: Canadian Soldiers Attacked by Taliban Today!

Ralph
01-28-04, 12:21 AM
As you may know the Royal Canadian Regiment is very active in Afghanistan fighting terrorism. Apparently, near Kabul the Taliban claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing which killed some and injured others. Corporal Murphy from Newfoundland was a "short-timer" meaning he only had 10 days left before he could come home! The Canadian Regiment raided Druglords last week and fear this was in retaliation for that move. A sad event. One wonders where these events will take Canada, and the United States for that matter, with the battle against terrorism? We are also saddened by the loss of 6 more U.S. soldiers today.

I just felt this should be mentioned because CNN doesn't seem to mention all of the international events so close to home. Thanks.

CADDYBLACK99
01-28-04, 09:49 AM
Your right Ralph!
We are all saddened when we hear one of our own or one of our coalition partners lost! My heart and prayers go out to all soldiers and their families for their safety and their safe return home!
Paul

Stoneage_Caddy
01-28-04, 11:11 AM
whats worse is operation enduring freedom and everything else in afganland isnt mentioned ont he news anymore , everyone is obsessed witht he current body count in iraq , like korea this the afgan war going on right now is slowly becoming the forgotten war

to use a quote from the POW-MIA , You are not forgotten .

Ralph
01-29-04, 02:43 AM
True enough! Has anyone had contact with our old buddy Deadsled? Hope he is well in Iraq!

Oh ya, Welcome home 82 Airborne division. 125,000 returning, to be replaced by 110,000 troops.

HotRodSaint
01-29-04, 08:11 AM
We hate loosing Canadians from the military. For whatever reason they joined, they decideded to protect Canada and freedom with their lives and not by tackling hecklers.

Maybe we send some of your Canadian scholars, journalists, politicians and entertainers to take their place. Then the Taliban and Al Queda would be bored to death.

Ralph
01-30-04, 12:52 AM
We hate loosing Canadians from the military. For whatever reason they joined, they decideded to protect Canada and freedom with their lives and not by tackling hecklers.

Maybe we send some of your Canadian scholars, journalists, politicians and entertainers to take their place. Then the Taliban and Al Queda would be bored to death.

Don't worry, there are plenty of stupid politicians up here to scoff at and not get bored. Don't you get CPAC?? Too far south I guess.

Contrary to popular belief, we are not all "love and hugs" up here. We've dabbled in some campaigns Peace Keeping lately, Sierra Leone, Bosnia, Rwanda, etc. As the U.S. is now unfortunately finding out, keeping the peace can be much more difficult than a clear cut target to destroy. Which is why things may need to be planned a little better possibly, so lives can be saved, etc. Like I said, I don't know where the current action will take us, but I may not be that optimistic concerning the end results. But what is ironic for our "peace keepers" is the fact that Canada has declared (and presently doing it) to play a much more aggressive role in Afghanistan by doing U.S. style raids on suspected terrorists or supporters, etc. and we are sustaining many more casualities now. Approaching as many as the U.S. In fact, yesterday when they were having a service for Corporal Murphy, very close by, another suicide bomber "set one off" and interrupted the service! I think it's safe to say Canada is in this for the long haul. We also need more armoured vehicles like the Hummers, but that's another story.

beemer2k
01-31-04, 02:22 PM

This coming from the educational and political Mecca known as Tennessee :elvis2: :histeric:

RBraczyk
02-07-04, 11:46 AM
I am not for or against this war, but i thing that its stupid that we aren't gaining anything out of it except getting fu*ked out of our hard earned money and loss of american life. I want cheaper gasoline!

Stoneage_Caddy
02-09-04, 12:58 PM
"We also need more armoured vehicles like the Hummers,"

ralph , ours and your soliders need the "up armor" humvee . but do they have them ? NO!!!!! they all use the reg soft side humvee , its aromorment is more akin to a 2003 jeep tj convertible , which as we know arent even good at stopping rain let alone geniva conventions spec 7.62 rounds ...i work with sevreal veterans of the "other" services ..its bad when they have seen actual combat and i have (whom hasnt seen actual combat) to exlain what a up armor humvee is ( some of it classified) . these poor guys are put in harms way with m-16s that malfunction and humvees that provide almost no protection (some dont even have seatbelts!!!) and im havent even begun to talk about the age of the fleet (some carrying 1985 build dates)

Ralph
02-09-04, 09:18 PM
"We also need more armoured vehicles like the Hummers,"

ralph , ours and your soliders need the "up armor" humvee . but do they have them ? NO!!!!! they all use the reg soft side humvee , its aromorment is more akin to a 2003 jeep tj convertible , which as we know arent even good at stopping rain let alone geniva conventions spec 7.62 rounds ...i work with sevreal veterans of the "other" services ..its bad when they have seen actual combat and i have (whom hasnt seen actual combat) to exlain what a up armor humvee is ( some of it classified) . these poor guys are put in harms way with m-16s that malfunction and humvees that provide almost no protection (some dont even have seatbelts!!!) and im havent even begun to talk about the age of the fleet (some carrying 1985 build dates)

I know, "just enough armor" is not really enough either. Actually the U.S. Hummers would be a huge improvement from what we are using right now in Afghanistan for a light Jeep. I believe they are British built but I'm afraid I cannot remember the name right now, but they are an open-roof-type Jeep! Immediately after the Canadian attack, the Regiment was not allowed to do partols in them for a while, but now they are again! They know the risks, and they are brave for doing so. I've hunted with, and used the .308 or 7.62 NATO, and it is more than adequate for penetrating Level 2, and damaging Level 3 armored glass! I know this because after my service, I worked for a large American Armored car company and we got to fire varying armament at the Levels of glass, etc. Level 3 anything, is very thick and difficult to see out of if driving these vehicles, but also adds much weight to the vehicles. Worth the protection IMO.

1985 build dates is like brand new!! We are finally phasing out useage of our 1960 SEA KING helicopters that have probably killed and injured more Canadian soldiers than weapon fire. Also found out yesterday that Canada has more troops in Afghanistan than any other country.

Also sad to hear the U.S. casuality rate is 600 presently!!

Keep your M16, or CAR 15's. I want my FN FAL back!!! :worship: Or Tommy .45 with a drum will suffice. ;)