: Failed Inspection!!!!

DopeStar 156
05-25-06, 01:24 AM
I failed my state inspection today. My Caddy failed emissions for visable smoke. Any thoughts on how to fix this crap?

85_fleetwood
05-25-06, 01:40 AM
Move to Tennessee!!!!!

Benzilla
05-25-06, 06:55 AM
Hey, I just noticed your in Knoxville, I'm in Morristown! wow somebody else in Tennessee that actually likes caddys for something other that plowing! Any pics of that coupe?

77CDV
05-25-06, 11:21 AM
What color smoke? White? Dark? Does it have a smell (sweet, oily)? Can you see any soot on your trunk lid and quarter panel filler above the tail pipe? Need more info, please.

DopeStar 156
05-25-06, 01:44 PM
What color smoke? White? Dark? Does it have a smell (sweet, oily)? Can you see any soot on your trunk lid and quarter panel filler above the tail pipe? Need more info, please.
I've never noticed any smoke to be honest with you. I never see any colored anything coming outta the tail pipe at idle or while driving. However there is always some black soot that fires outta the tail pipe when I hit the gas. I noticed while they were doing the inspection that there was smoke coming from the back of the car. From where I was standing I couldn't see very well but it looked dark....

N0DIH
05-25-06, 01:49 PM
Fresh oil change is always a must before an inspection. Use a staight weight oil for best oil control, or a CI-4 rated synthetic. You want them rings to be sealed good.

Get some antifreeze stop leak in, like Bars Gold, which is the same as the GM pellets, just precrushed. Can't hurt to have a fresh radiator flush. That should do it. Make sure PCV system is intact and fully functional.

Drive car for at least 60 min directly prior to emissions test, this will help reduce as much crankcase moisture as possible.

Make sure you have 195 thermostat, that always helps make sure coolant is warm enough to get as much moisture out of crankcase as possible.

DopeStar 156
05-25-06, 01:54 PM
Fresh oil change is always a must before an inspection. Use a staight weight oil for best oil control, or a CI-4 rated synthetic. You want them rings to be sealed good.

Get some antifreeze stop leak in, like Bars Gold, which is the same as the GM pellets, just precrushed. Can't hurt to have a fresh radiator flush. That should do it. Make sure PCV system is intact and fully functional.

Drive car for at least 60 min directly prior to emissions test, this will help reduce as much crankcase moisture as possible.

Make sure you have 195 thermostat, that always helps make sure coolant is warm enough to get as much moisture out of crankcase as possible.
Do you think sitting did this? The car only gets driven like once a week. You think I should drive it around a lot then just go back and try again and maybe that'll clear up my pipe? What about a carb/fuel injector cleaner additive? Would that do anything?

DopeStar 156
05-25-06, 02:35 PM
A little extra info that just came to mind. That day the car did a lot of start and stop. I had made a stop at the DMV before hand to update my registration where I parked and shut it off. Then a stop at the bank where I also stopped and shut off, then I turned the car off in line and restarted right before I went in for inspection. I think I may have built up carbon right before I went in for the emissions test and that's probably what went wrong. I'm gonna drive the car around for this week then try again and see if I pass this time.

90Brougham350
05-25-06, 04:33 PM
NODIH is right on. Make sure she's good and warm before you have it tested. When was the last time you top-cleaned the engine? I'd run a can of Seafoam through the engine day before and drive it for a while.

N0DIH
05-25-06, 04:56 PM
I smogged my 91 3800 in 1995 and it passed with 0.00 % CO and 3 ppm HC at idle and 0.01% CO and 5 ppm HC at 2500 rpm. I let it sit and idle for 30 min outside of the test facility...

Use the lowest octane fuel too (that doesn't allow pinging!), it ignites easier and gives a small additional margin to help pass the test.

85_fleetwood
05-25-06, 05:49 PM
Hey, I just noticed your in Knoxville, I'm in Morristown! wow somebody else in Tennessee that actually likes caddys for something other that plowing! Any pics of that coupe?

