: Starter hanging up

scottimartini
05-23-06, 06:42 PM
On occasion, but happening more frequently, the starter hangs up for a a half-second or so after I've released the key. Since it does not happen all the time, the dealer can not find the problem nor can they find any bulletins about it. Have any of you had the same issue? Do you think it is anything to worry about? I guess the dealer can't fix it until it breaks completely, which doesn't make sense. Thanks

GT04CTS-V
05-23-06, 06:44 PM
On occasion, but happening more frequently, the starter hangs up for a a half-second or so after I've released the key. Since it does not happen all the time, the dealer can not find the problem nor can they find any bulletins about it. Have any of you had the same issue? Do you think it is anything to worry about? I guess the dealer can't fix it until it breaks completely, which doesn't make sense. Thanks

It's normal, the car will continue to crank until it starts, then the key will be released.

GT

DILLIGAF
05-23-06, 06:49 PM
Mine does that too.No big deal

05-23-06, 07:01 PM
yeah this seems to be an added feature. It has only bothered me once or twice when the engine fired a little before the starter disengaged....and the "rattle" as the flywheel teeth bang against the starter teeth. It's a bit disconcerting.

V-SATX
05-23-06, 07:29 PM
I have also had this but no unusual noises.

Rich H
05-23-06, 09:29 PM
My problem seems to be the spring loaded ignition switch not returning immediately from the start to the run position after I release it. Sometimes it just hangs up for a split second and the starter continues to turn even though the engine acts like it has started.

ewill3rd
05-23-06, 09:56 PM
It's normal.
Try this, don't even try to crank it until it starts, just really quickly and momentarily turn the key, when you release it you'll find that the engine computer has control of the starter, it will crank it for a given time or until it starts. When the engine rpm reaches a certain limit the computer will release the starter relay and it will shut off.
It doesn't work like the old days where the key actually controlled the starter, it doesn't. It's an input to the PCM, the PCM checks with the theft system to see if it's okay and then the car starts itself while you sit there thinking you are doing something.
GM switched to this type of setup in the W car starting in '97 and it's filtered into almost everything.

ssmith100
05-23-06, 09:57 PM
My starter was replaced last week. It never did hang up though. Got in it on a Monday morning and she wouldn't engage. Thought it was a battery problem but wasn't. Good luck.

Shane

Rich H
05-23-06, 10:13 PM
It's normal.
Try this, don't even try to crank it until it starts, just really quickly and momentarily turn the key, when you release it you'll find that the engine computer has control of the starter, it will crank it for a given time or until it starts. When the engine rpm reaches a certain limit the computer will release the starter relay and it will shut off.
It doesn't work like the old days where the key actually controlled the starter, it doesn't. It's an input to the PCM, the PCM checks with the theft system to see if it's okay and then the car starts itself while you sit there thinking you are doing something.
GM switched to this type of setup in the W car starting in '97 and it's filtered into almost everything.

Thanks for the explanation. Then if the car acts like it is running with the starter still turning it seems to me that the relay is at fault and not shutting down the starter when the specified rpm is met. In any case, there is something not quite right since this happens intermittently.

v-ape
05-23-06, 10:17 PM
I was gonna ask the same question... good to know its normal

sotxmike
05-24-06, 12:55 AM
Mine will do this only on a cold start after sitting for a couple of days. Glad to know this is normal.

Dennisscars
05-24-06, 12:59 AM
your basically "telling" HAL it to start it... cuts down on the grinding.

ewill3rd
05-24-06, 06:38 AM
There is a possibility that the bendix can stick in the flywheel, this will usually make a horrible noise. It is more common on older cars for the starter to fail that way. I haven't seen it happen in a loooooong time but that doesn't mean it's NOT possible. It's hard to tell from your description exactly what is going on but it sounds like it could be a normal condition. My Trailblazer does what I am describing too. This system has the benefit that if the engine is running and you try to crank it again, it won't because the PCM already knows the engine is running. Prevents a lot of starter abuse with people trying to start an already running car.

I'll see if I can find some information on the cranking system for you guys.

Starting System Description and Operation
The starter motors on this vehicle are non repairable starter motors. They have pole pieces that are arranged around the armature within the starter housing. When the solenoid windings are energized, the pull-in winding circuit is completed to ground through the starter motor. The hold-in winding circuit is completed to ground through the solenoid. The windings work together magnetically to pull in and hold in the plunger. The plunger moves the shift lever. This action causes the starter drive assembly to rotate on the armature shaft spline as it engages with the flywheel ring gear on the engine. At the same time, the plunger closes the solenoid switch contacts in the starter solenoid. Full battery voltage is then applied directly to the starter motor and it cranks the engine.

As soon as the solenoid switch contacts close, current stops flowing thorough the pull-in winding as battery voltage is now applied to both ends of the windings. The hold-in winding remains energized; its magnetic field is strong enough to hold the plunger, shift lever, starter drive assembly, and solenoid switch contacts in place to continue cranking the engine. When the engine starts, the pinion gear overrun protects the armature from excessive speed until the switch is opened.

When the ignition switch is released from the START position, crank voltage is removed from the starter solenoid C1 terminal. Current flows from the motor contacts through both windings to ground at the end of the hold-in winding. However, the direction of the current flow through the pull-in winding is now in the opposite direction of the current flow when the winding was first energized.

The magnetic fields of the pull-in and hold-in windings now oppose one another. This action of the windings, along with the help of the return spring, cause the starter drive assembly to disengage and the solenoid switch contacts to open simultaneously. As soon as the contacts open, the starter motor is turned off.

Circuit Description
Moving the ignition switch to the START position sends a 12-volt signal to the engine control module (ECM) to command starting. Battery voltage also travels through the switch side of the Run/Crank relay then through the clutch switch, if equipped with manual transmission, and on through the coil side of the Starter relay and then to the ECM. The ECM receives class 2 information from the vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) and transmission control module (TCM) to verify that all parameters are met for starting. When all parameters are met the ECM grounds the control circuit of the Starter relay closing the switch providing battery voltage to the starter solenoid through a 30 A Maxi-Fuse.

dqw1
05-24-06, 09:04 AM
Glad it's normal.

MStoehrer
05-24-06, 09:22 AM
I thought there was a problem with mine. I'm relieved to see I’m not the only one.

MWD
05-24-06, 09:09 PM
Rather timely topic, as mine just did this to me this morning.
My first thought was that the starter circuitry was broken, and then I grinned when I realized that the computer was smarter than I anticipated.

Michael