: Hop of that L05!!! Come on guys!! 330 hp is not that far away!!!

N0DIH
05-23-06, 03:25 PM
http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/modthel03.html

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/carcraft325hp305.html

Ok, the article is on the lowly L03, but honestly, all here will work even better on the L05....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-23-06, 03:34 PM
So, 330 hp in a 4281 lb '91 Brougham...what kinda 1/4 mile times are we talking about here? Mid 14's???

N0DIH
05-23-06, 03:41 PM
Maybe, with proper gearing. Note this will be losing some bottom end torque, so stepping up to 3.42's or 3.73's is highly recommended with that size cam.

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/DynoSheets/XE262H-10_001.asp?printer=1&

Still wakes it up a LOT.

Probably best $ for $ would be these mods and a 3.75" stroke crank and you'll have a slick daily driver.

I hit 3,333 posts on this one!! I'm spending waaaay to much time here.....

N0DIH
05-23-06, 04:18 PM
The cam in this 290 hp L03 buildup is what I am looking for in my LT1! Not so high lobe sep as the Z28/TA/Vette cam.

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/290hp305.html

Competition CL 12-305-2
Lift @ valve Advertised duration 0.050 duration Int/Exh lobe seperation Intake lobe centerline
In 0.458 In 246* In 203* 110* 106*
Ex 0.467 Ex 263* Ex 212*

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-23-06, 05:08 PM
Yeah see, this is the sort of thing where I pay someone else to put it in and I reap the benefits! :cool2:

N0DIH
05-23-06, 05:10 PM
Well put one in yourself! You'll love the experience. It isn't hard, just takes some time. 4-6 hours, depending on your skill. 2 hours if you are good.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-23-06, 05:11 PM
6 hours minimum

Adam
05-23-06, 05:49 PM
oh... i seen hop and thought something different. getting a 92 Brougham with the 5.7, and its a lowrider! so i will be hopping an L05! hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-23-06, 06:09 PM
There was a guy who I talked to from myspace who had a really light mint green '92 Brougham with the 5.7, low rider also.

Destroyer
05-23-06, 06:43 PM
Great stuff!. I might have kept the TBI stuff had I seen it sooner but have absolutely no regrets going with a carb. For the sake of simplicity if nothing else. :thumbsup:

Adam
05-23-06, 08:50 PM
There was a guy who I talked to from myspace who had a really light mint green '92 Brougham with the 5.7, low rider also.

thats what i'll be rollin (save for not mint green which IMO is ugly as hell) next week! ill once again be hittin switches, and ya'll its about drove me crazy... you just dont know how much you miss it until its gone. everytime i get in my CTS i reach for my switchbox. i hate dash mounted switches, had them in my Town Car and got rid of them and built them into the box. had a few holes in my dash so when i sold the car i put them back in.

davesdeville
05-24-06, 05:09 AM
For 330hp I'd just as soon stick a stock 500 in there. A 10:1 motor will be about 10hp short but would have an extra ~180 ft.lbs. Probably similar or better mileage compared to a mouse with 3.73s. I just kinda fail to see the point.

N0DIH
05-24-06, 07:50 AM
Well, you don't have find a 500, you already have the L05 in place, and it probably still won't smoke the wimply trans the first time you step on it... And it is an excercise in "I did it". It is doable to get some decent power out of the L05 on some proven combo's. Drop a $1000 into the L05 that is already in the car and around 12-15 hours of work and you have a nice driving combo. With the Vortec heads, and that cam that isn't too big (the 203-210) I'll bet mileage improves over stock. That is 300 hp and a nice daily drive that is efficient and will stand a good chance at passing emissions, even visual test. Cad 500 won't ever pass the visual for a 91-93 car.... But it would be the ultimate drivetrain to put in.

agreed, the 500 would be a far more drivable and more enjoyable alternative, and all Cadillac. But the amount of power in the Cad would require $$ trans building, or even loss of the OD trans all together. But you could easily adapt the TBI system to the 500 or if it was me, adapt a PFI system like the LT1 EFI to it, or the LS1 EFI and make a super killer EFI 500.