Oh yeah.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i21/hydrophonikmusic/small.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i21/hydrophonikmusic/DSC00010.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i21/hydrophonikmusic/IMAG0002.jpg

Destroyer
05-25-06, 06:23 PM
Sweet looking coupe!:thumbsup: Wish they made the coupes throughout the production run of this body style Caddy. Oh well

brougham
05-25-06, 07:42 PM
Your coupe is almost the same colour as my Brougham D'Elegance. I can just see the coupe with all the new parts on it!!:)

Benzilla
05-25-06, 07:53 PM
Oh yeah.

:holycrap: that is nice! I never would have guessed there was anything like that in k-town. I wish we could get everybody with cars like this around here together and meet up, that would kick ass.

77CDV
05-25-06, 11:04 PM
Dope,

Getting back to your problem for a moment, sounds like carbon build-up and maybe a saturated cat 86-ed you. I had the same problem this year smogging my 77 because much as I love her, I rarely get to drive her. Do the oil change and coolant treatment as recommended, then drive around, preferrably at freeway speeds (I know how hard that will be for you, but try) for a good 30 minutes to an hour, then have her retested. Running a top-end cleaner before the oil change wouldn't hurt. After doing all this, I'd be very surprised if she didn't pass with flying colors. If she's still blowing smoke after all this, well, time to look at the rings. Good luck.

Craig

DopeStar 156
05-25-06, 11:58 PM
Dope,

Getting back to your problem for a moment, sounds like carbon build-up and maybe a saturated cat 86-ed you. I had the same problem this year smogging my 77 because much as I love her, I rarely get to drive her. Do the oil change and coolant treatment as recommended, then drive around, preferrably at freeway speeds (I know how hard that will be for you, but try) for a good 30 minutes to an hour, then have her retested. Running a top-end cleaner before the oil change wouldn't hurt. After doing all this, I'd be very surprised if she didn't pass with flying colors. If she's still blowing smoke after all this, well, time to look at the rings. Good luck.

Craig
I actually just recently had an oil change, about two weeks ago. I need to have the water pump replaced so a coolant flush, well I might as well have the pump replaced at the same time I guess. I'm cool with driving the car around to clean out the cat. I can run 89 octane at the lowest without pinging. My original intention was to just take the car out for a full day then go for inspection but I'm wondering if I should do all these extra things too......

N0DIH
05-26-06, 12:39 AM
A couple WOT blasts are often very helpful the day before to blast some carbon loose on the valves. I have never seen carbon build up in the chamber, a little on piston face is possible.

Anything helps prevent those little creveses that fuel likes to hide and cause high HC emissions.

DopeStar 156
05-26-06, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Because of the holiday weekend i think the earliest I'd be able to get to the inspection station would be Wednesday. I'll try to blast as much of that shit out as possible.

N0DIH
05-26-06, 02:45 PM
Got any dragstrips open for the weekend??

DopeStar 156
05-29-06, 10:40 AM
I also noticed the car is burning oil. I'm wondering if this is why I failed. How does one fix blue smoke from the tail pipe?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-29-06, 11:02 AM
Oh yeah.

God that is sweet! I'm really diggin the beige!

77CDV
05-29-06, 12:19 PM
I also noticed the car is burning oil. I'm wondering if this is why I failed. How does one fix blue smoke from the tail pipe?

Right in one. I'm afraid your rings are failing. Short of a ring job, there are several products at your local auto parts store that will mask the problem in the short term. The only true fix is major engine work. Sorry. :(

Craig

DopeStar 156
05-29-06, 11:48 PM
My dad says valve job. Is that the same thing?

Adam
05-30-06, 12:12 AM

did you forget about me Ben? k-town/bucktown ten-a-key baby!

