: What's a good engine break in period? 1.5k miles?

Intellex
05-26-06, 12:19 PM
How does one wait that long to truely flog their car? Valium?? :mad:

cjones
05-26-06, 04:49 PM
Rings are realistically going to be seated within a few miles. I changed my oil at about 500 miles and tried to keep it below 5500rpm. I'm at 1300 miles and take it to redline. There are competiting theories. Some people believe in a longer breakin, others say flogging it early results in higher dyno numbers.

Dennisscars
05-26-06, 08:48 PM
I put B&B pipes at 500
Maggie at 1,000

I'm in the lonely first diff club...
Git on it....

kali_cts03
05-26-06, 08:56 PM
I put B&B pipes at 500
Maggie at 1,000

I'm in the lonely first diff club...
Git on it....

So maybe that was my problem as well.... :hmm: they told me to baby the damn CTS in the beginning and now I'm on my 3rd Rear Diff. assy. and they just fixed a leak on it yesterday as well, seems that my last dealership over-filled with fluid or something to that fact.... :( :kick:

Dennisscars
05-26-06, 10:16 PM
Me or Luna will take her behind the bleachers for a while for 'ya...:lildevil:

kali_cts03
05-26-06, 10:20 PM
Me or Luna will take her behind the bleachers for a while for 'ya...:lildevil:

I drove with him at the Dyno Day, but not his V.... yeah, I don't think he would (for that matter you neither) like my car that much, press and no go :rant2: .... :bouncy:

Dennisscars
05-26-06, 10:22 PM
I drove with him at the Dyno Day, but not his V.... yeah, I don't think he would (for that matter you neither) like my car that much, press and no go :rant2: .... :bouncy:

Next time.. front seat, with a helmet on :thumbsup:

If this don't give you wood, you should drive a Volvo...BW June 10th...
http://wurthwines.com/WMS/Videos/Buttonwillow_11-2003_a_quickest_lap_web.wmv

kali_cts03
05-26-06, 10:25 PM
Next time.. front seat, with a helmet on :thumbsup:

Got It!!! :highfive:

cdog533
05-29-06, 12:56 PM
500 miles or so, varying the RPMS, maybe consider 5K a good redline. After 500 miles, drive the piss out of it.

Dennisscars
05-29-06, 01:28 PM
cdog, I'm with you...

my car has never burned any oil. Some say that they burn up to a qt at the track or hard driving.

It would be interesting to see the relation between break in strategies and overall failures/oil consumption etc.

V Amazed
05-29-06, 02:59 PM
i bought my car with 72 miles on it and it already had .98 G recorded on the right, and .90 G on the left prior to my purchase. I got 9 mpg the week I bought the car if that's any indication of how long I waited to beat on it.

Ben

Slapshot
05-29-06, 05:08 PM
Check out this page:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

"The biggest factor is that engine manufacturers now use a much finer honing pattern in the cylinders than they once did. This in turn changes the break-in requirements, because as you're about to learn, the window of opportunity for achieving an exceptional ring seal is much smaller with newer engines than it was with the older "rough honed" engines."

This guys says to flog the beast as soon as you turn the key at the dealership... He claims that babying the car will not "seat" the rings properly. If you flog it from the start, it'll seat properly and you'll have more HP than the guy that baby's his ride...

What's the consensus here?

Vendetta-V-
05-29-06, 05:20 PM
My car turned 500 miles on the way to the track to flog it down the 1/4 mile for about 7 passes. Up until that point, I didn't break 75mph (except a few times to about 78 MPH for a couple of seconds while accelerating through on-ramps...lol), did not go past 5k rpm, and varied my RPMs and speeds.

V Amazed
05-29-06, 08:03 PM
porsche runs each motor for 3 minutes at redline before they ever ship their cars out. There has to be something said about this. I'm personally in the camp of "break it in the way you are going to drive it." The break in period is crucial. If you don't get on it until everything seats/forms, they wont respond as well to being pushed as if you broke them in in an agressive manner.

Ben

Vendetta-V-
05-29-06, 08:08 PM
porsche runs each motor for 3 minutes at redline before they ever ship their cars out. There has to be something said about this. I'm personally in the camp of "break it in the way you are going to drive it." The break in period is crucial. If you don't get on it until everything seats/forms, they wont respond as well to being pushed as if you broke them in in an agressive manner.

Ben

Hmm, I wonder why GM says differently in the owner's manual then.