: So I Put My Sled On The Dyno Today..

HITMONEY
05-24-06, 04:04 PM
It wasn't a really good dyno weather day, but what the hell... I was bored and I found a shop close to my house with a Dynojet Dyno.

The temp and humidity today did not make for a perfect dyno day and they told me that as they spent a half an hour trying to get a good tach hook up to the dyno. They don't get many N* there I imagine. I think they were trying to talk me out of it. LOL

Anyway, mods to my N* are a Volant air box and Corsa exhaust.

Max HP at the wheels was on the first run, 233.88
Max TQ at the wheels was also on the first run, 232.34

I wasn't real happy with these numbers, but the people at the shop and some from surrounding shops all came to see the "DeVille" on the Dyno.
They all were astonished at how it sounded. One guy said he has heard modded Corvettes on the Dyno that didn't sound half that good. :)

They also told me they were respectable numbers, and that for a "DeVille" they were outstanding. They said it would probably pull 10%-15% better on a cooler less humid day.

I was really hoping to get near 300 at the wheels... but that looks out of reach for now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/hitmoney/Caddy/scan0001.jpg

danbuc
05-24-06, 04:29 PM
You'll never see "near 300hp" at the wheels in these car's unless you making near 400hp or more at the crank. Those numbers are TOO bad. From what your probably making at the crcank, it equates to abotu a 25-26% drivetrain loss which is pretty much what I'd expect from the 4T80E. These engines really hate humidity and warmer weather. Your number would have been better had the conditions been more favorable. Still....not to bad.

HITMONEY
05-24-06, 05:01 PM
Unfortunately, since I live in Florida, the weather isn't going to get any better for about 6-7 months. :(

Yeah, I guess I am dreaming about 300whp unless I give my car and 12k to STSMark which is very tempting.

caddydaddy
05-24-06, 05:48 PM
Hot Rod did a dyno test of a stock 300 HP mid-90's Eldorado a few years ago, and it put out around 216 HP or so. So your car is doing pretty dang well then! But Danbuc is right, the transmission sucks up a LOT of power!

HITMONEY
05-24-06, 06:31 PM
Here is a video of the first run using my cell phone. It was after this run that people started coming in saying.. "What the hell was that??"

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v114/hitmoney/?action=view&current=Movie.flv

EDIT: I wonder why the sound didn't upload..... huh I'll try again.
EDIT2: Ok, I have to convert the video to avi or mpeg. Be a couple of minutes to do that and upload.

caddydaddy
05-24-06, 07:08 PM
LOL, yeah the Corsa does that! I also get a lot of people commenting on how awesome my STS sounds! My neighbor is very envious!

HITMONEY
05-24-06, 07:16 PM
Ok, try it again....

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v114/hitmoney/?action=view&current=Movie.flv

caddydaddy
05-24-06, 07:23 PM
I thought my computer was the reason the sound didn't work! Sounds much better now!

cart69
05-24-06, 09:06 PM
numbers are bad, sounds great i really need to buy a system for mt sts!!!

auroradude
05-24-06, 09:10 PM
Great sound, and that thing still pulls way harder than mine. I would get about 190-195 hp to the wheels. Now THAT is unimpressive. This transmission really SUCKS. Who cares about how smooth it is. It should be tuned to dial up shifts really fast and crank the pressure up more.

chazglenn3
05-25-06, 10:13 PM
Man...the fuel cut at 126 was a bummer...darn "H" rated tires! Excellent sounding system!

Charles

HITMONEY
05-25-06, 11:27 PM
Man...the fuel cut at 126 was a bummer...darn "H" rated tires! Excellent sounding system!

Charles

Eh, it really cuts at 128, the tech let off at 126.

gary88
05-25-06, 11:28 PM
That Corsa is music to my ears :thumbsup:

davesdeville
05-29-06, 04:21 AM
Dyno numbers are almost always corrected anyway, weather will not make a difference. 230 is a good number from a mildly modded northstar. With a 100 shot you could see 300 at the wheels. That would be a hell of a DTS...

eldorado1
05-29-06, 09:06 PM
what was the temp/humidity at? I think the 80e losses are around 23% or so. My intake/throttlebody/exhaust net me probably close to 30hp, total of 330 at the crank, which corresponds to about 254 at the wheels, which is about what I dyno'd. Also, are those your true AFRs?