N0DIH
05-30-06, 12:16 AM
Check:

1. Cold start, have someone watch tailpipe(s), do you see blue smoke? Yes: Valve Guides/Seals. No, move on.
2. Sit and idle for a while, does it blue smoke when you step on it? Yes: Valve Guides/Seals. No, move on....
3. When you do a long decel down a hill or maybe a 3rd or 2nd gear decel from 60 mph to around 30 and then you nail the gas, does it smoke? Yes: Valve Guides/Seals. No, Move on....
4. When you step on it while cruising, does it blue smoke? Yes? Rings. Does it have a lot of blow by in the crankcase? Yes? IS PCV working? This will force oil to pass by rings and cause smoking. PCV working well is cruicial. This is one emissions device that MAKES HP. You might crutch it with a second valve installed to help draw down more vacuum in the crankcase. SD455 T/A's had a lot of problems with crank case breathing.

Ensure the breather filter is good, the oil dipstick is in place (GM calls this the indicator, oil... Just try to look up the P/N on one! I had to order one, they are getting scarce from the dealer guys!!!) And PCV is correct one! Olds 307's have 2 different ones. If one doesn't work well, try the other, it is the same as older Olds V8's. The ECM is calibrated for it, so you may or may not want to mess with it, but get the right one.

BluEyes
05-30-06, 05:57 AM
A bad intake manifold gasket can also cause blue smoke under high vacuum conditions (like #3) if there is a leak on the underside of the intake in the lifter valley. It's a lot less common than the valve seals though.

brougham
05-30-06, 10:58 AM
I thought that you said a long time ago that it was burning oil and that you always had to add some? Did you get those carberator and choke problems fixed? That will definately make smoke problems too.

N0DIH
05-30-06, 11:16 AM
Not that Olds ever had an issue with an intake gasket leaking.... :)

Good point on intake gasket. With that age too, seals on the valve stems are likely pretty brittle, they are easy to change (well, I thought so!), but not your average repair....

Make sure that PCV is working perfect and you have the right one. Heck, if you are desperate? Get an electric AIR pump off of an LT1 (the Impala guys pitch them) and hook it up as a crankcase vacuum pump and suck that thing down. That will help seal rings.

A bad intake manifold gasket can also cause blue smoke under high vacuum conditions (like #3) if there is a leak on the underside of the intake in the lifter valley. It's a lot less common than the valve seals though.

DopeStar 156
06-01-06, 10:24 AM
I tried again and failed for the exact same thing. I called up my shop and they think it's a simple carb adjustment. The car is running cleaner than it was, I no longer have tailpipe soot on start up since I've been using the car to get around for the past 4 days straight and each day had a 100 mile highway trip. The problem is the car is burning oil (blue smoke) when you step on the gas. My shop seems to think it's running rich and might need a carb adjustment. This would explain my annoying stalling issues too if that's the case. I'll have to bring the car in and let them take a look at it. The shop also does inspections so I'll just have them get me a new sticker. Call this wishful thinking hoping it's just a carb adjustment and not an expensive ass valve job...

Destroyer
06-01-06, 11:16 AM
Blue smoke is oil and has nothing to do with the carb. :eek:

DopeStar 156
06-01-06, 12:26 PM
I think they were getting at the carb making the engine run rich, was causing the engine to burn oil. I dunno though, like I said, wishful thinking....

N0DIH
06-01-06, 01:17 PM
Honestly, they shouldn't be messing with the carb idle fuel mix adjustments. It is rare they ever need adjusting. Oil burning doesn't have anything to do with idle fuel adj.

DopeStar 156
06-01-06, 11:58 PM
Ok, I misheard them on the phone... They said a rich running carb will cause the engine to smoke outta the tailpipe. Burning oil is pretty much a valve job. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! What am I to do? I can't afford that shit! DAMMIT! I feel the state should pay for it. I'm perfectly content with oil in my combustion chamber, they're the ones with a maggot up their asses about it.....

Destroyer
06-02-06, 08:05 AM
Ok, I misheard them on the phone... They said a rich running carb will cause the engine to smoke outta the tailpipe. Burning oil is pretty much a valve job. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! What am I to do? I can't afford that shit! DAMMIT! I feel the state should pay for it. I'm perfectly content with oil in my combustion chamber, they're the ones with a maggot up their asses about it.....
You can pack up and move to Florida, no state inspections. :thumbsup: