: GSD3 Mileage

pmsteinm
05-23-06, 09:12 AM
How long are the GSD3s lasting for you? I'm on my 2nd set and they are about done at 8k miles. My 1st set only lasted 6k miles (the same that the OEM F1 SC's lasted). Do you think I could get the Goodyear credit for the GSD3's that some people have been getting on the F1 SC's?

TampaV
05-23-06, 09:23 AM
I sure hope this isn't typical wear on the GS-D3's. I thought everyone was going with the GS-D3's and getting good wear. I just put a set on about 600 miles ago.

Let's hear some others comment on the mileage you're getting out of these tires.

joshdctsv
05-23-06, 09:33 AM
I'm at 22k on my GSD3s and they look like they have plenty left in them still. I had to change the stock tires at 10k.

nikon
05-23-06, 10:34 AM
according to my good year dealer as long as you stuck with stock sizes 245/45/18 you qualify for the warranty still, if you went to the 255's your sol and buying your own tires, but yes you can still get a warranty with the tires.

Seattle CTS-V
05-23-06, 01:08 PM
How long are the GSD3s lasting for you? I'm on my 2nd set and they are about done at 8k miles. My 1st set only lasted 6k miles (the same that the OEM F1 SC's lasted). Do you think I could get the Goodyear credit for the GSD3's that some people have been getting on the F1 SC's?

I sure hope mine last longer than that. Mismatched front/rear sizes will prevent rotation so I'm guessing the rears will go faster than the fronts. I'm just guessing, but I am assuming you light up the tires pretty often. Do you realize that those two black strips you leave on the pavement are actually little bits of your tires :)

pmsteinm
05-23-06, 04:21 PM
I'm still running the stock size all around. I rotate every 3k miles. I don't don't spin the wheels from a stop, but I do chirp them on the 1-2 shift sometimes. I do 3 1+g turns going to work every day, and 2 coming home. And I brake fairly hard. I guess I'm just abusive on my tires. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my previous car (2000 STS) only lasted me 8k miles per set (I went through 3 sets, rotating every 3k).

The reason I'm worried about wear now is that I'm moving, and I'll be going from driving about 8k miles a year to 18k. I don't want to end up buying 2+ sets of tires per year. I'm hoping the longer drive won't wear the tires as fast since I won't be stoping/starting and taking hard turns as much.

Florian
05-23-06, 04:21 PM
10K on mine and they still look new...

F

livingthedream
05-23-06, 08:01 PM
I have over 7 thousand on mine and they look great. Long way to go before the need for speed overtakes them.

livingthedream
turn the key and smile

pmsteinm
05-24-06, 08:03 AM
I noticed that while my left side tires look about done, my right side still have lots of tread on them. Guess I'm taking way too many hard right turns. It might be worth paying to have my tires remounted so I can swap sides.

joshdctsv
05-24-06, 11:34 AM
I noticed that while my left side tires look about done, my right side still have lots of tread on them. Guess I'm taking way too many hard right turns. It might be worth paying to have my tires remounted so I can swap sides.

Alignment issue perhaps?

mlg
05-24-06, 02:02 PM
6k, maybe another 1k left til wear bars. no maggie, just drive it like i stole it. btw, d3s have been the least entertaining tires of 3 types ive tried ansd by far the worst quality control. NEVER again!!

lawfive
05-24-06, 02:08 PM
6k, maybe another 1k left til wear bars. no maggie, just drive it like i stole it. btw, d3s have been the least entertaining tires of 3 types ive tried ansd by far the worst quality control. NEVER again!!

Drive it like you stole it = obeying all traffic laws so as not to draw attention to yourself? :)

10K and going strong. My GSD3's have been the best "compromise" tire I've found so far. Good quality, too. Sorry to hear about the variation in user experience recounted on this board.

pmsteinm
05-24-06, 03:40 PM
Alignment issue perhaps?

I don't think so. Each tire is wearing evenly across the tread, and the front & rear tires are wearing evenly. The only difference is left side tires vs right side.

ctsvinman
05-24-06, 03:47 PM
Not sure what you're doing to the tires or how you drive, all I can say is I drive AGGRESSIVE and I got over 22k miles on my first set and loved every minute of them.

At about 20k they had seen better days, but It took me a month or so to find the time to get the new ones.

Great tires, very happy and will continue to repeat on any vehicle I have like the V.

VinMan out.......

Luna.
05-24-06, 04:49 PM
If anyone wants a slightly used set of 255 GSD3s to replace their existing tires, let me know. I will work out a good deal. :)

livingthedream
05-24-06, 07:57 PM
Did someone say obey the law? Of course we do. If the speed limit is 45, I go 45, but I will tell you I am the first one to get to 45! :)

OH, we do squeeze the 9 over except in school zones.

livingthedream
turn the key and smile

benjet
05-24-06, 08:01 PM
I have 18k on mine, and *think* I'm about halfway thru mine (ok maybe more like 2/3-3/4). but either way near 30k should be attainable, and FWIW I agree with Law5.

My F1's were at the wearbars at 8k, slicks @ 12k and finally way past the point of unsafe when they came off @ 15k

sotxmike
05-24-06, 10:05 PM
Replaced my F1s in Florida while on vacation (11K) and the GSD3s had a horrible vibration @ 60mph...steering wheel moving back and forth about 1/2". Dealer was able to get rid of about 60% of the vibration, said he would have to order another set to eliminate it but not available in Fla. at the time. Goodyear knows about the problem and I will have to resolve it in South Texas. Anyone experienced this ??:confused:

mlg
05-24-06, 11:09 PM
yes, this is called SUCKY quality control. to make it simple , a tire is supposed to be a circle with a smaller circle inside. both circles are supposed to have the SAME center. many d3s are improperly manufactured and have 2 different centers making them impossible to balance. you can feel the wheel vibrate/shudder even when "balanced " by the best tech w the best equipment. the only solution is to trash the tire and start again i had 3 of 4 such tires from tire rack i dont have the time to go back again and again for tire installs therefore i will never buy Goodlaughs again. do yourself a favor and have all tires roadforce tested at install . this gives u a number that corresponds to how far apart the 2 circle centers, .ie how out of round the tire is. generally a number under 22-25 is acceptable. one of my goodlaughs was 34!!! just trying to save u all the headache i had to endure.

MSJ
05-25-06, 01:21 AM
hey paul, long time no see. i've got the falken 452's on my car. would love for you to drop by the office sometime and take my v for a spin so we can get a comparison between the gsd3's and the 452's. i've been extremely happy with the 452's and it feels like it's got a very stiff sidewall for a non-runflat. I have almost 5k on this set w/ no noticeable wear. my office is near the airport. i'm out of town for the next few days but drop me a pm and we'll catch up.

pmsteinm
05-25-06, 08:39 AM
hey paul, long time no see. i've got the falken 452's on my car. would love for you to drop by the office sometime and take my v for a spin so we can get a comparison between the gsd3's and the 452's. i've been extremely happy with the 452's and it feels like it's got a very stiff sidewall for a non-runflat. I have almost 5k on this set w/ no noticeable wear. my office is near the airport. i'm out of town for the next few days but drop me a pm and we'll catch up.

I'd like to PM you, but I only have 41/50 posts. Can you PM me?