: Forced induction prices

MStoehrer
05-26-06, 03:52 PM
So I just want to know your guy's opinion. I went to a speed shop the other day and had them price out a turbo kit and a procharger kit. They want 14k for the turbo and 11k for the procharger. Do you guy's think they are trying to rip me off, or is it a fair price? Thanks in advance for the input.

lawfive
05-26-06, 04:18 PM
Hard to say for sure, but... probably a rip. Check out http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/performance_parts/index.html?item=434 as a ProCharger comparison point.

(Apologies, Urb, if I'm not supposed to post a link like this... I can't keep track.)

obzidian
05-26-06, 04:28 PM
it seems that yeah, they are trying to rip you off. A turbo kit will be custom at this point but there is no way that it will cost you 14K. Unless they are getting turbos that are gold plated and have diamonds lipped around the inlet and outlets or the turbo.

A single turbo, you can use 6.0L manifolds or fabricate the inlets for the turbos exhuast side. THere is some fab work but not 14k of it. I have seen single turbo's on f-bodies that are under the 7k, 6k mark, even as low as 4k or lower. It can be done. THe only problem is space and we dont have any of it!!

THe procharger kit can be had for 8k with supporting parts so 11k is just too much as well.

i would look for another shop. good luck!!

heavymetals
05-26-06, 04:46 PM
If they were rip off artists they would lowball to start and then stick it to ya halfway through the job.
(like defense companies).

My $0.02 is $14k is cheap for a custom turbo setup.

You are gonna need a lot of fabrication and dyno (?) time to tune it, and that is taking for granted you don't gernade it right off the bat.:eek:

2004ctsv
05-26-06, 05:35 PM
If they were rip off artists they would lowball to start and then stick it to ya halfway through the job.
(like defense companies).

My $0.02 is $14k is cheap for a custom turbo setup.

You are gonna need a lot of fabrication and dyno (?) time to tune it, and that is taking for granted you don't gernade it right off the bat.:eek:

I agree. Custom installation isn't cheap.

If you are concerned, ask some questions at the shop. Hourly rates, man hours, guarantees, warranties, etc. How about getting the names of a few customers? Ask them; not the unknown masses on line here

T

MStoehrer
05-26-06, 06:42 PM
I have heard some good things, but from guys that have more money then they know what to do with, so cost is no problem. I attached a copy of the quotes they sent me. I'm in the N. Va area, so if any of you guys know a better shop, I'm all ears.

keeksv
05-26-06, 07:24 PM
Might want to think about doing something with the internals before either of those...right markbinkc?

urbanski
05-26-06, 07:52 PM
Hard to say for sure, but... probably a rip. Check out http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/performance_parts/index.html?item=434 as a ProCharger comparison point.

(Apologies, Urb, if I'm not supposed to post a link like this... I can't keep track.)
lol its cool man, you can post it, they cant without paying :)