HITMONEY
05-30-06, 08:48 PM
what was the temp/humidity at? I think the 80e losses are around 23% or so. My intake/throttlebody/exhaust net me probably close to 30hp, total of 330 at the crank, which corresponds to about 254 at the wheels, which is about what I dyno'd. Also, are those your true AFRs?

Outside temp was about 85, Humidity was high.. probably 70%. Ambient temp in the garage had to have been a full 10 degress hotter. They did have a big fan in front of my car, but it was still very hot.

Yes, they are the AFR. They are kinda weird, but I figured they they might not have let the car run long enough before doing the pulls. They just started it and immediately went into the run. Another thing I remember... he asked if i had traction control then asked how to turn it off. I reached in and turned it off on the first pull, but I don't know if he pushed the button on the last two pulls as the car was turned off inbetween and defaults back to the on position after restart.

<shrugs>

I am going to do it again at a different shop. I knew when it took these guys almost 45 mins to get a tach signal that I wasn't dealing with people who knew much or anything about N*'s. (plus they broke my radiator hose clip) The tach signal still looked goofy at idle jumping around but seemed to smooth out on the screen when the pull was started. It may have been their equipment.

eldorado1
05-31-06, 07:32 AM
do you have cats? where did they put the wideband? On the tailpipe? Those readings can't be right... Traction control shouldn't make any difference. You should be starting the runs from about 35mph in 2nd. Breaking loose won't be a problem, especially since you'll be strapped down.

HITMONEY
05-31-06, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I have stock cat. And 35 is about where they started the pull. You can tell from the video. Yes, the sniffer was put in the driver side tail pipe.

eldorado1
05-31-06, 12:02 PM
okay, that explains it then. You can't get an accurate o2 reading after a cat.

96Fleetwood
05-31-06, 03:26 PM
Great sounding DTS! Almost as mean sounding as my LT1 Fleetwood with the Borla :thumbsup: I have my dyno date on June 17th, can't wait!

HITMONEY
05-31-06, 03:37 PM
okay, that explains it then. You can't get an accurate o2 reading after a cat.

But how else would you get it?

eldorado1
05-31-06, 03:52 PM
You should be able to put one in your front manifold o2 sensor bung. Your car won't like the original being unplugged, but it's just temporary.

HITMONEY
05-31-06, 05:23 PM
You should be able to put one in your front manifold o2 sensor bung. Your car won't like the original being unplugged, but it's just temporary.

I don't think thats very possible, valve cover come right up too front of engine bay. You can't even see the manifold.

GreenMachine
06-02-06, 10:20 AM
Gotta love that sound, its unique for sure.

Anyone know of a good site where I can find out locations of Dyno's near me?

HITMONEY
06-02-06, 01:48 PM
Gotta love that sound, its unique for sure.

Anyone know of a good site where I can find out locations of Dyno's near me?

http://www.dynojet.com/dyno_centers/automotive/index.php

:thumbsup:

GreenMachine
06-02-06, 04:59 PM
^ thanks, 2 locations and I think I drive by one all the time :) Go figure. Maybe if I find I have some extra cash around I'll run my car on the dyno, but for 150 bucks.... knowing I can spin the tires is good enough for now.

Jamler
06-05-06, 10:12 AM

Charles

Dealer's could modify that for you no? They have the computer to make it like
the V-Rated STS... I think 150mph is top end???

danbuc
06-05-06, 10:54 AM
It's Z (or W in some cases) and no the dealer will in most cases (i.e. 99.999999%) refuse to modify the PCM and remove the governor as it is a liabilty on their part. If anything should happen to the car (like say, you crashed it going 150+mph) they could be held accountable for it, which they don't want. If you know someone, who know's someone, who went to school with a guy who's friend is a tech at a caddy dealer, you might...and I stress might be able to get away with having it done. It's not cheap though, to have the dealer reprogram your PCM either.

newetc
06-07-06, 10:53 AM
Sounds pretty sick.... sorry you did not achieve the #'s you wanted..