: Joining the club

Rick186
05-25-06, 07:49 PM
Good evening.
I've been a Moparnut most of my life, but I saw a 1995 FWB I couldn't resist, so here I am.
I think it will be dropped in my driveway some time next week if all goes well.
Got it on eBay and the inspections look good, the price was right, 91k miles on the Lt1 is not very high, so I bit.
NOW. . .
I plan to sink the remaining $$$ left over from what I expected to be hammered for, to have some fun with the car.
WHAT DO YOU GENTLEMEN RECOMMEND?
K&N Intake?
Exhaust?
Impala SS Front Brakes and Springs
ditto rear disc brakes and/or proportioning valving?

What say you, guys?

Rick186

BTW !!! The best thing in the world for your leather - the thing htat has kept my ancient (1960) Mercedes looking like new, is NEATSFOOT OIL. The samestuff you use on a baseball glove. It may be hard to find and DO NOT USE IT THE SAME DAY YOU WILL DRIVE THE CAR. Put it on the night before and wipe off the excess or you'll have a very oily butt.

brougham
05-25-06, 08:38 PM
Does the page on ebay still work so we can see your car? If you look through the posts in this part of the forum you'll find some good information about what other people did to their Fleetwoods and some pictures too. have fun!

Benzilla
05-25-06, 08:42 PM
Welcome to the club! I want pics. what color?

Rick186
05-25-06, 09:01 PM
She's very dark blue with a blue interior. Texas car, one owner (proven) and to be shipped enclosed door to door. ($$$) But I think she deserves it.
Yes it's the last land yacht, but I think those show what Cadillacs were meant to be: the "Standard of the World" that they surrendered to the bean counters about a decade or two ago in the higher floors of the GM building.
That's when I went over to the dark side and became a Moparnut. But, as you can see, I still love pure Detroit Iron. And, seeing the tire smoke off the rear tires in some of these posts does wonders for my soul !
I may notdo much of it, but that's why I hope you folks can help me out with various goodies for my new mistress.
(definition of mistress: something between a Mister and a mattress)
. . .sorry 'bout that. I still haven't settled down over my purchase.
Rick186

77CDV
05-26-06, 12:34 AM
Rick,

Welcome, and congrats on your new ride! She sounds like a real beauty.

Eldo1953
05-26-06, 02:10 AM
I think this is the one?? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ONE-OWNER-TEXAS-TRADE-GOOD-MAINTENANCE-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ4643558735QQcategoryZ6149QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem If so it looks really clean!! and good price as well!! Welcome sir!:thumbsup:

Rick186
05-26-06, 10:24 AM
That's her!
I tried to photoshop the pix from what the site had, but it was withdrawn too quickly.
I don't know how you were able to get it, but you're right. That's the car.
My first worry was that it might be a New Orleans flooder, but I was able to check it out with the ORIGINAL OWNER! (Durn fool got a Lexus) and it's not.
And thanks to the honcho's running this site, I've snooped around and know to get Impala SS front springs and stiffer front sway bars already.
This monring I put on my suit of armor and go over to New Britain, CT and do battle with CT DMV, pay my 6% sales tax and their fees, fees, and more fees, kiss butt and wait until I take it in for inspection (ten years and older and they really put you thru the mill, expecially out-of-state vehicles).
Then I wait for the title which the state website says comes in about 3 weeks.
So, to you guys who know about these beautiful gems, load me up with your knowledge.
Yours truly.
A. Sponge

Rick186

N0DIH
05-26-06, 01:55 PM
A new FOSS member?

caddycruiser
05-27-06, 09:40 AM
Great car.

Not to discredit this site at all, but here's another that you can get a LOT more information about what to do as far as custom work, especially when it comes to using certain SS bits and pieces:

http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php

And if you're doing SS springs, just thought I'd mention, you wouldn't just do fronts...you do them at all 4 corners, otherwise you're going to have a car with a strange look and feel.

Also, as far as brakes, there's nothing special about the SS brake parts, at least not enough that you'd notice on a normal driving basis. Rear discs is another thing looks nice, but is a lot of work and doesn't make much of any difference in the overall braking performance.

I would definately recommend an intake, though, as well as some stiffer/beefed up suspension bits to eliminate some of the float.

