: My Rear End Noise

ssmith100
05-23-06, 12:02 PM
Had to have a post today about rear end noise so I decided I would do it. My car currently has 32,000 miles on it now with hardly any whine in the original rear end. I've had it serviced twice now and each time it gets quieter. Two months ago after installing the Spectar bushings and removing the GM bushings I noticed a faint hum in the rear. The car will do it at any speed and it's almost like a resonance hum. The funny thing is if I depress my clutch at any speed this hum goes completely away. My question is do you think this problem could be transmission and driveshaft related or I've just tightened up the rear so much I'm just going to have noise. The noise is getting so annoying now that I'm either going to remove the bushings or the V will be making a trip to E-bay in the future. Any comments??

Shane

StealthV
05-23-06, 01:03 PM
Since it happens at all speeds, it is probably too stiff for noise suppression of the ring & pinion gears.

Wonder what your V would be like without all the Dynamat...:eek:

ssmith100
05-23-06, 01:23 PM
Stealth,

The funny thing is when I depress the clutch and unload the rear I have 0 noise. As soon as the clutch reengages I get the hum. Yeah, if the car didn't have so much Dynamat in it it would be unbearable.

Shane

StealthV
05-23-06, 01:47 PM
The rear end isn't under load w/ the clutch pedal pushed in and wouldn't be as noisy. Bottom line, something is transmitting noise to the cabin. Softer bushings would help with the known trade-offs you were trying to avoid.

Seattle CTS-V
05-23-06, 02:11 PM
My rear end makes noise pretty much only with a load applied to it...mainly with a constant speed.

Hehe, I said 'rear end' and 'load'.

alcast082
05-23-06, 05:22 PM
well mine goes clunk, clank , grinds and hummms. I dropped it of at the dealer once again today. After several visits to teh dealer and some new rears I have come to the conclusion that there is no real permanent solution to any of these problems.
on the other hand keeping up when chasing down a 600rr and passing it around a bend on the freeway at 130 and climbing the v still gives you a huge grin.

ctsvett
05-23-06, 07:32 PM
whine/ hum could be the tranny....

Reed

wildwhl
05-24-06, 11:20 PM
The Specter bushings are the culprit. I've had mine in and out to make the noise go away. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

Take it to urby and have him do some more dynamat in his spare time.

WW

Closer_2001
05-25-06, 10:02 AM
Had to have a post today about rear end noise so I decided I would do it. My car currently has 32,000 miles on it now with hardly any whine in the original rear end. I've had it serviced twice now and each time it gets quieter. Two months ago after installing the Spectar bushings and removing the GM bushings I noticed a faint hum in the rear. The car will do it at any speed and it's almost like a resonance hum. The funny thing is if I depress my clutch at any speed this hum goes completely away. My question is do you think this problem could be transmission and driveshaft related or I've just tightened up the rear so much I'm just going to have noise. The noise is getting so annoying now that I'm either going to remove the bushings or the V will be making a trip to E-bay in the future. Any comments??

Shane

If this is in 6th Gear...you have the elusive (Dealers say it doesn't happen), but GM wrote a bulletin about it...Hum/whine/groan/moan...

SEE PIP#3425

It is on the FAQ

Got5onit
05-25-06, 11:17 PM
Just hit 32k miles on my V this week. Tonight while driving to dinner with my wife, I shifted into 5th and around 55mph I heard a very noticeable whine coming from the rear end. I've had my diff replaced once already at ~18k miles, so I'm familiar with that noise. Funny thing is, the whine is not present at 40mph when the 1st rear end went out.

I'm wondering if it's the rear end????