caddycruiser
05-25-06, 07:56 AM
Well, you don't have find a 500, you already have the L05 in place, and it probably still won't smoke the wimply trans the first time you step on it... And it is an excercise in "I did it". It is doable to get some decent power out of the L05 on some proven combo's. Drop a $1000 into the L05 that is already in the car and around 12-15 hours of work and you have a nice driving combo. With the Vortec heads, and that cam that isn't too big (the 203-210) I'll bet mileage improves over stock. That is 300 hp and a nice daily drive that is efficient and will stand a good chance at passing emissions, even visual test. Cad 500 won't ever pass the visual for a 91-93 car.... But it would be the ultimate drivetrain to put in.

agreed, the 500 would be a far more drivable and more enjoyable alternative, and all Cadillac. But the amount of power in the Cad would require $$ trans building, or even loss of the OD trans all together. But you could easily adapt the TBI system to the 500 or if it was me, adapt a PFI system like the LT1 EFI to it, or the LS1 EFI and make a super killer EFI 500.

Exactly, and bolt-ons and bolt-ins for an engine that came stock in the car is the cleanest, and easiest of all.

Plus it'd be a heck of a lot nicer as a daily driver than some hopped up car with an old swapped in monster of an engine...

Still, all very interesting, and making an L05 quite a bit more responsive could be very fun.

N0DIH
05-25-06, 08:10 AM
Even things like a throttle body spacer could be beneficial (as for the swirl ones, not sure if it would help much except to make things more turbulent, but if it starts it to turn sooner, then yes). If you have the hood clearance, most engines with a TBI or Carb benefit in the torque dept by insulating the TBI/Carb as well as lifting its location. I have a book that talks about it (old Edelbrock book, wish they still printed it). Basically with a carb or throttle body that has a high velocity, aka, one that is on the small size, like the 2BBL TBI's, the velocity is quite high, as there isn't 4 BBL's for all the air to cruise through. But, the airflow (wet airflow) comes down at such a high velocity that it doesn't get turned enough yet and some will slam into the floor of the intake manifold floor. Not all engines are problematic, but ones with very flat intakes are. Which is why most intakes that are taller like the RPM's and Victors do improve higher end power. But you can't practically run a Victor on the street!

So adding 1 in spacer, or 2, ~can~ help this and give the A/F a slightly better time to be smoothed out before the intake manifold floor turn. Not all engines does it help, some it hurts.

You honestly have to do the work of looking at the intake floor, the design of the intake, the results that you are seeing, and then make a theory, test the theory, and then return to baseline to prove the results are valid. You can't just mod it and claim it works and no return to baseline to verify it. You also need some way of measuring your theory. HP, gas mileage, etc. If you can maybe do a controlled fixed gear acceleration in a 20 or 30 mile per hour range, you can stopwatch it and then make the change, do it again (multiple passes, 6 or more is preffered) and record all data, est margin of error, and then change back. Things like baro pressure really affect airflow in the engine, so you really have to do it in a close timeframe so you don't add in a ton too many variables.

N0DIH
05-25-06, 08:44 AM
Still, if I had a L05, I honestly would start with a set of Vortec heads and an appropriate intake. If you really are serious, you can get a Marine Vortec intake and install it (plastic) and then put your L05 TBI on it. It would gain 50 hp roughly over stock L05, often has better base gearing than the LT1, and picks up nearly as much HP. Tune the PCM for it, maybe ensure the cam is at least specs for the LT1 B/D cam, or maybe the 96-99 Vortec cam specs (they are very close, the LT1 very slightly larger). This would make a good fuel economy and drivability cam.

Then revise the PCM tune and you have an excellent daily driven car that would be a joy to drive. All for under $800 (using stock TBI intake)

More reading on the L05....
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145234

And more TBI mods: http://www.elmnet.net/~lange_c/c1500_tbi_mods.html

N0DIH
05-25-06, 12:24 PM
Now I understand fully why there is such a hatred to the L03/L05 heads!

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tbi/177465-perfect-cam-swirl-port.html

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/attachments/tbi/83171-swirl-port-heads-whyx268064x-ports.png?d=1100905955

They were on drugs when they came up with these heads!

I'll take my 301 heads over these heads stock to stock...

N0DIH
05-26-06, 12:59 PM
Hey! How'd I end up over here???