I was going to get a K&N too, then found this and changed my mind (one of the most popular ones over on the SS board):

http://www.clearimageautomotive.com/Cold%20Air%20Intake.htm

Same sort of layout as the K&N, but the piping is one complete piece that's also curved at the end and completely eliminates having to use either the stock elbow on the front of the TB or the triangular "home plate" air silencer on top--all with better flow overall.

But like I said, visit that other SS board and you'll find out EVERYTHING!

Rick186
05-27-06, 04:56 PM
Many thanks Caddy Cruiser. That's just the kind of help I'm hoping for.
This is the kind of BB I guessed it would be.
The Mopar site - Allpar dot Com - where I frequented has the same tone, very friendly and helpful, dedicated to Mopars and very, very disgusted with the takeover by Diamler.

The item about the brakes is an eye-opener to me. I had thought the disc rears were a real show-stopper (pun intended) from cruising the rest of this BB.

They were a real necessity on my wife's Dodge Stratus 5-speed after we "breathed" on the motor and I got into a tight spot only to find that the drum rears didn't match the increased go-power.

The conversion was duck soup on the Stratus and made a world of difference. That little snot is a barrel of fun making kids in their $40k BMWs look foolish on Connecticut's winding roads, or even at a red-green Grand Prix.

So thanks again for the tips.:)

Rick186

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-27-06, 05:28 PM
That is a beautifiul '95 Fleetwood Brougham! Dark Blue is the 2nd best color for that car!

Rick186
05-27-06, 09:43 PM

I know it's heresy, now, but that dark blue is not only my personal favorite color but was also the color of my 1967 Plymouth company car which I dearly loved.

It was an accidental order which came thru with the 383 4bbl and dual exhaust package! Totally unheard of for a fleet order! I didn't say a word to my boss and when they found out 2 months later it was too late to change anything.

At the time, the insurance company I worked for insured the state workers comp including the state police and I had some fun making hash of the state police training officer with his 67 mercury interceptor with that Plymouth. (I never did tell him that I put stiffer shocks under that Plymouth out-of-pocket and had the dealer's mechanics diddle with the motor as far as they dared since they saw me as another screwball Moparnut even though I was a safety engineer).

Rick186

Lord Cadillac
05-27-06, 10:47 PM
Congratulations! Post pictures when you can. :)

Rick186
05-29-06, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the helps and pointing me in the right directions, gents. However, if you have stumbled over to Allpar dot com you will see the opinions about a few members of this BB written up which I now find revealed to be true myself.

Therefore, it's better I not post rather than advise certain members to insert their cranii where the sun don't shine.

Yeah, it took me a while to tumble to FOSS.

I'm a bit slow in my old age.

scurling
05-29-06, 01:06 PM
Very nice, vehicle. Identical in color, inside and out, to my '94 FTWB. How does she drive? Just a thought, if you are thinking about the the suspension, etc. you may want to look hard at the ball joints. Not knowing how well the previous owner kept the front end greased, the ball joints (if not already replaced) may need replacing. Mine were shot at 42k when I purchased the vehicle due to lack of grease/maintenance. New joints made a 100% immprovement in tracking.

Benzilla
05-29-06, 07:09 PM
That is a beautifiul '95 Fleetwood Brougham! Dark Blue is the 2nd best color for that car!
What would your 1st be? I like white with tan guts, or black on black with a cloth top :cool2:

BCs71
05-30-06, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the helps and pointing me in the right directions, gents. However, if you have stumbled over to Allpar dot com you will see the opinions about a few members of this BB written up which I now find revealed to be true myself.

How about a link to the thread over at Allpar??? Sounds interesting...

Welcome aboard!

Destroyer
05-30-06, 04:23 PM
........dedicated to Mopars and very, very disgusted with the takeover by Diamler.

But it is Daimler that brought them to a newfound glory isn't it?:confused:

Rick186
05-30-06, 10:11 PM
Hard to say, Big D. In the past decades, Chryco has been nothing if not scrappy. But if you go to

www.allpar.com

you'll get a whole bunch of opinions. One thing for sure, it's extremely hard to tell who's supporting whom! That's due to the Byzantine financial reporting methods used in Germany. Some say that a lot of US money is propping up Daimler (!) via Chrysler and that Mercedes is actually losing a bunch.

Many designs (transmissions, etc,) have come from Daimler, but even more have been done in-house and have worked out better than the foreign ones. Missing, however, are the truly great diesels which -for some stupid reason - are not being brought over for use in the minivans and jeeps. At least not yet although promised "any day now." (Bean counters again, most likely)