: Will Fbody sway bars fit FWB?

Destroyer
05-25-06, 06:21 PM
Its been awhile but I think someone in here said the fbody sway bars would fit a FWB. Will they?. Just ordered lowering springs and KYB shocks for the Fleetwood and figured now would be the time for the sway bars as well. I can find fbody sway bars all day at the junkyard for cheap rather than buy new ones made for an Impala SS. TIA!.

N0DIH
05-25-06, 06:24 PM
YES!

But I can't seem to find one anymore!! GM is out of stock.

70-81 1.25" is a very worthy upgrade to the FWB/FW/Deville RWD 77-96

I have my Rancho Challenger GTIII that is on my 80 T/A that I have pondered putting on my 94 Fleetwood. But, it has the dreaded heim joints. AWESOME for handling, but not the best on the street, they are intended for the racetrack.

Destroyer
05-25-06, 07:18 PM
YES!

But I can't seem to find one anymore!! GM is out of stock.

70-81 1.25" is a very worthy upgrade to the FWB/FW/Deville RWD 77-96

I have my Rancho Challenger GTIII that is on my 80 T/A that I have pondered putting on my 94 Fleetwood. But, it has the dreaded heim joints. AWESOME for handling, but not the best on the street, they are intended for the racetrack.
Sweet!. Is it just the 70-81's that will fit and if so is that front and rear?. Will the 3rd gen sways fit?. No biggie, I'm sure I'll find some 2nd gen bars but would be easier from a 3rd gen since they are more abundant at the junkyard. Impala SS bars (1.25") are selling for $350 on ebay new. I figure the fbody ones will do the exact same job for less since a sway bar is not a wear item. Thanks man.

N0DIH
05-26-06, 12:58 PM
3rd gen are waaay off, I picked up one for $10 and it wasn't even close (really bent goofy and they are hollow, I hate hollow bars!). Rear? No, not even close either. The 2nd Gen F Body could be adapted, but might be bit narrow. So it may not be working well. They bolt to the underside of the leaf springs on the 2nd gen cars. We have coils, so they are pretty different.

If you have RPO FE2, you have Impala SS bars already, and those are the same as 9C1 bars too. The only GM upgrade is the 70-81 F Body bars that are 1.25", they also have a shorter lever, so they are MUCH more effective than nearly any on the market.

BCs71
05-26-06, 04:54 PM
THe 1.25" F-body sway bar is a great upgrade. Was only on the later years (like 78-81) WS6 Firebird. GM does not sell them anymore, but if you belong to 2nd gen Camaro or Firbird forums you can pick these up for about $75 shipped.

But also plan for upgraded hardware and bushings to maximize the effect, as well as theose cheapie "one-time install" bolts.
Check here:
http://www.theherd.com/articles/fcarbar.html

Also, any other bar that works for a Impala SS will work on a FW.
The FW limo bars are supposedly an upgrade as well, but I don't have details on these. But they may be available from GM still......

N0DIH
05-26-06, 04:56 PM
I spent some time with Dal and confirmed that the FE7 Limo bars are the same as the FE2 (Ride/Handling Suspension) and FE4 (Impala SS suspension) bars. Front and rear are the same.

No upgrade there unless you have an FE1 car. I don't think the FE1 to FE2/FE4/FE7 bars are worth much, they just don't have enough help to make the work on the upgrade worth it....

scurling
05-29-06, 01:31 PM
Can someone comment on how to "convert" the suspension designation, e.g., FE1, FE2, etc. into part numbers? Can dealers work with the suspension option codes, or would I need a VIN number from a vehicle made with that option? etc., etc.

Help straighten some of this out in my mind, and get me up to speed. :confused:
thanks

BCs71
05-30-06, 11:05 AM
I spent some time with Dal and confirmed that the FE7 Limo bars are the same as the FE2 (Ride/Handling Suspension) and FE4 (Impala SS suspension) bars. Front and rear are the same.

No upgrade there unless you have an FE1 car. I don't think the FE1 to FE2/FE4/FE7 bars are worth much, they just don't have enough help to make the work on the upgrade worth it....

If that is the case, then I agree! Not worth the effort....

The dealership should be able to decode the FE - suspension codes. But otherwise NODIH has them pretty straight and can probably elaborate.

I pulled my front bar off of my B4U (factory sport suspension) Caprice, which is the same as the Impala SS bar. The F-body bar made a great improvement in overall handling over the B4U goodies. Slight amount of oversteer if not careful (esp. wet weather) but then again, the rear suspension is stock still.

N0DIH
05-30-06, 11:11 AM
The variables of the actual spring rates are to numerous to count. Take a look at the SPID (Service Parts ID) in the trunk. Look for a 6 prefix code, 7, 8 and 9. Those are the springs. Mine are 6TR/7TR and 8HF and 9HF IIRC. I did find some info from NavyLifer that showed my front spring RATE is the same as the Impala SS, but mine is taller. So in theory, I could install Impala SS springs to drop mine and not change the handling characteristics of the car at all.

I didn't find anything on my HF springs, I would like to know if mine are stiffer or softer than the Impala SS. I suspect stiffer, the letter codes are closer to the 9C1 springs (again, IIRC....) than the Impala, but no details on them. A number is a number and they don't have to be in sequence....