: A/C Question 1994 STS

chevyorange
05-26-06, 12:18 PM
Greetings, it is your favorite disabled STS owner!

As some of you may or may not know, I have had a very interesting year with my 1994 STS. I chose to be (what I didn't know at the time) an incompetent to do an engine R&R for me. While the engine itself was rebuilt, works and runs very well, the car was returned to me with just about every other system DOA.

I have knocked out the broken oil level sensor, got the Traction Control/ABS system working. I have erased most all of the incompentence of the mechanic that did the R&R except for the last issue: A/C.

My A/C worked perfectly (as did everything else) before he did the engine swap. Apparently, after I took delivery, three days later the A/C ran out of charge. And as we know the Northstar shuts off the compressor to save it.

Turns out the mechanic did not replace all the bolts on the compressor where it bolts to the manifold. I refuse to return my car to his car as he's lost all trust with me so I'm having the bolts shipped out to my "normal" mechanic.

My question is, how much harm could have come to my system by being run low and then completely out of refrigerant even with the N* system's built in self protection? It appears the leak is because of this bolt/bolts that are missing and once it is put back on, the leak should go away and it should simply need a charge of R-134a.

Is there anything I could be overlooking? The A/C blows cold until the charge disappeared.

Thanks, I'm just trying to nip this in the bud before I end up so much money into the A/C system.

chevyorange

Ranger
05-26-06, 08:00 PM
I doubt you did any harm. That is why the system shuts down the compressor when it gets too low. Just tighten it up and recharge it.

chevyorange
05-26-06, 11:07 PM
Thank you - I was pretty sure that was the case - just wanted a 2nd opinion because I have a few days before the replacement bolts are in.

Have a great weekend.

Mountie
05-28-06, 11:45 PM
After putting a good /used Northstar in my '93 STS, the only glitch I noticed one day was the "Low refridgerant" warning came on, then, off. It hasn't re-appeared. It runs sort of cold, but I bet it could get colder if it was at 100%.

I wonder if it can be "topped off", or does it have to have a tranfusion to be correctly filled?

Ranger
05-29-06, 04:53 PM
Sure it can be topped off if you have a good set of guages and know how much to top it off to.

AlBundy
05-29-06, 05:52 PM
My car blows cool air and it only gets a little bit colder at highway speeds. What I'd like to know is should I wait for the car to tell me it needs freon(R-134a) or try to fix it by putting some in anyway?

Ranger
05-29-06, 06:47 PM
Unless you put a set of guages on it, you are just guessing as to how much, if any, to add.

chevyorange
06-03-06, 12:37 AM
Got the right bolt ordered, added oil and R134a and she's cold as ice. Good to go for the summer.

Thanks for everyone's help.