: Northstar needs engine protectors ?

Cadillacboy
01-27-04, 05:54 PM
There is a certain issue which keeps running through my mind .I would like to get your opinions and if you already talk about this please excuse me .Is it worht using some engine protectors or such stuffs such as restore ,power-up ,motor - up,motor silk otherwise these are just rip off ?
Northstar is the best engine imho and if this is the case do we still need to use them ?
Thanks

Aurora By Olds
01-27-04, 10:07 PM
I would say no. Save your money.The Northstar is basically bulletproof. If you were to do a teardown at 100k miles, you would be amazed at how good all of the components look. When I looked at mine, my cams had virtually no wear, distinct crosshatches in the cylinder walls, etc.
My advice:
Change the oil, and more often than not.
Maintain the cooling system...its cheaper than headgaskets.
And open it up often, its fun, and it does the engine good.

Geno Castellano
01-28-04, 03:19 PM
There is a certain issue which keeps running through my mind .I would like to get your opinions and if you already talk about this please excuse me .Is it worht using some engine protectors or such stuffs such as restore ,power-up ,motor - up,motor silk otherwise these are just rip off ?
Northstar is the best engine imho and if this is the case do we still need to use them ?
Thanks

I can't explain how much the aftermarket oil additives are a waste of money. There are only a few "additives" that actually do anything constructive. One is the GM product called EOS-Engine Oil Supplement. The EOS is designed to be an assembly lube and breakin supplement to fortify the oil with extra anti-wear additives (called ZDP) to protect the parts as they break in. During breakin there is metal to metal contact on a micorscopic level as the machined surfaces "mate" to each other and any irregularities in the surface are burnished over. The ZDP prevents microscopic welding at this contact and prevents wear. ALL engine oil has some ZDP in it - that is the anti-wear additive used in engine oil. The EOS just has a lot more of the ZDP than normal engine oil.

The other additive that's practical is the gas line antifreeze such as Iso-Heet or something like that. That is isopropal alcohol and when added to the gas in the tank, it'll prevent any moisture from freezing, will allow the moisture to be pulled through the water separator at the pickup and it wont harm the fuel system or the fuel pump or injectors.

Other than that, most of the stuff isn't doing anything for you. Save your money. :yup:

Cadillacboy
01-28-04, 05:06 PM
Thank you for your feedbacks :)
Oh yes every 3000 miles I change oil and use same brand ,Pennzoil 10W 30 .I also chech the coolant ,Northstar can take up to 100.000 miles without coolant ,but I always check cooling system
By the way, my STS is at 115 K miles and runs great no any problem as yet anyway maintenance is necessary
Thanks again :)

Geno Castellano
01-28-04, 09:38 PM
Thank you for your feedbacks :)
Oh yes every 3000 miles I change oil and use same brand ,Pennzoil 10W 30 .I also chech the coolant ,Northstar can take up to 100.000 miles without coolant ,but I always check cooling system
By the way, my STS is at 115 K miles and runs great no any problem as yet anyway maintenance is necessary
Thanks again :)

If your STS is a 93/94/95 it needs the coolant replaced every 2-3 years/24-35K miles to keep the corrosion protection at the correct level. If your STS is a 96 or later it has the DexCool coolant and can go 5 years or 100K miles before it needs to be changed. Checking it is a good thing but it has to be drained and replaced at 5 years or 100,000 miles even if it checks out okay. You cannot check the corrosion protection left in the coolant so it has to be replaced.

Use the oil life monitor to change your oil. Reset it at the oil change and follow it. It customizes the oil change interval based on your driving schedule. If you do only short trips in cold weather 3000 miles may not be often enough. The monitor actually works very well.

JohnnyLfromCT
01-29-04, 12:24 PM
5 years or 100k be damned...

I flushed the system when I bought my '98 at 71k, & I'll do it again at 100,000 miles.

The cooling system is perhaps the most crucial thing to keep in top-condition in a Northstar, due to the tremendous heat the engine generates.

Geno Castellano
01-29-04, 12:33 PM
5 years or 100k be damned...

I flushed the system when I bought my '98 at 71k, & I'll do it again at 100,000 miles.

The cooling system is perhaps the most crucial thing to keep in top-condition in a Northstar, due to the tremendous heat the engine generates.

I totally agree with you. You can't maintain the cooling system too much. With any and every all-aluminum engine and engines with aluminum heads the proper coolant corrosion protection is imperative. It really can't be emphasized enough.

There's been tons of high mileage and high hour stress testing with the DexCool coolant and it is good for 5 years/100K. This is not to say that replenishing the system with fresh coolant sooner than that isn't advisable but it's nice when purchasing a 96 or later Northstar Cadillac to not have to worry as much about how often the previous owner maintained the cooling system. That is the main thing. A lot of current Northstar buyers/owners are currently paying the price for the 93/94/95 engines needing continuous cooling system maintenance that, unfortunately, wasn't done. The damage shows up late in life when the head gaskets fail, the cooling system/heater core clots up with congealed coolant, heads crack in the exhaust ports, and on and on and on...

I'm all for the most cooling system maintenance that anyone wants to do. I wouldn't recommend flushing, however... That just introduces plain tap water into the system that can't be totally eliminated. Just drain and refill with fresh, premixed 50/50 Coolant/distilled water and that's plenty sufficient. That is easy enough to accomplish that it can be done yearly even without too much work and that really keeps the corrosion inhibitors up to par.

Cadillacboy
01-29-04, 05:49 PM
Hello again ,

I'd wish to thank you for the speechs and my STS is 96 .Northstar always gets warmer when in a crowded traffic ,however it loves highways to my experience and inference because unlike other engines when I go faster temperature moves down .
Thanks again for enlightening :)

JohnnyLfromCT
01-29-04, 10:36 PM
Geno,

Are you a GM technician of some sort? I see on this board that you come correct with your answers, son! I need the knowledge, as I've only had my STS for 6 months, & I'm trying to learn all I can about the Northstar motor.

BTW - I wouldn't put the hose in my radiator, I just used the word flush as a generic term. :D

Geno Castellano
01-29-04, 11:08 PM
Geno,

Are you a GM technician of some sort? I see on this board that you come correct with your answers, son! I need the knowledge, as I've only had my STS for 6 months, & I'm trying to learn all I can about the Northstar motor.

BTW - I wouldn't put the hose in my radiator, I just used the word flush as a generic term. :D

I have a lot of hands-on experience with engines in-general and quite a bit of practice with my own Northstars. :)

I would also recommend the GM coolant supplement pellets or the BarsLeaks "golden seal" powder to seal the cooling system when you refresh it to guard against any nuisance leaks with all the aluminum castings. Install it into the radiator hose, not the surge tank.

The simplest, easiest, most accurate and least expensive education you can get about the Northstar and your whole car is to buy a GM service manual and read it. There's important detail in there about the complete engine, transmission and every system in the car including all the trouble shooting diagrams, etcetera. Check out ebay for manuals or go to www.helmsinc.com (http://www.helmsinc.com). Only go with the Helms manual/factory manual. The Chiltons and Haynes aren't worth the money and are even sometimes misleading!