: Average Miles Per Gallon - DIC

nxlr8
05-25-06, 12:01 AM
This question is two-fold... I tried to search, but I didn't find what I was looking for....

The DIC Average MPG calculation... what is it based on? Is it a running average from the last time it was reset? Or is it a running average of the last 50 miles? (just picked a number there...)

Also... part two...

What kind of MPG should I be expecting from a stock V?
If everyone could post their "best" and "worst", that would rock!

NoSlackCadillac
05-25-06, 12:14 AM
Not sure how it is calculated, but my average is 22.8

StealthV
05-25-06, 12:54 AM
The Average MPG is calculated using all the fuel burned and miles traveled since the last reset. One can reset the MPG with one of the keys to the right of the Nav screen. Typically I reset mine at every time the tank is topped off.

Worst = single digits
Best = high 20s
Mean urban cycle = 14 (me driving) 20 (wife)

sotxmike
05-25-06, 01:17 AM
The best I've done is 23 mpg @ 78 mph average. That was a long trip. As long as I keep my foot out of it these numbers are achievable...but we know how hard that is :lildevil:

LV_V
05-25-06, 01:27 AM
I got 24.8mpg from Tucson to Vegas last night. Not bad at all for the HP.

50 4Ever
05-25-06, 02:02 AM
I can't say how it is calculated in a CTS-V, but in my Corvette I took a coast to coast trip (7000 miles) and never reset it. I can say for certain that it was not calculated from the last time it was reset because toward the end of the trip I did some spirited driving and the average went down by over 2 MPG, which is impossible.

ctsvett
05-25-06, 02:08 AM
I get 16ish...So, does that put me somewhere between you and your wife stealth?

couldnt resist...

Reed

rand49er
05-25-06, 05:45 AM
Used to get 26+ at 70 MPH cruise up to Mackinaw City, then I got the headers ... now 24.

Overall driving is 21.5 - 22.5 tank after tank of 93. That's a lot better than my wife's 6 cyl, 24 valve SUV and there wasn't a stupid guzzler tax on that!:rant2:

ajedwardsjr
05-25-06, 06:09 AM
I have never reset my average mileage, so I have a cumulative average since when it was a little baby V - 17.4. (That includes some serious test driving while it still belonged to the dealer - when I picked it up it was around 12 or so.) Since I am now at about 6,000 miles, a little spirited driving here and there does not bring that number down, but some sustained freeway driving at moderate speeds does bring that up. Best I've been able to do on a tankful is 22.8. It's so hard to keep my foot out of that pedal on the right.

stkshkr
05-25-06, 09:00 AM
Interesting, I just returned from a trip to Buffalo, NY about 900 miles round trip and average was 22.4 MPG with the Maggie & mods

rand49er
05-25-06, 09:15 AM
Interesting, I just returned from a trip to Buffalo, NY about 900 miles round trip and average was 22.4 MPG with the Maggie & modsIs that MPG at a, say, 70 MPH cruise?

None-the-less, not bad ... not bad!

Kadonny
05-25-06, 10:48 AM
Before my engine swap, I was getting 11.8 average. Freaking horrible, and I really don't drive it THAT hard.

Must have been running inefficiently.

P-Funk
05-25-06, 11:38 AM
I average between 14 and 16 mpg, mostly city.

blown65
05-25-06, 11:52 AM
13-15 here. 90% city

ewill3rd
05-25-06, 11:55 AM
Average Fuel Economy (AFE)
Average fuel economy is calculated using the equation: AFE = Distance/Fuel

• Distance = The accumulated distance travelled since the last reset of this value

• Fuel = The accumulated fuel consumption since the last reset of this value

The instrument panel cluster (IPC) receives a class 2 message from the engine control module (ECM) regarding fuel usage information. The value of this mode is retained during ignition OFF and can be changed between English units and metric units by pressing the ENG/MET button on the DIC switch. Press and hold the Reset button on the radio switch for one second in order to reset the AFE display.

Can't speak to the mpg you'd expect.

trekster
05-25-06, 01:01 PM
11.8 mpg I have a heavy foot but I don't know if I have it that heavy.

50 4Ever
05-25-06, 01:04 PM
13-15 here. 90% city

Same here but I'm closer to the 13 end. 22 on the highway to LA and back to Sacramento.

:thumbsup:

arr0gant
05-25-06, 01:15 PM
I'm all city. When I really try to get good mileage, I get between 12 and 13.5. Thats letting the car shift into forth and NEVER going over 2000RPM's. During normal driving getting on it every 4 or 5 miles, I get around 9-10mpg. This car freaking SUX gas. How can they say it gets 16city? wtf, someone explain.

Mat347
05-25-06, 01:27 PM
This car freaking SUX gas. How can they say it gets 16city? wtf, someone explain.

The numbers are from the EPA who have their own testing facility and test every car the same. However, their testing procedure was created in the 70s and is NOT how people drive today. They are undergoing a change though..all of these hybrid owners are about to get a shock as it will effect their numbers the greatest.. :shocked2:

They test with a VERY light foot, in 75 degree/low humidity weather..WITHOUT A/C(obviously NOT from Texas!). Their highway speed is 60, I'm not sure about the city speed.

But I average around 17.5 with a moderate foot...low 20s with a pansy foot..about 85% highway. How fast you drive changes this quite a bit, I'm sure I can get mid to high 20s if I went 60, but everyone here drives at least 70.

