: replacement of engine...where to go

ReagansRollsRoyce
05-25-06, 05:44 PM
My car is currently having a stalling problem fixed, but the compression was found to be low, 90 in one cylinder that they claimed should be 125.

It has 95K and has been garage kept.

As a 22 year old law student with no mechanic ability except simple stuff like adding coolant, changing the air filter, or changing the oil in a pinch, where (generally) would you advise me to go to get a new engine if the compression turns out to be a serious problem?

The Cadillac dealer?
An independent shop?

I lean towards the dealer because I'm hoping an engine from them (and their work) would carry a warranty.

Any idea/experience on this board how much a dealer might roughly charge for a 'new' 307 (that includes installation) and how long they'd probably take to put it in?

Thanks

RRR

ShadowLvr400
05-26-06, 01:50 PM
An option for simple, and beefed up engines. They do offer some warranty.
http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/lt1_lt4.html

The Ape Man
05-28-06, 05:44 PM
Is the car consuming engine oil? Does it have visable tailpipe smoke?

If not then consider another compression test at another shop.

Eldorado guy
06-05-06, 01:06 AM
This place offers a 7 year/ 100,000 mile warranty on their engines. I almost considered purchasing a 350 for my 1980 Cadillac Eldorado because I thought it had a washed cylinder, but it just had a bent intake valve in no. 1 cylinder. Although, I would rather have rebuilt the engine it had so it would be numbers matching. www.hiperformer.com :)

caddydream
06-08-06, 11:38 AM
Try some Lucas oil first. 2 quarts Less than $10. Might seal some things and improve compression.

If the engine sounds good to you, just drive it. Better than handing over $ to a dealer to make his boat payments.

N0DIH
06-20-06, 09:26 PM
GMpartsdirect.com gets $1700 for a new 307 (well, probably reman) but it IS GM.

Hard to beat that price honestly doing all things right.

Ok, on compression check, did they add oil to that cyl and check again? Was throttle WOT when they checked? Oil will point to rings (if it goes up) or heads if not.

125 is probably right, I would like to see closer to 150, but there are sooo many factors that make up cranking compression. My 301 Turbo with 7.5:1 compression ran 130 psi. But that was with a tiny cam too. My 455 with 10:1 was closer to 180 with stock "067" cam.

I think rule of thumb is 10% variance on compression before you worry about it. Anyone remember?

My car is currently having a stalling problem fixed, but the compression was found to be low, 90 in one cylinder that they claimed should be 125.

It has 95K and has been garage kept.

As a 22 year old law student with no mechanic ability except simple stuff like adding coolant, changing the air filter, or changing the oil in a pinch, where (generally) would you advise me to go to get a new engine if the compression turns out to be a serious problem?

The Cadillac dealer?
An independent shop?

I lean towards the dealer because I'm hoping an engine from them (and their work) would carry a warranty.

Any idea/experience on this board how much a dealer might roughly charge for a 'new' 307 (that includes installation) and how long they'd probably take to put it in?

Thanks

RRR