's not connected. I resecured everything I saw. Still no luck, the TAC just sits at zero.

Lindsay Cadillac
05-31-06, 09:56 PM
Sounds like a computer problem... I don't know what else to tell you without having the car to look at...

StealthV
05-31-06, 10:20 PM
As a preventative measure, recommend not doing any further reprogramming with the handheld tuner. Strange things sometimes happen with those after multiple flashes on top of each other. Especially if the battery voltage starts to get low which happens very quickly with a tuner attached to the OBD2 port.

My thoughts are either the tach signal wire is damaged, the DIM is bugged or they welded on your exhaust with the battery connected and toasted something (worst case scenario).

One easy thing to try is to disconnect the negative cable on your battery for a few minutes and reboot the system.

Drift-caddy
05-31-06, 10:53 PM
OK stop screwing around. You are right down the road from me, Maybe 3 exits away. Bring the car down drop it off and let me get it fixed right for you the first time.

thanks
Damian

301-943-2882

Staxxin
06-01-06, 12:09 PM
Damian,

Attached are some photos of the connectors we were just discussing... Do they appear to be connected properly?

Thanks,
John