: goodyear ruined my rims!!

ndogg ct
05-25-06, 06:49 PM
now what should i do ??i just got the new rsa's put on and i got home and my rims look like hell!!has anybody else got goodyear to get them new rims!!i am disgusted!any info appreciated!

BadCad
05-25-06, 06:52 PM
how are your rims ruined? scuffs, scrapes, dings or dents?

Parker
05-25-06, 06:53 PM
If there scratched you can have Goodyear replace them, but you should have raised all sorts of hell when you were there. Goodluck with the situation.

ndogg ct
05-25-06, 06:56 PM
well i have to go back anyway because they broke my tps sensor:alchi:
they're scuffed up bad right by where the tire seats!!

mike041357
05-25-06, 07:55 PM
Boy, do I feel sorry for you. I just went through the same thing when I had my F1 EMTs removed and GSD3s put on. The stiff sidewall puts so much pressure on the tire iron (even with a plastic cover) it gouges the wheels. It happens when the tire is removed, not when it is put on. I knew this would happen and Discount Tire assured me they knew what they were doing. And then they gouged all 4 wheels.

They sent all my wheels out for re-finishing, and while they look OK, you'll need to weigh that against the scrapes on the wheel. Good luck getting them to buy you new ones from Cadillac. Most all "OEM" wheels sold elsewhere are "re-finished". Some places, like Transwheel, are GM certified to re-finish.

You may want to check your Goodyear store as well. Some Goodyear stores are "certified" to work on run-flats. The Coats machines are worthless when removing run-flats from these wheels. Maybe some of the Bear machines are better.

If you go back to the same place, have them examine the wheel closely (while you show them) before they remove the tire. If the RSAs are EMTs and as stiff as the F1 EMT, they'll mess it up again.

I think this happens more than we like to admit. I've seen a few Vs around and I look at their wheels. Same thing.

Good luck.

TampaV
05-25-06, 10:49 PM
Check out my posts on the thread called "Goodyear Tire Warranty?" on about page 10. It was a mess, but I got the Goodyear dealer to buy me one new rim. I found out later that they damaged another of my wheels and had it refinished by Transwheel. Transwheel actually did a very good job on mine. If you make the Goodyear dealer get the wheels repaired and re-painted, see if they will send them to Transwheel. I doubt you'll get them to buy you 4 new wheels at the cost of them. My Goodyear dealer ended up buying me one from Cadillac and it cost them about $550.

Be firm but professional with Goodyear. That works better than being extremely shitty with them. Just stand your ground and tell them you brought the car in with perfect wheels and you want them to return it back with wheels in the same condition. They'll get them refinished for you and like someone else said, Transwheel is a GM certified repair facility.

Hang in there... They should take care of it. If they give you a hard time, go back to Goodyear National Customer Service and they will make sure you're taken care of.

Keep us posted.

RedGalant2k1
05-25-06, 11:49 PM
It just takes a little extra care in mounting the tires. We do runflats regularly with never an issue with damage to a wheel or tire from mounting.

ewill3rd
05-26-06, 07:14 AM
You have to have the right equipment too. Those F1s are a nightmare to get off but if you have the right machine it's a non-issue.
The real problem is the guy they had do it, not necessarily good to blame the entire shop. Wrong manager not teaching the guys how to do the tires, wrong guy who doesn't care enough to make sure that he does the job right.
Most shops give all the tires to the low man on the totem pole.... only problem is that guy usually doesn't know what he's doing.

The problem with getting shops to replace V wheels is that they cost $800 a piece! I have seen some decent refinishes by a place called Wheel Werks (I think that's right) but their curing process leaves a little to be desired.
The finish bubbled right off the set I got back.

I agree that you should have raised holy you know what before you left.
Make it a point to inspect your car when you pick it up. Do a walk around and look at any systems you know were serviced. If there is damage don't leave until it's dealt with.
Too often we get customers that call when they get home and then there is nothing we can do really.
Best of luck to you in your quest.

tedcmiller
05-26-06, 08:43 AM
Removing and replacing run-flats is very difficult because of the stiff sidewalls. As has been pointed out by other posters, many tire shops (and probably some dealers too) have neither the equipment nor the expertise to do the job properly. I only let my dealer do this work because they have demonstrated the ability to do the job without destroying the wheels or the TPMs. Everybody says they can handle run-flats, but in many cases it is simply a lie, and you will find that out the hard way. Using a competent dealer is usually more expensive, but is worth it to avoid damaged rims and other problems.

StealthV
05-26-06, 01:20 PM
One way to help determine if that new shop can handle run-flats is to see if they have the right equipment -> Hunter TC3500 tire changer (http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/tirechanger/3814T/index.htm)

ewill3rd
05-28-06, 04:40 PM
Yeah, that's the beast we have.
It's not as clean as that one, but it works.
You still have to know how to use it.

wildwhl
05-29-06, 11:52 AM
I think Rick has one of those Hunters in his garage - let's just drive there now on for tire changes (and tunes, head cam packages, headers, exhaust, etc.).

You up for it Rick :cookoo:

WW