: Driver Position

drivered
05-24-06, 12:31 PM
I have had my 05 for 15 months and 10,000 miles and I am starting to think about getting rid of it. I am having a big problem finding a good position form my left hand on the wheel. I know this sounds really stupid, but I cannot get comfortable. I am about 5'10 with what I would say are average length arms and I feel like I can only comfortably grab the wheel at about 7 O'clock with my knuckles down/thumb up. I am too far away to grab at 10 o'clock thanks to the angle of the steering wheel and if I lower the wheel to get the top closer it is hitting my leg. I don't feel it is comfortable to grab it at 9 since the damn arm rest is way too low and the window ledge is to high and narrow so I am holding my arm in the air. The problem I am finding about holding the bottom of the wheel is my had (palm on thumb side) starts aching from turning right and bringing the wheel over and using my thumb to turn the wheel.

I always read the magazines rip car manufactures (usually GM) for not having a telescoping column and I never thought much of it because it had never been a problem, but now I have to agree with them.

I bought a jeep wrangler for the winter and find myself driving that more than the Caddy now because it is more comfortable. I cannot believe a 1997 Jeep Wrangler is more comfortable to drive than a $50000 Cadillac. (Cadillac are you reading this? Put in a telescoping wheel!)

Anyone have issues with this or driving position in general? I took my first step and went to a chevy dealer to look at a C6 yesterday. I just cannot bear to see the drop in value in just over a year, especially on a trade.

GOTTSPD
05-24-06, 12:34 PM
That's interesting to hear you say this about the driving position. I have noticed the same thing. We should be driving with hands at 9 and 3, but I don't always do so and when I don't, I find that my left hand is uncomfortable. That being said, I'm not giving up the car and would never consider doing so, but I hear ya.

drivered
05-24-06, 12:41 PM
Funny you talk about 9 and 3. I am a driver ed teacher and that is exactly what we tell them. But most people drive an automatic so they can but we all know we have that extra handrest knob, I mean shifter. I really can't see myself getting rid of it. But like many of you I get kind of board of one car after a while. Usually its 2 years, but this steering wheel is getting to me. I really don't know what I would get if I did get rid of it (its got to be American Made). Love the C6 but don't really know if I want a 2 seater. I think maybe a JGC Srt-8. We have an 05 with the hemi, it might be time to take it to the next level.:thumbsup:

Jon
05-24-06, 01:00 PM
I'm 5'10 and don't have that problem. Left hand at the 7 o clock position or left hand at 12 o clock. Very comfortable for me.

NIK
05-24-06, 01:05 PM
Oh, brother - I think I've heard it all now! I know we all have our own little quirks, but to consider getting rid of the car because you have difficulty grasping the wheel at 9 o'clock? You may teach grasping the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock, but I'd venture to say that most people don't. I myself grasp the wheel at 7 and 2 when I'm on straight stretches - when I'm shifting my left hand is between 7 and 8. But that's just me feeling comfortable at those locations (and, by the way, I also am about 5'10".)

Oh, well - to each his own. But to consider a SRT-8 because you can't reach the wheel at 9 o'clock ...... I'm just speechless. Please don't take my comments personally, I just find it unbelievable to think one would dump this great car because it didn't have a telescoping wheel.

1fstkde
05-24-06, 01:08 PM
hand position on a sports car??? forget about a c6 ..should look into a deville for that..

drivered
05-24-06, 01:19 PM
hand position on a sports car??? forget about a c6 ..should look into a deville for that..

What do you use, your knees?

Guys, don't get me wrong I love this car. I have had it for a lot longer than a lot of people and never made one complaint about it. I posted to see what other people do if they had that problem, not to complain and say bad things about the car. I guess you didn't understand, I said I get board with a car after a bit and did not know what to get and the hurting hand started to speed up the process.

nikon
05-24-06, 06:37 PM
eh, well what about pushing your seat forward?? I drive much farther forward in a stick then I do in an auto, oh I'm 6'4" push the seat forward and raise the wheel, it's all I can do, but im comfortable...I do agree with the window sill though, on most cars thats where my elbow is, but it hurts on this car with the sharp edge :( oh well...lifes a bitch.