StealthV
05-25-06, 01:27 PM
At the end of the day, does it really matter whether it's $30 or $40 to top off the tank? As long as gasoline costs less than gallon of water or milk, I'm not going to get excited.

There's only so much oil left in the world. Burn your fair share before it gets wasted by someone else driving some silly anemic "economincal" car who doesn't even enjoy it.

:thumbsup:

P-Funk
05-25-06, 03:31 PM
None of the cars will get as good mileage as they claim. Like Mat said, the hybrid owners will see the biggest difference between claimed and actual. The two articles attached talk about it. And like Stealth said, at least we can enjoy driving our cars, unlike those in their tiny hybrids.

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4023628

http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?contentid=4023458

V-Smooth
05-25-06, 03:33 PM
Daily driver here with just over 2500 miles...average MPG 14.2 and that's almost all aggressive city driving. I have about a 3-5 mile commute to work.

OldRoadDawg
05-25-06, 05:09 PM
Well my V is a Hybrid. When I switch over to the 'burning rubber mode' I get about 7 mpg. But a little while back when I left for the airport at 0'dark thirty and set the cruise at 100mph for about 10 miles . . . I checked the MPG average and it was 20 mpg in 6th.

nxlr8
05-25-06, 05:21 PM
Well... I just got my V... first tank of fuel was about 17.5 mpg.... I'm babying this tank (which is VERY VERY difficult...)

I find it hard (if not impossible) to believe that the DIC average is calculated from the last reset... think about it... if you have 21,000 miles on your car, and NEVER reset that AVG MPG... it would take a MASSIVE change in driving habits to change it even .01 MPG... there's just no way.... It has to have some rolling figure, the most current 50 Miles would make sense... older than that would just drop off...

Interesting thought though....

I think I will simply reset the AVG MPG, AVG MPH, and Trip A at each fill up...

stkshkr
05-25-06, 06:07 PM
Is that MPG at a, say, 70 MPH cruise?

None-the-less, not bad ... not bad!

75MPH cruise

StealthV
05-25-06, 06:20 PM
In one of my other vehicles, there are two trip MPG meters. For one, I reset it at every tank. The other I've left alone so it is showing the mean MPG since day one. It does take a lot of a different driving mode to get it to change. Last I checked, lifetime on that one was 13.9 MPG and is typically in the 15s on weekly fillups.

Don't ever reset the V and it'll use all the fuel and miles no matter how many you go. Forget the "last 50" idea...

BeagleBrains
05-25-06, 06:28 PM
The on-board calculation is a very inaccurate. It calculates using all instantaneous (such as coasting down hills) inputs.
Fill gas tank; write down milage on odometer. Drive, Refill; write down milage. This correctly "calculates" milage.
Our experience is average real milage of 15+ mpg with in-the-city driving. Poorest tank-to-tank refill milage is 11.4 with my wife's lead foot (wheel hop and all).
Best (repeated on a few long trips) is 26+ mpg. Not as good as our Corvette which is 600 pounds lighter with a higher rear differential 3:15 'performance' gear ratio.

BadCad
05-25-06, 06:45 PM
low 15 - 16 mpg highway and streets combined, highway only i'll get 20 or so if i am conscientious about fuel use. but with each mod my mileage seems to go down... could be i am driving it harder then?

1fstkde
05-25-06, 08:16 PM
i dont get it?? my low in the city is horrible...9 to 10 miles a gallon..the only thing i have is corsa and air intake...i think i maybe need a tune??? highway is good, 22 average...

Robby2006
05-25-06, 09:38 PM
The on-board calculation is a very inaccurate. It calculates using all instantaneous (such as coasting down hills) inputs.
Fill gas tank; write down milage on odometer. Drive, Refill; write down milage. This correctly "calculates" milage.
Our experience is average real milage of 15+ mpg with in-the-city driving. Poorest tank-to-tank refill milage is 11.4 with my wife's lead foot (wheel hop and all).
Best (repeated on a few long trips) is 26+ mpg. Not as good as our Corvette which is 600 pounds lighter with a higher rear differential 3:15 'performance' gear ratio.

The on-board calculation is very inaccurate????????
Doing it your way does take account of coasting down the hill. Whats the difference if you do it on paper or by what the screen claims. Your still coasting down a hill. Do you write on paper the mileage reading when heading down a hill???:confused: :hmm: and then recalculate??

arr0gant
05-25-06, 10:04 PM
Daily driver here with just over 2500 miles...average MPG 14.2 and that's almost all aggressive city driving. I have about a 3-5 mile commute to work.

I don't believe you!

Koooop
05-26-06, 12:31 AM
11.5 around town

21 hwy, that would be a fill up, immediately get on the Fwy, run 300 miles (fill up) continue, run 300 more miles. That included a 140+MPH blast with a C6 through Quartsite.

OINK

BeagleBrains
05-26-06, 04:27 PM
The on-board calculation is very inaccurate????????
Doing it your way does take account of coasting down the hill. Whats the difference if you do it on paper or by what the screen claims. Your still coasting down a hill. Do you write on paper the mileage reading when heading down a hill???:confused: :hmm: and then recalculate??
By Golly! Yup, I do coast down hill. Thanks.

Robby2006
05-26-06, 06:00 PM
Your the one that made the comment that the onboard computer wasnt as good as writing the mileage and gas down on paper.

And when you gave a brilliant example, well....:thepan:
It's the same thing as the computer calculates.

Thats the point smart guy:alchi: