: Brake noise

TTJR-CTS-V
05-23-06, 09:57 PM
Just turned 18k miles and my brakes have been making noise for some time now. The mechanic said its normal for brake squeak, and that it looks like I still have lots of pad left. Anybody else having this problem? Now that the weather is warming up and I have the windows down its really annoying!:rant2:

v-ape
05-23-06, 10:08 PM
Just turned 18k miles and my brakes have been making noise for some time now. The mechanic said its normal for brake squeak, and that it looks like I still have lots of pad left. Anybody else having this problem? Now that the weather is warming up and I have the windows down its really annoying!:rant2:

Mine squeak until they warm up... Do a couple of hard stops and see if thats what it is. The Ferdo's are closer to a racing compound than average stockies... (at least I think :bighead: )

Seattle CTS-V
05-23-06, 10:21 PM
Squeaks are normal for higher performance pads. Just ask the Porsche guys. Warming them up helps.

TTJR-CTS-V
05-24-06, 12:01 PM
The next time I am smoking my friends Porsche with the V I will know that I am in good company with noisy brake pads! The noise does stop if you hit the brakes hard, seems to be working fine, no fade.

50 4Ever
05-24-06, 09:08 PM
I have 15K on my '05 stock pads and no brake noise. Your rotors might just need a fresh layer of carbon layed down on them. After your brakes are at operating temperature, make 4 or 5 medium slow downs from 60 to 15 and a couple of hard ones from 60 to 15. I have aftermarket pads in my Corvette (Performance Friction Z-Rated) and when they start squeaking I just do the above and the squeaks disappear.

:thumbsup:

Poopie D
05-24-06, 10:11 PM
I did this yesterday and it worked great for my squeaky brakes :thumbsup:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

TTJR-CTS-V
05-25-06, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the tip, it worked great for me too! I guess that I should test out our super car brakes more often, besides its tons of fun to play race car driver.:thumbsup:

Staxxin
05-25-06, 01:00 PM
Squeaking and the dust is killer towards end of life. I was able to get about 34k out of my stock brakes. Lindsay put on a set of Hawks and what a difference... Zero noise and practically no dust.

FLnick06
05-25-06, 05:21 PM
Had noise, drove me insane, nothing more embarrasing. Bought hawks, sound good.