BadCad
05-24-06, 07:03 PM
Funny this was posted - I too find the steering situation to be somewhat awkward but thought it was just me being somehow gangly in this car, LOL. Doesn't bother me in the least and it reminds me to drive with both hands on the wheel (except when I have female company.) Then I find no issues at all with what to do with my hands.....:tisk:

rand49er
05-24-06, 07:37 PM
5'10", 178 lbs, VERY average (Normal!) arm/leg lengths, left hand at about quarter to 10, right hand on gear shift or at about 2 fifteen ... all is well.

50 4Ever
05-24-06, 07:58 PM
I have no problem with the steering wheel. I always drive with my hands at 9 & 3, and when going around a sharp corner will turn the wheel until my hand position is E & 6 (9 & 3 upside down) then if I have to turn further I will use hand-over-hand. My seat is all the way down with the front all the way up to support my legs, and the seat moved forward until my knees are two fingers from the dash. The steering wheel is as far down as possible so I can still clear my lap when I'm turning the wheel from 9 & 3 to E & 6.

The only complaint I could possibly think of is the car could use a telescoping steering wheel, the wheel is a little too close.

I have used this seat and hand position for over three years, on the road as well as the track.

:thumbsup:

livingthedream
05-24-06, 08:14 PM
I am a bit shorter, 5'8" and dont think about hand position on the wheel, just want a good grip to have control over the horses.

If you bored with this car, your not driving it very hard, pushing to feel its limits, mods to juice it up and make it stick, nope, cant think of how I could get bored with this automobile.

Thought about it again, I smile just looking at the car after 20 months, nope, nothing boring about this ride....and I think I will take a few years to study some more... then maybe blow it up, get a new crate and do it again!

Livingthedream
turn the key and smile:bouncy:

Dennisscars
05-24-06, 09:03 PM
10 and 2 and sometimes 9 and 3 not so great.. when the airbag goes off it'll break your left wrist on the b piller and biatch slap the passenger...

try moving the seat until your wrists breaks over the top of the steering wheel, then left hand 8ish right hand on shifter (if maggied revs come so quick no time to steer with RH) the old way of arms straight out, very bad

mostoyzwinz
05-24-06, 09:04 PM
If you bored with this car, your not driving it very hard, pushing to feel its limits, mods to juice it up and make it stick, nope, cant think of how I could get bored with this automobile.
Livingthedream
turn the key and smile:bouncy:

:yeah: Driving it hard you won't think about the hands thing.

For me, left hand is OK with my elbow on the arm rest. Right elbow has insufficnet/awkward support...that's why I'm looking at the std CTS armrest mod.
I FULLY agree a telescoping wheel is the ticket.:thumbsup: I like to ride with the seat all the way back (long legs I guess) but like the wheel up close.

ajedwardsjr
05-25-06, 05:14 AM
I have trouble with both the 9 and 3 and the 10 and 2 positions, so I usuallly aim for 9:48 and 2:12. Although, sometimes if I am not paying close attention I find myself dropping down to 9:39 and 2:21. Usually I catch myself and correct that immediately. (Hope I don't get a ticket!)

rand49er
05-25-06, 06:03 AM
I have trouble with both the 9 and 3 and the 10 and 2 positions, so I usuallly aim for 9:48 and 2:12. Although, sometimes if I am not paying close attention I find myself dropping down to 9:39 and 2:21. Usually I catch myself and correct that immediately. (Hope I don't get a ticket!):histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

I love it!!!

SwampFox
05-25-06, 07:53 AM
Talk about entertainment value!!
My Grand Prix was very comfortable and had a great stereo I had installed, but..... by 3:00 in the afternoon I am itching to get into the V. At breakfast too. Haven't had that sensation in any other car since my 66 street hemi.

Chef
05-25-06, 11:04 AM
I'm 6-6'1 and have been told by the instructors at Bondurant 10 and 2 is the preferred set up. I have my seat lowered to the lowest setting and the back of the seat at a slight angle from the tee. My seat is also set as far back as it can go so there's more of a heel toe action going on.

Depending on the driving activity at the time is usually where your hands will follow.

I'm not comfortable sitting too far up with a bent ankle set up.

Chef

MadMike
05-25-06, 03:23 PM
Mebbe all you damn midgets should get a toy car so you can fit. All of us normal size people(i'm 6'4"LOL) can reach the wheel just fine. Hell...I wish the seat went back further! My damn arms are soooo long......(how long are they?) I can even hit 5th without leaning forward!! I dont use the hand over hand thing, I have learned to shuffle my hands back and forth so you don't get your arms tangled up(this is a problem with orangutang arms like mine)